But my mouth would encourage you; comfort from my lips would bring you relief.

Job 16:5 (NIV)

The People (Luke 1)

by Cathy Vinson

My grandmother used to begin many sentences with "They say..." As a child I used to wonder just who "they" was.

Who are "they," the people who surround our lives? Zecharias and Elizabeth's experience in Luke 1 provides an insight into the people, "their friends and neighbors" (LUKE 1:57) and what is realistic to expect from them.

"...the people were waiting and wondering" (1:21). As Zecharias took longer at the altar than expected; a scuffling of feet and murmuring begins. "...my disgrace among the people" (1:25) speaks Elizabeth of their contempt for her barrenness. "Her friends and neighbors heard...and shared in her joy" (1:58). They have a genuine gladness to share in Elizabeth's fulfilled promise. "THEY were going to name him Zecharias" (1:59). As Elizabeth resists their assumed name for the baby, they bypass her for the father. When his mouth is loosened, "the neighbors were filled with awe" and "the people were talking about all these things" (1:65).

Even in our own lives, we can get a sense of "the people." They are dear, and Scripture does not condemn them; they do, however, lack several qualities that would truly minister to us in our vulnerable time. Because they are filled with their own perplexities, they need to generalize our circumstances. They need to accept us in the norm, and when God's ways cause us to overstep the norm, a scandal arises in their hearts. Though civil to us, we long for more support, an embrace in our barrenness, a relieving of the weight off our shoulders.

"The people," in their peripheral relationship, will usually not commit to serious prayer. Without the insight prayer provides, there is a quick willingness to misunderstand and an ease in talking "among themselves" ..."the people were talking about all these things."

This appears to be what "the people" will be for us in our lives. We can't expect more without hurtful frustration. May we thank God for those that arise in a lifetime to truly draw near and help shoulder the personal scandal each of us may carry at one time or another. And why not come forth to others, as you realize you are "the people" to them, and emerge
from being a neighbor and relative to becoming a FRIEND (Proverbs 20:6).

"The people were waiting and wondering "

(Luke 1:21)

Because they are filled with their own perplexities, they need to generalize our circumstances. They need to accept us in the norm, ...

Send a note to Cathy Vinson , the writer of this devotion.

Other Whispers from the Wilderness Devotions are found HERE

Return to the Daily Miscellany