History & Information  |   Photographs  |  Map and Access Details  |   Links


HISTORY & INFORMATION

The Point Lonsdale Signal Station, commonly called the Point Lonsdale Lighthouse, was built in 1902. It commands a spectacular view of 'the Rip,' the entrance to Port Phillip Bay in Victoria, Australia. This stretch of water is regarded as one of the ten most treacherous navigable passages in the world.

Point Lonsdale received a signal station in 1852 to help ships negotiate its dangerous waters.  Four years later, a red pillar beacon was built to warn of Lonsdale Rock. A wooden lighthouse from Shortlands Bluff was then dismantled and re-erected at Point Lonsdale in 1863.

The tower is 21.3 metres tall and stands 36.6 metres above sea level. The lens is made up of approximately 70 pieces of glass that were ground by hand in England in 1901.  A complete set of spares was made at the same time and has never been used.

In 1950 an octagonal structure was constructed at the base of the tower which provides an observation room and shipping control room. 

The lighthouse is staffed 24 hours a day by staff who organise commercial shipping within designated areas inside and outside Port Phillip Heads. No master or Pilot can enter the Heads area without contacting and gaining permission from the Point Lonsdale Signal Station. This is possibly the last manned lighthouse in Australia. 

Location: 3817'S  14436' E
Nearest Town: Point Lonsdale
Operator: The Victorian Channels Authority
Built: 1902
Automated: 1999
Open to public: By tour - entry fee
Access: Road
Accommodation: No
Character: Horizontal beam flashes twice every 15 seconds
Light source: 250 watt, 120 volt globes
Power source: Mains power with battery backup
Structure: Round concrete tower painted white
Height: 21 metres
Elevation: 37 metres
Range: 22 kilometres white light
19 kilometres red light

Sources:
* Rod Cairns' Leading Lights
* Lighthouses of Australia Inc
* Lighthouses: Australia


PHOTOGRAPHS

Photographed by K. Eggleston, 28 November 1999 Kristie Eggleston

t-lonsdale5.gif (3442 bytes)

MAP & ACCESS DETAILS

Refer to regional map at Wilmap for greater detail.

Access

The Point Lonsdale Lighthouse is located in a public reserve accessible by road and a short walk, south of the Point Lonsdale township.

The Lighthouse is regularly open on Sundays - check with the Queenscliff Maritime Centre for information.

Celebrations for the 100th birthday of the Point Lonsdale Lighthouse were held on 23 March 2002.


LINKS

Black Lighthouse, Queenscliff

Grant & Tracey's Lighthouse pages

White Lighthouse, Queenscliff Rod Cairns' Leading Lights
Lighthouses of Australia Inc Great Ocean Road Highlights
Bellarine Historical Society

Page last updated:  29 December 2003

Copyright 1999-2003 Kristie Eggleston. All rights reserved.
Email: kristie_eggleston@hotmail.com















1