Patton, Movie Worksheet
Major Military Characters
- Supreme Allied Commander Eisenhower (Ike)
- Gen. George Patton
- Gen. Omar Bradley
- Gen. George Montgomery
- Field Marshall Erwin Rommel (the Desert Fox)
- A. Nicknames for Germans: Huns and Krauts
- B. prima donna:
- C. anachronism:
- Make a list of items from the movie that demonstrate Patton's philosophy
about war as outined in the Patton
FIRST SETTING -- NORTH AFRICA as the Allies attempt to conquer territory from the Germans under Rommel.
- Name the first battle scene:
- Give examples of Patton's:
- A. knowledge of military history:
- B. education:
- C. sensitivity:
- D. harshness:
- E. being a "prima donna":
- F. religious beliefs:
- What causes conflicts between Patton and his superior officers?
- What do the Germans learn about Patton when they research him?
SECOND SETTING: SICILY as the Allies start the southern invasion of Europe.
- Describe how Patton and Bradley are different:
- How is Patton different from Montgomery?
- One time Patton does not follow orders and ignores a telegraph message. Why does he do this?
- What is Patton's punishment for slapping the soldier?
THIRD SETTING: FRANCE as the Allies plan the invasion of France at Normandy.
- What is Patton's role during the D-Day Invasion of Normandy?
- What did the German generals think of Hitler near the end of the war?
- Describe Patton's greatest triumph at the Battle of the Bulge:
- Explain the following quote: "The absence of war will kill him. He is the pure warrior...a magnificent anachronism."
- What did Patton think of:
- A. the Russians:
- B. politicians:
- C. the new wonder weapons:
- What differences did you notice between the documentary material (film and prose) and the "Hollywood" movie?
- If you had to be a soldierin a war, would you want to serve under Patton? Explain fully.
| Adv. 11 | Engl.
12 | Literature | Poetry
| Film | Writing
| Web Design | Resources