I could have listed lot of space opera books to read as inspiration for
game mastering, but i choose only a dozen titles. I think these books
are valuable for understanding Babel's atmosphere, and some of them inspired
me during the creation of the game universe. And finally, they are good books
that you'll enjoy to read.
As the majority of these books, the main topic of Babel is cultural conflicts
( not necessarily between alien cultures):
- Language and his powers:
- 'The languages of Pao' (Jack Vance)
- 'Babel 17' (Samuel Delany)
- Life on frontier worlds:
- 'Syzygy' (Michael G. Coney)
- 'Songs of the distant Earth' (Arthur C. Clarke)
- 'Against infinity' (Gregory Benford)
- 'The dispossessed' (Ursula Le Guin)
- High tech epic:
- 'The player of games' (Iain Banks)
- 'A fire upon the deep' (Vernor Vinge)
- 'Night's Dawn' trilogy (Peter Hamilton)
- 'Forever war' (Joe Haldeman)
- Alien worlds and cultures:
- 'The crucible of time' (John Brunner)
- 'Total eclipse' (John Brunner)
- 'The mote in God's eye' (Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle)
- 'The word for world is Forest' (Ursula Le Guin)
- 'Green Lantern: Mosaic' comics
- Mysticism and perception of reality:
- 'The maze of death' (Philip K. Dick)
- 'Les guerriers du silence' trilogy (Pierre Bordage)
Some RPG books can also be valuable:
- Space Opera (FGU)
- 2300 AD (GDW)
- Megatraveller books:
- Starship operator's manual vol I (DGP)
- World builder's handbook (DGP)
- Other Suns (FGU)
- Nexus:the infinite city (Daedalus Games)
- Gurps Space (Steve Jackson)
And finally the best strategic interstellar wargame Imperial Starfire
(Task Force Game) is a must have for all SF lovers.
A little thanks to Keith Giffen,one of the best SF comics author (Legion
of Super-Heroes,Omega Men,Legion...), for his fabulous works that inspired
me many of the alien races inhabiting the Babel's sector.
The illustrations has been made with some really cool 3D tools like
Cinema 4D and Vue d'esprit.
The majority of the spaceships meshes has been created by others
than me (didn't get the time nor the talent for it).
Back to Babel Page.
Homepage hosted by Get your free homepage