Full Name: Martin Lewis PURDY
Date of Birth: 1965
Nationality: Dual: New Zealand/British
Freelance translator, part-time coin dealer and limousine operator, trading as "Translate Ltd".
Business website www.translatelimited.com
Editor/Translator and Manager (Asian Languages),
• Civil Servant employed by NZ Government, 1988-1993
Awarded NAATI III accreditation as Japanese-English and German-English translator, 1995
Japanese Language Proficiency Course, Grade II, 1988
Diploma of the British Esperanto Association (DBEA), 1981
Languages I have translated from in the past 17 years: German, Dutch, French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Japanese, Korean, Afrikaans, Latin and Catalan.
de Blosseville: A Proposal for a Penal Colony in
into English of Steine und Steinbrüche im Alten Ägypten (Stones and
Quarries in Ancient Egypt) by R & D Klemm, published by the
• Editing and layout of New Zealand Numismatic Journal, ISSN 0028-8527, c. 2000 – date.
• Editing and layout of W. O’Kane/ M & R Purdy, Twaalfhoven Family Reunion, Bodegraven 1954 – New Zealand 2004, Upper Hutt, March 2009, ISBN 978-0-473-14830-0
• Editing and layout of H. MacMaster, Catalogue of New Zealand Commemorative Medals 1941 – 2007, to be published by the Royal Numismatic Society of New Zealand, scheduled for late 2009
Also a contributor to the following publications:
• Weltmünzkatalog, 20. Jahrhundert (G. Schön), 32nd ed. 2003
• Standard Catalog of Unusual World Coins, 4th ed. 2005
• Standard Catalog of World Coins, 20th Century, 2008 ed. - date
• Standard Catalog of World Coins, 21st Century, 2008 ed. - date
• President, Royal Numismatic Society of NZ Inc., 2003-2006
• President, Wellington Coin Club Inc., 1989-1994
• Vice-President, Royal Numismatic Society of NZ Inc., 1999-2003
• Secretary, Royal Numismatic Society of NZ Inc., 1990-1997
• Editor, New Zealand Numismatic Journal, 2000-date
• Editor, RNSNZ Newsletter, 1995-2005
• WordPerfect 5.1 Fast-Track Course, Office Automation Specialists, July 1992
Classes in Introductory and Intermediate Arabic,
• Three-week specialised analysis course, November 1990
• Units from State Services Commission management course, September 1990
• Two-day seminar on assertiveness training techniques, NZIM, September 1990
• Two-day stress management course, April-May 1990
• Two-week specialised writing course, May 1989
• Touch-typing, word-processor operation (Word, some experience with Japanese and Korean-language WP operation)
• Co-presenter of monthly Esperanto broadcasts on Wellington Access Radio, Oct 1992 - Mar 1994
• Life Member, American Numismatic Association; Member, NZ Society of Translators and Interpreters, Royal Numismatic Society of New Zealand Inc. (including the Wellington Coin Club), Manawatu Numismatic Society, Tauranga Numismatic Society, Wanganui Numismatic Society, Numismatic Society of Auckland, Australian Numismatic Society, NZ Numismatic Dealers' Association, Armstrong Siddeley Car Club in New Zealand Inc., Armstrong Siddeley Owners' Club Ltd (UK), Armstrong Siddeley Car Club (Australia), Vintage Car Club (NZ), NZ Rolls-Royce & Bentley Club, Universal Esperanto Association (Netherlands).
a Fellow of the Royal Numismatic Society of
Back to personal website.
This page last updated Tue 21 Apr 2009.