History & Information  |   Photographs  |  Map and Access Details  |   Links


HISTORY & INFORMATION

The Split Point lighthouse at Aireys Inlet was built in 1891. It was originally called the Eagles Nest Point Lighthouse, but the name was changed to Split Point in 1913. It is also known as the "White Queen" or "White Lady". The lighthouse overlooks Eagle Rock at Aireys Inlet, and is the first lighthouse to be sighted by ships that have rounded Cape Otway on their way to Melbourne.

The cement-rendered tower has a Chance Brothers first order lantern. The original light source was vaporised kerosene, but in 1919, the light was converted to automatic acetylene operation, and no longer staffed. The light was converted to mains electricity in 1972. 

Location: 3828'S 14406'E 
Nearest Town: Airey's Inlet
Operator: Australian Maritime Safety Authority
Built: 1891
Structure: Round cement rendered concrete tower painted white
Open to public: Grounds only
Access: Road
Accommodation: Yes
Character: Group flash 4 every 20 seconds
Lens: Chance Bros first order, 920mm focal radius lens
Light source: 120v 1000w tungsten halogen lamp
Power source: Mains power with diesel standby
Intensity: White 116,000 CD
Red 23,000 CD
Height: 34 metres
Elevation: 66 metres
Range: 37 kilometres white light
30 kilometres red light

Sources:
* Lighthouses of Australia Inc
*  Ibbotson, J. (2001) Lighthouses of Australia: Images from the End of an Era, Australian Lighthouse Traders
* Lighthouses: Australia


PHOTOGRAPHS

Photographed by K. Eggleston, 3-7 November 2001 Kristie Eggleston

Late afternoon in full sun, 3/11/01

Lighthouse Keepers buildings

Lighthouse Keepers buildings

Lighthouse Keepers buildings

Early evening & dusk, 3/11/01 Late afternoon with storm clouds brewing, 4/11/01

The lighthouse as viewed from Fairhaven Beach

The lantern at dusk

Overcast morning, 5/11/01 Overcast mid-morning, 7/11/01

The lighthouse from the beach near Painkalac Creek

The lighthouse overlooking the rocky point, near Eagle Rock

Me standing in front of the entrance building

Photographed by K. Eggleston, 13 July 1999 Kristie Eggleston


MAP & ACCESS DETAILS

Access

The Split Point Lighthouse is located in a public reserve close to the Aireys Inlet township, and is accessible by road.  The lighthouse itself is not open to the public, except for one advertised day a year, however, there are plans to make it open to the public on a more regular basis. One of the lighthouse buildings has been converted to a kiosk and souvenir shop.

Accommodation is available in the lightkeepers cottages. Contact Glen Farm Cottage Holidays for details.


LINKS

Lighthouses of Australia Inc 

Aireys Inlet Tourism

Grant & Tracey's Lighthouse pages Tourvic.com.au
Garry Searle's Lighthouses: Australia Great Ocean Road Highlights
Glen Farm Cottage Holidays - Lightkeepers cottages rentals Pete Amass' Lantern Room

Page last updated:  28 December 2003

Copyright 1999-2003 Kristie Eggleston. All rights reserved.
Email: kristie_eggleston@hotmail.com















1