Timeline of Jijo - David Brin's Uplift UniverseThis page contains spoilers about Brightness Reef and Infinity's Shore. Those who haven't read those books and plan to read them should exit immediately. I will refer to these books by their initials, BR and IS.
This page is under construction. Help would be greatly appreciated.
I am also building an Uplift timeline, that is more "canonical" than the above timeline, since mine is based on the books.
Units of TimeMany different time units are used in the Uplift Storm Trilogy. I will try to summarize them:
- Terran units (year, month, day, hour, minute, second). Probably used by Earthlings, but not by Daniks or Humans of Jijo.
- Jijo units (year, month, day). Probably used by
Jijoans. I don't know yet how to correlate Jijo's
Month (also referred as Lunar Cycle) with the three moons.
I've been testing those hypotheses:
- The Lunar Cycle corresponds to Loocen's Synodic Period. This can't be true, because Loocen's Synodic Period [the period between two New Moons] is too small
- The Lunar Cycle corresponds to Torgen's or Passen's Synodic Period. This might be rejected, because it doesn't make sense to use a lesser Moon to define a Lunar Cycle.
- The Lunar Cycle corresponds to some combination of the Two Biggest Moons - Loocen and Torgen - for example, the 1st day of each month corresponding to their conjunction.
- The Lunar Cycle corresponds to some combination of the Three Moons. This would require that the Three Moons would have their orbital motions somehow correlated. This is good, because IMHO the only way an Earth-like planet can have three moons of appreciable size is when those three moons are locked up into a resonance [like Jupiter's Io, Europa and Ganimedes]. The 1st day of each month would then correspond to some relative configuration of the three, for example, Loocen and Torgen in conjunction and Passen 90 degrees behind them.
- Galactic units (midura, pidura, etc).
- Jijo Year 1930 has 17 Jijo Months (Alvin, in the beginning of BR). It's not possible to know if this relation is valid for all Jijo Years, but I conjecture that Jijo must use a luni-solar calendar [like Earth's Jewish Calendar].
- In BR, VIII, Lark, Ling tells Lark that Humans entered Galactic Civilization 350 Jijo Years ago. Using the number in the Uplift Timeline of 280 Earth Years for this same period, we can get an accurate ratio for the ratio (Jijo Year):(Earth Year). A Jijo Year has 292.2 Earth Days. The numbers in the Uplift Timeline do not fit the books (check my Error Page), but this period of 280 Earth Years still holds - approximately. This period may be anything from Earth Years, for a duration of a Jijo Year varying from Earth Days.
- The Glossary of IS translates the Galactic
units into Earth units:
1 dura = 1/3 minute 1 jadura = 43 hours 1 kidura = 1/2 second 1 midura = 71 minutes 1 pidura = 67 duras =~ 4 daysLast relation is a typographical error; using 350 * 17 Jijo Months = 280 * Earth Years = 280 * 365.25 * 1440 minutes, we get 4 Jijo Months = 99004 minutes; using 1 midura = 63 duras we get 1 pidura = 64 miduras = 64 * 71 minutes = 92016 minutes. In other words, 1 pidura is almost 4 Jijo Months, and not 4 Jijo days. The other units fit into a base 6 system:
1 kidura = 6-2 duras = 1/2 second 1 dura = 60 duras = 1/3 minute 1 midura = 63 duras = 71 minutes 1 jadura = 65 duras = 43 hours 1 pidura = 67 duras = 4 Jijo Months or 2 Earth Months
- Half Jijo Day is, at least, 5 miduras long: in BR, II.Book of the Slope, Dwer, Dwer sets 5 tobar seeds to be consumed during the night, each one taking a midura.
- This gives an upper limit of (Jijo Year:Jijo Day) = (Jijo Year:Earth Day) / (Jijo Day:Earth Day) = / (Jijo Day:Midura) * (Earth Day:Minute) / (Midura:Minute) = / (2 * 5) * 1440 / 71 = Jijo Days per Jijo Year. On the other hand, Humans seem well adapted to Jijo's cycle of day and night, so Jijo's day can't be longer than 48 hours, giving a lower limit of (Jijo Year:Jijo Day) = (Jijo Year:Earth Day) / (Jijo Day:Earth Day) = Jijo Days per Jijo Year.
