SS Medic

SS Medic by Montague B Black

SS Medic -- Official White Star Line Card

Built: 1899, Harland & Wolff, Belfast.    Yard No: 323
Funnel: 1   Masts: 4
Tonnage: 11,985 GRT
Dimensions: 173.7 x 19.3 m / 570 x 63.3 ft.
Engines: Quadruple Expansion by builders.
Twin Screw;  5,000 IHP;  13.5 kn.
Hull: Steel, 3 Decks, 7 holds, 21 derricks, fcsle-55 ft, bridge-107 ft, poop-57 ft.
Coal: 3,000 tons at 80 tons per day;  Cargo: 12,5000 cu. ft.  Refrig for 100,000 carcasses.
Passengers: 320 Cabin Class
Crew: Not Listed

The Medic was launched on December 15, 1898 and delivered July 6, 1899. She made her maiden voyage on August 3, 1899 from Liverpool to Sydney via Capetown. In September 1899, on her return voyage, she carried Australian men and horses to South Africa for Boer War service. In January 1900 she was returned to commercial service. From October 27, 1917 until March 26, 1919 she operated under the Liner Requisition Scheme. In June 1928 the Medic was sold to N. Bugge, Tonsberg and was rebuilt as mother ship for a whaling fleet by Grayson, Rolls & Clover Docks, Birkenhead. She was renamed Hektoria and her tonnage was listed at 13,797 GRT. In 1932 she was sold to Hektoria Ltd, London. On September 12, 1942 the Hektoria was torpedoed and sunk in the Atlantic by German submarine U-608. At that time she was in use as a British Ministry of War Transport oil tanker.

Return to Luxury Liners Of The Past home

Back to White Star Line home

Back to White Star Line Ships

1