Sunday, April 2
NEW YORK -- When the Mets took the field Sunday for their last workout before Monday's Shea Stadium opener against the San Diego Padres, Rickey Henderson was not among them. He was in the Mets' executive offices, meeting with general manager Steve Phillips for almost 40 minutes, The New York Times reported in Monday's editions. "I think Rickey will be fine," Phillips said. "He shared his view of the contract, and we told him our position on it. He knows it's time to play ball now." Henderson made $1.8 million for the Mets last year, plus $100,000 in bonuses, and he triggered a $2 million option for this season when he reached his 500th plate appearance. But Henderson had a fine season last year -- batting .315, his best average in nine years, with a .423 on-base percentage and 37 stolen bases -- and he wanted the Mets to restructure this year's deal. Phillips said he had restructured an existing contract only once, to release outfielder Bobby Bonilla last fall. The Mets are also leery of extending contracts. Fred Wilpon, one of the team's co-owners, has made it a point to wait until after the season to consider extensions for Phillips and manager Bobby Valentine, whose contracts are up this year; and he said in Japan that the Mets would also wait on Henderson. Phillips reiterated that stance. "Like many of the other contracts we have right now, we'll address it at the end of the season," Phillips told the Times. Henderson, who did participate in practice after the meeting and later talked briefly with Phillips on the field, deferred all questions to the general manager. When asked if he would play Monday -- he is scheduled to lead off and play left field -- Henderson said, "We'll wait and see." On Saturday, Henderson said he was concerned that the contract could become a distraction to him, and mentioned two other years -- 1984 and '89 -- when his unhappiness affected his play. "I want to leave this game happy," said Henderson, who is 41. "I don't want to leave the game fussy and mad. I've put too much heart and soul into this game." Valentine is not worried about Henderson's commitment. In fact, Valentine -- who is experiencing the frustration of not having a contract extension -- understands Henderson's position. "Rickey's told me that he's ready to go, he knows the plan and he wants to play, wants to have a good year," Valentine said. "Rickey's a pretty professional guy from what I've seen. Pretty talented, too. Rickey's had a great career, and last year had a heck of a season. For him to think that he could get an extension is well within the proper authority, as far as I'm concerned. I don't think there's a radical thing happening here."
Back to articles.