- Also, when the Urunthai take Sara, Emerson, and other people, they begin travelling after Sunset, and there are at least 3 miduras before midnight. This gives an upper limit of (Jijo Year:Jijo Day) = Jijo Days per Jijo Year.
- Jijo Year 1930 (when all action of BR and IS happen - not counting, of course, flashbacks) must have between Jijo days.
- a Jijo Day, then, corresponds to (Jijo Day:Earth Day) = (Jijo Year:Earth Day) / (Jijo Year:Jijo Day) = Earth days.
- Using Galactic Units, a Jijo Day corresponds to miduras.
- In one midura, Jijo rotates - relative to Jijo's Sun - of an angle between degrees.
Timeline, by daysI still can't fit all events into a unique timeline, because there are too many ambiguities. For example, if we follow Sara from the day she left Dolo Dam to the day she arrives in Mount Guenn, it seems that only a few days have elapsed. But this period corresponds to the date of the arrival of the Rothen until two days after the Battle of the Glade, and (in other characters' accounts) this period is months long! So, we must assume that Sara spend a long time in Tarek Town and in Biblos!
The errors that are obvious are marked in Red with the suggested correction in Green . Deductions are in Blue .
I decided to break the timeline into five sets, each set, internally, with fixed dates.
Reference: arrival of the Rothen
|BR II. Asx||0||noon||The Rothen/Danik ship lands in the Gathering Glade|
|BR II. Sara||1||00:00 or so||Meeting in Dolo Dam||rising|
|BR IV. Sara||1||dawn|| Sara et al leave Dolo Dam in ship Hauph-woa
down river Roney
|BR IV. Sara||1||sunset||Ship Hauph-woa reaches Unity Point|
|BR IV. Sara||2||00:00 +/- some hours||River Roney lit by two moons||not visible||visible||visible|
|BR VI. Sara||2||morning||Ship Hauph-woa is ambushed in Bing Village|
|BR VIII. Sara||2||mid-afternoon||Ship Hauph-woa reaches Canyon Country|
|BR X. Sara||2||late afternoon||Concert in ship Hauph-woa to celebrate The Stranger's recovery|
|BR X. Sara||2||almost nightfall||Ship Hauph-woa arrives in Tarek Town|
Reference: Robot Battle in One-of-a-Kind's LairSome events of this partial timeline overlap the events of the above timeline. However, I can't get an exact correlation between the two.
|BR II. Asx||-3 or -2||noon||The Rothen/Danik ship lands in the Gathering Glade|
|BR II. Dwer||-2||1/2 midura before sunset||Dwer captures a glaver in the Rimmers|
|BR II. Dwer||-1||before dawn||Rety steals Dwer's bow|
|BR II. Dwer||-1||pre dawn||Dwer wakes and notices that his bow had been stolen||hovering over sillouetted peaks|
|BR VI. Dwer||0||nightfall|| A Danik Robot attacks the Bird-Robot
In the battle, they destroy each other
while destroying One-of-a-Kind
Reference: Battle of the Glade
|BR XX. Sara||-4 or -3||sunset||Sara et al leave Biblos at sunset|
|implicit||-3 or -2||Sara et al reach Kandu Landing|
|BR XXIV. Sara||-2||sunset||Sara et al leave Kandu Landing and begin the crossing of Warril Plain|
|BR XXIV. Sara||-1||dawn||Sara et al come to Uryutta's Oasis||visible before dawn|
|BR XX. Lark||-1||afternoon|| Lark begins writing letter to Sara
to be delivered to Biblos
|BR XXIV. Sara||-1||afternoon|| UrKachu's Urunthai take control of Caravan
Jop's companions come before sundown
|BR XX. Lark||-1||sunset|| The Danik scoutship leaves Gathering Glade
and goes to the Gray Hills
