|The de Gyrlyngtons/Girlingtons/Gillingtons|
|(1) Waleran de Gyrlynton, born 1058, died 1094. Had son, William de Gyrlyngton.
(2) William de Gyrlyngton, born circa 1094, died 1130. Had son, Sir Henry de Gyrlyngton.
(3) Sir Henry de Gyrlyngton, born circa 1130, died 1167. Had son, Waleran de Gyrlyngton.
(4) Waleran de Gyrlyngton born circa 1167, died 1203. Had son, Robert de Gyrlyngton.
(5) Robert de Gyrlyngton, born circa 1203, died 1241. Son of Waleran. Married Matilda Laton. Had sons Stephen and Thomas de Gyrlyngton. Robert was "po lo" for Matilda, the wife of Michael, who claimed the lands at Laton in 1250.
(6) Thomas de Gyrlyngton, born about 1235. Son of Robert and Matilda. Married Sabella Askeby, had son Robert de Gyrlyngton.
(7) Robert de Gyrlyngton, born about 1260. Son of Thomas and Sabella. Married Amabelia de York, daughter of William of York. Had sons Thomas, Robert, and William de Gyrylngton. Served as a man-at-arms in the Scottish Wars during the reign of Edward II.
(8) William de Gyrlyngton, born about 1290. Son of Robert and Amabelia. Married Margaret (maiden name unknown). Had sons John and William de Gyrlyngton.
(9) John de Gyrlyngton, born about 1350. Son of William and Margaret. Had sons Henry, Nicholas, and William de Gyrlyngton.
(10) William de Gyrlyngton, born 1391, died 1501. Son of John de Gyrlyngton. Married Johanna (maiden name unknown). Had son Nicholas Girlington I. He was a citizen and draper of York, and served on Parliment for York in 1440. Was Lord Mayor of York 1441.
(11) Nicholas Girlington I, born about 1430. Son of William and Johanna. Married Elizabeth (maiden name unknown). Had sons Dau, William and Nicholas.
(12) Nicholas Girlington II, born 1455, died 1531. Son of Nicholas and Elizabeth. Married Margery Montfort. Had daughters Margery and Elizabeth, had son Nicholas III.
(13) Nicholas Girlington III, born about 1500. Son of Nicholas and Margery. Married Elizabeth Hansard (daughter of Sir William Hansard and Elizabeth Hutton). Had sons Christopher, Henry, Marmaduke, Antony, and Nicholas. Had daughters Faith, Bridget, Lucy, Mary, and Dorothy.
(14) Nicholas Girlington IV, born about 1535. Son of Nicholas and Elizabeth. Married Dorothy Mennell (daughter of Sir Robert Mennell and Mary Pudsey) and had sons Thomas, Robert, and Sir John, and James, and daughter Margaret.
(15) Sir John Girlington, born 1560, died February 28th, 1612 in Thurland Castle, Tunstall, Lancashire, England. Son of Nicholas and Dorothy. Married Christianna Babthorpe, and had sons William, John, Antony, and Nicholas. Had daughters Frances, Faith, and Dorothy. He was lord of Hackforth and Hutton Longvillers in Richmondshire. He died in Thurland Castle February 28th, 1612.
(16) Nicholas Girlington, born 1593, died February 7th, 1626. Son of Sir John and Christianna. Married Jane Lambert. Had sons Josias, Nicholas, and Sir John Girlington. Had daughter Christianna.
(17) Sir John Girlington, born July 19th, 1613 at Kirkby, Malham, Yorkshire, England. Died March 1644. Son of Nicholas and Jane. Married Katherine Girlington (fifth cousin). Had sons Nicholas, William, and John. Had daughters Ann, Sarah, and Mary. Made knight, major general, and sheriff of Lancshire by Charles I on the 6th of June, 1642. Killed in the King's Service at Melton Mobray. He became heir to the family fortunes after the death of his brother Josias in youth. Like all his predecessors, he was a Roman Catholic and therefore a staunch supporter of Charles I in the English Cival War.
(18) John Girlington, born about 1630. Son of Sir John and Katherine Girlington. Married Margaret Duckett, had son Nicholas.
(19) Nicholas Gillington, born about 1675 in Thurland Castle. Son of John and Margaret. Married Mary Elenor Echols, had son John and daughters Ann, Elizabeth, Catherine, and Ellender. Was decribed by Milner Echols in his book, "History of Echols Family", as 'outlandish'. It is probable that Nicholas was illegitimate, and that his parents wed after his birth (as his father was married once before). This would explain his not inheriting any of his father's estate and his decision to migrate to the Americas.
(20) Ellender Girlington. Born 1716, died 1804. Daughter of Nicholas and Mary. Married John Chisum II. Had sons James, Absalom, Adam, Elijah, Obidaih, and John III. Had daughters Anna, Chloe, Priscilla, Elizabeth, and Sarah.