|MV Georgic (II)|
|MV Georgic -- Official Cunard White Star Line Card|
|Built: 1930, Harland & Wolff, Belfast. Yard No: 896
Funnels: 2 Masts: 2
Tonnage: 27,759 GRT
Dimensions: 216.7 x 25.1 m / 711 x 82.3 ft.
Engine: Burmeister & Wain Diesel by builders.
Twin Screw; 20,000 SHP; 18 kn.
Hull: Steel, 8 Decks, Dummy forward funnel containing radio room.
Passengers: 479-Cabin Class, 557-Tourist Class, 506-3rd Class.
|The Georgic was the final ship built for the White Star Line.|
|The Georgic was launched on November 12, 1931 and delivered June 11, 1932. She made her maiden voyage from Liverpool to New York on June 25, 1932. In 1933 she replaced the Olympic during her overhaul and sailed on the Southampton to New York route. In 1934 Cunard Line and White Star Line merged to become the Cunard White Star Line. On May 3, 1935 she made her first voyage on the London to New York route. In September 1939 she was moved to the Liverpool to New York service. In 1940 she was fitted out on the Clyde as troop transport with a capacity of 3,000 troops. In May 1940 she evacuated British troops from Amdesfjord and Narvik, Norway. On July 14, 1941 the Georgic was badly damaged off Port Tewfik, Suez Canal, in a German air raid, caught fire and was beached. On October 27th she was raised and taken to Port Sudan. She commenced a 13-day voyage to Port Sudan on December 29th, towed by the cargo vessels Clan Campbell and City Of Sydney. Temporary repairs were then carried out. On March 31, 1942 she arrived at Karachi, where she was towed by the cargo vessels Haresfield and Recorder and the tug Pauline Moller. Further repairs, including work on the engines, were carried out here, and from December, completed at Bombay. On January 20, 1943 the Georgic left Bombay for Liverpool, whence she went onto Belfast. Fitted out as troop transport by Harland & Wolff. Forward funnel and mainmast removed. Her tonnage was now listed as 27,268 GRT. She was sold to the Ministry of War Transport, managed by Cunard White Star Line. In December 1944 she re-entered service after fitting out. Then again in 1948 she was refitted by Palmer & Co. at Hebburn for Australian emigrant service. One class only, with a tonnage of 27,469 GRT. On January 11, 1949 she made her first voyage from Liverpool to Sydney. In 1950 she was chartered back to Cunard but retained White Star Line colors. On May 4, 1950 she made her first post war voyage from Liverpool to New York. In 1951 she was transferred to the Southampton to New York service. Used alternately in Australia and North Atlantic service until 1955. In 1955 she was chartered to the Australian Government. On November 19, 1955 her final voyage ended at Liverpool. She was then sold to Shipbreaking Industries to be broken up. On February 1, 1956, the Georgic arrived at Faslane for breaking up.|
|MV Georgic -- Official Cunard White Star Line Card||MV Georgic -- Official Cunard White Star Line Card|
|MV Georgic -- Log Abstract Card -- Liverpool to New York -- July 30 thru August 7, 1932.|
|Back to White Star Line Ships||Back to White Star Line home||Return to Luxury Liners Of The Past home|