The Jabonga Catholic Church
Augustinian Recollect Friars (OAR) established Jabonga
mission in 1621 along the bank of Calinawan River as
the site where Bgy. Colorado is situated at present.
The Spanish Jesuit Missionary, Fr. Saturnino Urios, led
the villagers in 1877 gathering narra, magcono, tugas,
bayong and other materials for a more permanent church.
On the following year, construction was constructed near
the site where the Celupan River empties into the lake.
Fr. Guillermo Llobera, SJ, blessed the new Church
measuring 84x24x16 varas on the feast of Corpus Christi
of 1897 missionaries from Butuan residence supplied the
pastoral care of the pueblo since its foundation.
In 1915, Dutch Missionaries of the Sacred Heart (MSC) succeeded the Jesuits in shepherding this "Vista". Bullet-pocked marks her sanctuary walls and ceiling were her fair share of World War II memories. In 1955, the parish of Kitcharao took care of her spiritual administration.
Monsignor DF Morelos, the First Bishop of Butuan raised Jabonga and Santiago towns into a single parish on May 27, 1979 with our Church of Our Lady of Assumption as the Mother Church. Fr. Avelino Balatucan was named first pastor. Typhoon Nitang blew off a portion of its roof on September 3, 1984 leaving intact the antique table of the main altar.
As the nation celebrates the centennial year of Philippine Independence, Monsignor Juan de Dios Pueblos, the present Bishop of Butuan, appointed Fr. Joesio C. Amalla on June 1, 1998 for the "Cura Animarum" of the present day Jabonganons. O Dulcis Virgo Maria, Regina in Caelum Assumpta, Pro nobis ad Te Recurrentibus ora!