Domestic Violence Help

Domestic Violence Victim Rights

If you are the victim of family violence, you may ask the officer who responds to your call to transport you and your children to a safe place. You have the right to sign a warrant against your partner if he or she has physically assaulted you. You have the right to ask the court that deals with domestic matters for an order of protection to (1) restrain the abuser from abusing or threatening to abuse you, (2) grant you or the other parent temporary custody of the minor children or visitation with the children and (3) award temporary support to you and the children.

You also have the right to contact the family crisis center of your county, Northwest Safeline, at 1-800-957-0055 from anywhere in West Tennessee. the local Cyersburg number is 287-7233. They accept collect calls.

Northwest Safeline's crisis line operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week. If you place a call to the crisis line for assistance, a counselor will make arrangements to pick you and your children up and talk to you about the help the program offers to victims of family violence.

Northwest Safeline will keep your name and your situation confidential. The agency does not discriminate. All services ar offered to victims of family violence regardless of age, sex, race, color, religion, handicap, national origin or sexual preference.

Northwest Safeline can help you and we do understand what you are going through - all you have to do is call us: 1-800-957-0055 from anywhere in West Tennessee. Local Dyersburg number is 287-7233.

Chief Joe Garner
Union City Police Department

Send mail to with comments about the design of this web site,
or if you should find a non-functioning link.
Copyright 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 Union City Police Department

Yahoo! GeoCities Member Banner Exchange Info

Get your own Free Home Page
1 1 1