History & Information  |   Photographs  |  Map and Access Details  |   Links


HISTORY & INFORMATION

The Upper and Lower Lady Bay Lighthouses are located within the Flagstaff Hill Maritime Museum at Warrnambool, and overlook Lady Bay. The lighthouses were built in the 1870's, using materials from previous navigational structures built in the 1850's. 

In the 1850's, two lighthouses were built, one on Middle Island, and the other on the beach at Lady Bay. Two obelisks were also built on Flagstaff Hill.  Due to the navigational inadequacies of the two lighthouses, they were dismantled and partially rebuilt in the 1870's to form the current Upper and Lower Lighthouses.  The Upper and Lower Lady Bay Lighthouses are still in use, and when aligned, guide ships into Lady Bay.


Warrnambool map showing the location of the four lighthouses.

Map 2002 Kristie Eggleston & Warrnambool Visitors Guide 1999/2000


LOWER LIGHTHOUSE

The square tower of the Lower Lighthouse was originally built in 1854 as one of two obelisks on Flagstaff Hill.  The light now located on the tower was originally used in its predecessor, The Beach Lighthouse, built in 1859 on the beach at Lady Bay.  The Beach Lighthouse was the leading lighthouse, but was ineffective due to lack of elevation, and in heavy seas, it was obscured by waves and sea spray.

During 1871-72, the light was relocated to the top of the obelisk. The light was originally powered by oil, then gas and finally electricity.

LADY BAY LOWER LIGHTHOUSE

Location: 3824'S 14929'E
Nearest Town: Warrnambool
Operator: Port of Portland Authority
Built: 1871
Open to public: Grounds only
Access: Road & via Flagstaff Maritime Museum - entry fee
Accommodation: No
Character: Fixed light with red and green sectors
Power source: Mains power
Structure: Square stone tower painted white
Height: 8 metres
Elevation: 33 metres
Range: 9 kilometres white light
9 kilometres red light
9 kilometres green light

UPPER LIGHTHOUSE

The Middle Island Lighthouse and accompanying buildings were constructed in 1859. During 1871-72, the lighthouse was relocated stone-by-stone from Middle Island to its current location on top of Flagstaff Hill, replacing a previous obelisk, and became the Upper Lighthouse. 

The light was originally powered by oil, then gas and later electricity. In 1988, the light was converted to solar.  In 1993, the solar panel was removed and replaced by a 240 volt battery charger.

LADY BAY UPPER LIGHTHOUSE

Location: 3824'S 14929E
Nearest Town: Warrnambool
Operator: Port of Portland Authority
Built: 1871
Open to public: By tour only
Access: Road & via Flagstaff Maritime Museum - entry fee
Accommodation: No
Character: Flashing white, 1 second every 5 seconds
Power source: Solar powered, then 240V battery charger
Structure: Round stone tower painted white
Height: 7 metres
Elevation: 27 metres
Range: 11 kilometres

Sources:
* Lighthouses of Australia Inc
* Warrnambool Visitors Guide, booklet, 1999/2000
* Flagstaff Hill Maritime Museum Complex, booklet, date unknown
* Ibbotson, J. (2001), "Lighthouses of Australia: Images from the End of an Era", Australian Lighthouse Traders


PHOTOGRAPHS

Photographed by K. Eggleston, 30 December 1999 & 22 April 2000 Kristie Eggleston

UPPER LADY BAY LIGHTHOUSE


LOWER LADY BAY LIGHTHOUSE


MAP & ACCESS DETAILS

Refer to regional map at Wilmap for greater detail.  [Map 2]

Flagstaff Maritime Museum Complex
Merri Street
(PO Box 574)
Warrnambool VIC 3280
Ph: (03) 5564 7841
Fax: (03) 5562 6479
Website: http://www.flagstaffhill.info

Access

The Flagstaff Maritime Museum is located within the township of Warrnambool, which is about 260km from Melbourne via the Princes Highway.

Both the upper and lower lighthouses at Lady Bay are located within the lighthouse reserve, which forms part of the Flagstaff Hill Maritime Museum. An entry fee is charged.

Contact the Museum for more information.


LINKS

Upper Lighthouse Lower Lighthouse
Lighthouses of Australia Inc Lighthouses of Australia Inc

Garry Searle's Lighthouses Australia Garry Searle's Lighthouses Australia
   
Grant & Tracey's Lighthouse pages ABC Radio South West
Flagstaff Hill Maritime Museum

Page last updated:  29 December 2003

Copyright 1999-2003 Kristie Eggleston. All rights reserved.
Email: kristie_eggleston@hotmail.com















1