|BR XXII. Dwer||-1||a midura past sunset|| The Danik scoutship passes over Dwer in
its way to the Gray Hills
|BR XXIV. Sara||-1||post-sunset of BR_p503|| Caravan split in two
Faster group goes South
Moonlit pool with Blade
|not visible; see below|
|BR XXIV. Sara||-1||post-sunset of BR_p503 + at least 2 miduras||Second blood-stop||rising|
|BR XX. Asx||-1||night|| Zealots destroy the buried Rothen cube
|BR XXIV. Sara||-1||post-sunset of BR_p503 + at least 3 miduras = midnight||Third (?) blood-stop|
|BR XXIV. Sara||0||dawn||Sara et al stop at dawn, outside Warril Plain|
|BR XXIV. Lark||0||morning||Lester Cambel turns on the psi-emiters|
|BR XXII. Dwer||0||during the day||lots of stream crossings in the Gray Hills|
|BR XXVI. Sara||0||afternoon||Urunthai and Jop's fanatics are subdued by the Good Guys|
|BR XXVIII. Sara||0||sunset||Blade comes with Ulgor|
|BR XXVIII. Sara||0||sunset + several miduras||up in the sky|
|BR XXIV. Asx||0||after sunset||The Rothen Ship returns in search for Ro-kenn et al|
|BR XXVIII. Lark||0||night||Polkjhy, the Jophur Ship, arrives on Jijo|
|BR XXVIII. Sara||1||00:00|| Rothen ship returns
Jophur ship comes
Emerson returns with donkeys
Ulashtu and the Ilias come
|IS Part One, Sooners, Sara||1||00:00 h to 03:00?||Running South with Ilias through Central Slope|| not visible but
should be visible
|not visible||pale light|
|IS Part One, Sooners, Sara||1||03:00? h to sunrise||Running South with Ilias through Central Slope||rising|
|IS Sooners The Stranger||1||sunrise||flashbacks of Emerson|
|BR XXII. Dwer||1||morning|| Dwer at al are blocked by a mighty ravine;
party splits, searching for a pass
|IS Part Two, Lark||1||probably during the day|| Ling sees Lark and Uthen's book
in late One of a Kind's lair
|IS Part Two, Sara||1||midday to sunset||crossing of Great Marsh|
|IS Part Two, Sara||1||sunset|| Arrival at River Gentt
Party enters Tunnel under River Gentt
|IS Part Three, Sara||2||afternoon||Arrival at the city of Xi, in the Spectral Flow||not visible||not visible||not visible|
|IS Part Three, Sara||2|| sunset;
few miduras after Sara arrived at Xi
|Rest of Horsewomen and Urs arrive at the city of Xi||not visible||not visible|| near far west horizont but
should be in the eastern part of the sky
|IS Part Five, Emerson||2 and 3||from sunset to sunrise||Emerson at Xi||visible during the night, probably rises during the night|
|IS Part Five, Sara||3||day|| Sara et al go from Xi to Mount Guenn
Sara suffers an accident while climbing
|BR XXII. Dwer||3||noon|| Dwer arrives at Falls
He detects Ul-Tahni's band, that had been here
|BR XXII. Dwer||5 to 7||Dwer returns to Falls with Lena, Jeni and Danel|
|BR XXII. Dwer||6, 7, and 8||from 00:00 to 06:00||Dwer's tactic: wake after midnight and scout under the light of two small moons||visible||visible|
|IS Part Three, Dwer||10||day||The Danik aircraft is bombing the Rift|
Reference: aerial battle in the Gray Hills beachThis table overlaps nicely with the above table, with a 10 days difference. In other words, the aerial battle at the Grey Hills beach happens exactly 10 days after the Battle of the Glade.
|BR XXII. Dwer||-5 to -3||Dwer returns to Falls with Lena, Jeni and Danel|
|BR XXVI. Rety||-3||?||Ul-Tahni and 12 urs are imprisoned in Rety's Band's Prison|
|BR XXVI. Dwer||-2||evening|| Dwer expedition plans next action
|not visible||not visible|| not visible
or should it be visible?
