History & Information |
Photographs | Map and Access Details |
The Whalers Bluff Lighthouse was originally
erected in 1859 with keeper's quarters on Battery Point at Portland, and was know as the
Portland Bay Lighthouse.
lighthouse was relocated, stone by stone, to its current position on North Bluff (now
Whaler's Bluff) in 1889 to make way for gun emplacements on Battery Point, and to protect
it during the Russian naval scare of the 1880's.
The Whaler's Bluff Lighthouse now guides
vessels past the treacherous Whaler's Reef into the Portland Harbour. The lantern is
catadioptric, and was made in England.
S 141°36' E
||Port of Melbourne
bluestone tower painted white
flashing white and red every 30
* Lighthouses of Australia Inc
* Reid, G. (1988) "From Dusk to Dawn: A History of Australian Lighthouses",
* Ibbotson, J. (2001) "Lighthouses of Australia: Images from the End of
an Era", Australian Lighthouse Traders
Photographed by K. Eggleston, 24 April 2000 © Kristie
& ACCESS DETAILS
The Whalers Bluff lighthouse reserve is only 5 minutes
north from the centre of Portland, and is accessible to the
The reserve is located at the end of Lighthouse Street, in a
Page last updated: 29 December 2003
Copyright © 1999-2003 Kristie Eggleston.
All rights reserved.