G-Tech Pro Performance Meter Updated 04-10-31
The G-Tech Pro Performance Meter is basically a precision accelerometer that can calculate 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, lateral and braking Gs, and horsepower. It looks a lot like a radar detector, and mounts in a similar position above the dash on the windshield. (This is not a good thing in a province where radar detectors are illegal.) The unit comes with a mounting bracket that sticks to the windshield via a suction cup. The G-Tech velcro's (or snaps, on some models) onto the mounting bracket. The bracket tilts up and down so that the G-Tech can be made as level as possible. Because the unit measures G forces, if it is not level it will "feel" the gravitational pull of the earth, skewing the results.
Typical Dynojet horsepower figures for the B16A2 Civic Si/SiR range from 135 to 145 horsepower at the front wheels. The G-Tech unit asks for the weight of the vehicle in order to be able to calculate horsepower. The Civic's curb weight is listed at 2600lbs, so tested weight would be that figure plus whatever occupants and accessories are on board. With the driver and one passenger on board I typically set it at 3000lbs.
In completely stock form, with only a K&N drop-in panel air filter in the stock airbox, the G-Tech reported a 137hp average. While I do not consider this and absolutely precise figure (what horsepower measureing device is?), it is in the ballpark for this vehicle.
Once I added an AEM V2 cold air intake, the only G-Tech testing I was abel to do was in the wet with snow tires on, and got 140hp. The car spun the wheels through second gear during these runs, so I believe this number to be a bit lower than it would be in the dry.
This summer I added a USDM Type R header with enlarged (AKA Mooseified) collector, Carsound cat, and MBRP stainless steel cat-back exhaust. G-Tech testing resulted in 153hp.
However, the MBRP straight-through muffler was far too loud, so I had RT Motorsports cut the muffler off and weld on a more quiet (but still straight-through) muffler. The G-Tech result was 151hp.
My plan is to find a deserted stretch of flat road and do some testing using various weight inputs to figure out how much of a variance in weight translates into how much of a variance in horsepower results. This will give an indication of whether or not a few pounds variance in weight input has a small or large effect on the horsepower result.
I also plan on getting my car dynoed on a local Dynojet facility (something I have planned on doing for a couple of years but never got around to it), to see how close the readings are. I am fully aware that dyno figures can be quite variable, but having a baseline to compare to will be helpful in determining just how accurate this thing is. My expectation is that the G-Tech is within 4 to 6 horsepower of an "at the wheels" dyno.