|BR XXVI. Dwer||-1||a midura after midnight|| Dwer wakes up
Danel is trying to talk to Mudfoot
|two moons rising|
|BR XXVI. Dwer||-1||morning|| Kunn and Jass leave the Gray Hills and go to the
Gray Hills beach
Dwer, Lena and Danel attack the Danik Robot
Danel Ozawa is killed
The Danik Robot, carrying Dwer, Mudfoot, Rety, and Yee, go South
|IS Part Three, Dwer||0||day||The Danik aircraft is bombing the Rift|
|IS Part Three, Dwer||0||day||A Jophur corvette battles with the Danik airplane|
|IS Part Six, Dwer||0||1/2 midura after nightfall||Dwer plans attack against Jophur corvette||not visible||not visible||visible|
|IS Part Seven, Kaa||1||00:00 - 12:00|| Dolphin raid in Gray Hills beach captures Kunn, Jass and the Jophur
Dwer, Mudfoot, Rety, and Yee enter the submarine Hikahi
|IS Part Seven, Kaa||2||morning||Kaa and Peepoe leave Kaa's Outpost and go to a cave near the volcano|
|IS Part Eight, Kaa||4 to 9||day||Mopol and Zhaki atack Kaa and kidnap Peepoe|
Reference: capture of Biblos by the Jophur
|IS Part Eight, Kaa||-1||day||Mopol and Zhaki atack Kaa and kidnap Peepoe|
|IS Part Eight, Blade||-1||afternoon||Blade departs from the ruins of Ovoom Town in a baloon||going to set after sunset||going to rise after Loocen sets|
|IS Part Nine, Kaa||0||00:00 - 06:00||Kaa saves a hoon from drowning, at Wuphon Port||not visible||rising|
|IS Part Nine, Nelo||0||morning||The Jophur capture Biblos|
|Maybe it's necessary to add one day here|
|IS Part Nine, Kaa||0||nightfall||The Submarine Hikahi enters Wuphon Port|
|IS Part Nine, Alvin||0||18:00 - 24:00|| After meeting of Gillian and Uriel
Heavy clouds cover Western sky
|visible in the East, close to Izmunuti|
|IS Part Ten, Dwer||0||00:00 plus or minus some hours||Dwer begins his Baloon trip|
|IS Part Ten, Dwer||1||at sunrise||Polkjhy races towards ballons|
|IS Part Ten, Gillian||1||soon after sunrise||Streaker leaves Jijo||between Jijo and Izmunuti|
Loocen lower than Torgen ?All the books refer to Loocen as the first and Torgen as the second moon; I guessed that this was size and distance from Jijo. This has to be checked against the books.
Jijo Month = Loocen Synodic Month ?Using the fact that Asx refers to the date of the Rothen arrival as
It was springtime, early in the second lunar cycle of the nineteen hundred and thirtieth year of our exile-and-crime, when the Rothen arrived, manifesting unwelcome in our sky. (...)(BR, II. Book of the Slope, Asx), together with a statistical overlap of my estimations of a Jijo Month and Loocen's synodic period, I supposed that a Jijo Month were the period from a New Loocen to the next New Loocen.
However, this hypothesis can be easily disproven. Early in a lunar synodic month means that the Moon is Waxing Crescent, or that the Moon sets during the night (soon after New Moon it sets soon after sunset; and just before Full Moon it sets just before sunrise; but it never rises during the night - see The Moon: an Introduction for more details about the phases of the Moon). But in Chapter II Dwer, at the time Rety steals his bow, he observes Loocen over sillouetted peaks before dawn, and in Chapter II Sara there is a meeting in the night after the Rothen arrival, and Loocen rises during this meeting
Using an other origin for Loocen's Month still can't give the correct number of days per month, because Loocen Synodic Month is too small.
Jijo Month = Torgen Synodic Month ?I tested this hypothesis hoping that it would not be true; Torgen is the second moon (probably only in brightness but not in distance from Jijo), and there's no reason it would be chosen as the month reference.
Alas, I guess I can disprove it with a reasonable certainty: from the tables, above, notice three Torgen risings from the period from midnight to dawn; these three risings are set apart by at least 5 days (see BR p.543, IS p.38, and IS p.503), later when I find time to write what I calculated O:-)
Under ConstructionPreliminary Numbers:
- Loocen Synodic Period from 4 to 8 Jijo Days
- Torgen Synodic Period from 4 to 12 Jijo Days
- Passen Synodic Period above 2 Jijo Days
The TimelineThis timeline uses Jijo units of Time. When a date in Earth units is more accurate than the date in Jijo units, I will give it. Otherwise, chech my Brin Timeline.
Like my other timelines, I will put some arrows to help the reader follow some characters. However, I decided to represent uncertainty by a color code, from green, representing a direct quote from the canon, to red, when the canon can only give an approximate date. Or: Error > 1000 Years, Error 100-999 Years, Error 10-99 Years, Error 1-9 Years, Exact Year.
Timeline (Jijo Years) created: 1999-06-07
Great modification: 2000-06-20
- Alberto Monteiro's home page
- Other brinstuff in this site:
Please send any comments to email@example.com