HISTORY & INFORMATIONCape Woolamai
The Cape Woolamai light is a small green GRP cabinet located on the eastern end of Phillip Island, on the highest point of the island. On 5 January 1878, George Bass named the south-west cape of Phillip Island "Cape Woolamai" after an Aboriginal word for snapper, as the Cape "had the appearance of the head of a snapper".
The navigational bacon is an important landmark for passing boats and ships sailing up the eastern passage to San Remo & Newhaven. Established in 1928, the original beacon was a kerosene lantern, and it was the job of a local farmer to ride on horseback each night to light the lantern, and return to put it out in the morning.
The kerosene lantern was replaced in the late 1920's by cast-iron gas cylinders which powered the light. The current light is automatic and solar-powered, and was possibly the last acetylene light in Australia.
Grossard Point Light / Point Grant Light
The Point Grant lighthouse at the western end of Phillip Island, as pictured on Grant Maizels' website, was built in 1947, and demolished in 1998 to make way for the visitor's centre at Seal Rocks Tourist Complex. The tower was 19 metres tall, with an elevation of 52 metres. The tower at Grossard Point appears to be very similar to the Point Grant light. The very small Round Island light was built in 1997 to replace the Point Grant light, and is barely visible from the Nobbies Lookout.
Photographed by K. Eggleston, 7 November 2000 © Kristie Eggleston
MAP & ACCESS DETAILS
Page last updated: 28 December 2003
Copyright © 1999-2003 Kristie Eggleston. All rights reserved.