St. MATTHEW’S CHURCH ABERNANT
The Aberdare town congregation founded St. Matthew’s church in 1888 as a village "mission" church.
Meeting first in a tent in Abernant village, the congregation so formed subsequently erected a corrugated iron building, which is thought to have been purchased by mail order, and assembled on site.
Over 100 years later, what was expected to be a temporary building has outlasted two other brick and stone churches in the parish at about the same time.
Although looking utilitarian from the outside, the varnished wood lining to the metal shell together with some fine stained glass work and rich red carpeting give an unexpected welcoming softness to the visitor.
Regular worship continues in the church to the present time and there is currently a flourishing Sunday school.