History & Information  |   Photographs  |  Map and Access Details  |   Links


The Point Gellibrand Lighthouse was originally located off Gellibrand Point at Williamstown. The pile light was constructed in 1906, replacing the original lightship, moored there since 1859.

The light was in service until 1976, when it was struck by the Melbourne Trader ship in heavy fog and was damaged beyond repair.  The light and tower was salvaged, and the remaining base structure subsequently destroyed and replaced by a buoy. The light was dismantled and re-erected upon the tower at the Melbourne Maritime Museum, near the Yarra River, and is now under the care of the National Trust.

* Information displays - National Trust Victoria & Melbourne Maritime Museum

Photo: The Haven Trust


Photographed by K. Eggleston, 15 July 2000 Kristie Eggleston


The Melbourne Maritime Museum also contains the Polly Woodside, a restored iron barque. Built in Belfast in 1885, the ship made 16 voyages around Cape Horn before sailing for 20 years in Australasian waters. The Melbourne Maritime Museum is accessed via Lorimer Street, Southbank, where there is ample parking. (Melway reference 2E K9).


The Point Gellibrand light is located within the grounds of the Melbourne Maritime Museum, a National Trust property, where an entry fee applies.  The light can also be freely viewed from a small distance from the wharf along the Yarra River. 

Melbourne Maritime Museum
National Trust
Ph: (03) 9699 9760
Fax: (03) 9696 6117
Email: polly@nattrust.com.au


Grant & Tracey's Lighthouse pages State Library of Tasmania

Lighthouses of Australia Inc

Page last updated:  27 December 2003

1999-2003 Kristie Eggleston. All rights reserved.
Email: kristie_eggleston@hotmail.com