References for Extensive Reading in EFL/ESL
The idea that learners can develop their language knowledge through extensive reading is attractive for several reasons. First, reading is essentially an individual activity and therefore learners of different proficiency levels could be learning at their own level without being locked into an inflexible class program. Second, it allows learners to follow their interests in choosing what to read and thus increase their motivation for learning. Third, it provides the opportunity for learning to occur outside the classroom.
- Articles from the Cambridge English Readers authors. Philip Prowse, Series Editor.
- "What is the secret of extensive reading?", "Success with reading - how to organise a reading programme: Part 1: Intensive reading, Part 2: Extensive reading", "Success with extensive listening" and more.
- The Edinburgh Project on Extensive Reading
- "...is a non-profit making research and development project set up in 1981 by the Institute for Applied Language Studies in the University of Edinburgh."
- Extensive Reading Pages
- "The ER Working Group is an informal collection of individuals with an interest in extensive reading and its promotion in L2 instruction." Site includes: "What is Extensive Reading?", "Starting an ER program Research", "Presentation Handouts", "Model Programs", "Materials for ER", "Reviews", "Annotated bibliography", "Discussion", "ER Working Group"
- The Language Teacher
- Issue 21.05 - May 1997 Special Issue: Extensive Reading
- Paul Nation's Homepage
- "Paul Nation is an Associate Professor (Reader) in Applied Linguistics at Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand...
His forthcoming articles deal with vocabulary density and reading, language curriculum design, vocabulary and graded readers, and equivalent forms of a dictation test of vocabulary."
- Search Internet TESL Journal archives for Extensive Reading
- Search Google Scholar for Extensive Reading
Page of links to online articles on extensive reading.
Table from Hill's TLT article and an updated version.