***Chapter Outline***

The story takes place in Juuban over the same time frame as the first chapter.  This will deal with the cast of SM, especially Hotaru or Sailor Saturn.  This chapter will do a lot of flashback to the time of the Silver Millennium where the Royal Knights of the Moon Kingdom exist.  The story will concentrate on the First Knight.  He will act as Hotaru older brother and the trainer for all the Senshi.

 

http://www.oocities.org/collegepark/bookstore/7706/

 

FIRST KNIGHT

Chapter 2

 

 

"Hotaru-chan.  Hotaru-chan, where are you?" Called a voice from inside the building.

 

Without turning to the source of the caller, Hotaru responded, "I'm here, mamma-san."

 

A lone female figure with long dark hair approached the still small form sitting on the bench of the park near their apartment.  The night was calm and serene.  The sky was clear and the star burned brightly against the dark unknown.  The park was vacant except for the two females sitting on the bench staring wordlessly upward.

 

"Are you ok, Hotaru-chan?" asked the woman, concern in her voice.

 

"Yes, mamma-san," replied the smaller child.

 

Silent descended over the night

 

Breaking the awkward moment, "You know that I'll always be here to listen if you need someone to talk."

 

Taking the deep breath, Hotaru turned to the older person and smiled reassuringly, "I will.  I can't talk about it right now, but when I'm ready, I'll talk about it."

 

Though a little reluctant, Micheru agreed with the little one.  "Just make sure that you talk to someone if not me, ok?" she added.  After she gave Hotaru a hug, the two began their walk back to the apartment.  Looking at the long straight hair child she and Haruka had been given the responsibility of caring, she felt as if she was missing something.  Don't miss understand her, she loves the child as if her own, but there's a small part of her that wished Hotaru would confide in her more.  The thought brought a slight pain, but was quickly stamped away.  <In time, we shall be a real family.>

 

Not far from park, another figure emerged from the shadow.  Though the darkness hid the person well, there's a gleam in the darkness that's very distinctive.  The low streetlights reflected off the dull white in the lower region of the face and centered below the nose.  The dull white area was about three centimeters in height that spread evenly across an invisible centerline.  The whiteness decreased as it moves away from that invisible line until it disappeared completely. Even with the current low lighting of the night, one had no need to second guess.  It's definitely a smile.  A smile that say 'I know you', but also 'I'll be watching you very closely.'  Before any other thoughts could emerge, the mysterious figure vanished into the night.

 

As the night dragged on, little Hatoru stared at the ceiling.  Though the ceiling had no significant features, images flashed before her eyes.  Images of a place she could barely remembered.  Images of people she no longer remembered their names.  Images of a time where life was simpler and she was much happier.

 

Even if she her memory of such time was not perfect, she remembered one person that always brought joy to her heart.  Well, at least it did at a time long ago.  Now, the images brought pain and sadness.

 

< Oh, I wish you were here with me oniichan. > Closing here eyes, she carefully traced the image and felt tears escaping before falling to sleep.

 

[The past: Sliver Milenium.]

 

The scene changed to a magnificent view of a great crystal castle.  The castle itself seemed to radiate a life of its own.  It was surrounded by a beautiful landscape, a place full of life.  Like a bird, the view flew through the land diving and climbing with the land.  Once it’s completed its circle, it glided down and aimed for the young man in silver armor with dark hair tied in a ponytail.   Just as it was about hit its target the young man turned around and smile.  Immediately, the view stopped and a bird like sound was heard.

 

“Welcome back, Chiriko,” the young man said.

 

“Ark,” replied the bird.

 

The view zoomed away to display a brilliant golden bird hovering around the young man.  It’s about the size of a very large eagle.  As it flapped it wings, a golden hue surrounded the bird.  A closer inspection showed that the bird had blue eyes, almost human-like eyes.

 

“Come, Chiriko.  It’s time to see the Queen.”

 

“Ark, Ark.” Understanding, Chiriko hovered and then landed on the shoulder of the young man.

 

As the two companions approached the gate of the castle, the guards immediately bowed and stepped aside.

 

The young man merely nodded as he and Chiriko made their way into the castle to the main hall.  Moments later, the two reached a large double doors with a phoenix embodied upon it.  The giant door suddenly opened and the light from the room temporarily blinded the view.  As it cleared, the hall had a majestic feel of peace and love unlike anywhere else in the galaxy.  There were over a hundred people gathered in the great hall from all over the galaxy.  Many of them were Kings, Queens, or ambassadors from various planets.  As we walked through the doors, the people turned and made a path before them.  At the end of the path, a group of three Senshis bowed and stepped aside to review the Queen Serenity.  The young man immediately dropped to his knee and lowered his head.

 

The Queen smiled and said, “Welcome home, First Knight.”

 

The young man lifted head and smiled warmly.  “Thank you, My Queen.  It’s good to be home.”  With that said, he rose and approached the Queen.

 

The Queen moved from her seat and held out her arms and beckoned the young man.  A small giggle escaped the lips at the audience.  Hesitantly, the young man walked up and held her.  Once within her arms, she released a sighed and whispered, “I miss you so much, Kasheji.”

 

Returning the hung, Kasheji whispered, “I miss you too, Mom.”

 

Before Serenity could comment on how much her son worried her when he suddenly disappeared for several months, a voice shouted, “Kas-niichan.”

 

Smiling, Kasheji turned and saw a little girl of about 10 ran up the path in white dress.  Just as she was about a few feet from him, she accidentally stepped on her gown and started falling.  Even before anyone had the chance to gasp, he had already caught the young girl.

 

“Ne?  When did you get so clumsy?” teased Kasheji.

 

“Wahh…. I’m so clumsy.  I’ll never be a Princess,” cried the young girl.

 

Kasheji suddenly felt flustered at the girl sudden outburst.  Before he had the chance to respond, another voice shouted, “You’re such a cry baby, Serena.”

 

Sniffled, “I am not!”

 

“Yeah and you’re also clumsy too,” the other girl in red dress shouted.

 

Kasheji finally regained his control and heard pleasant chuckles from the audience.  He had never been any good at dealing with people, on a diplomatic level that is.  Kasheji quickly gathered Serena in his arms, “Serena?”

 

Serena quickly forgot her tongue fight with the other girl.  She looked at Kasheji and smiled her brightest smiles.  Unfortunately, she just as quickly turned it into a frown when she heard, “How’s my favorite meatball head?” and immediately retorted, “I am not a meatball head.”

 

Kasheji simply smiled and chuckled at his sister.  “Ahh, don’t get upset.  I’m just teasing you, imouto-chan.”  Kasheji then placed a kiss on Serena’s nose before she had the chance to retort.

 

Serena was at a lost again.  She knew her brother would teases her and then kisses her nose, but no matter how many times he had did it, she was never able to stay angry at him long enough.  So, she did the one thing she always did, she gave him a big hug and said, “I love you, oniichan.”

 

Kasheji returned the hug and whispered, “I love you too, imouto-chan.”  Once Serena released him, he lowered her to the ground.  As he did, he quickly noted that the other Princesses had gathered around him.  Some were blushing while the others looked embarrassed.  He gave them a warm smile, opened his arms, and suddenly found himself tumbled over from the force of five girls hugging him.  He heard laughter echoed through the room at the display, which only caused him to blush even more.  Quickly, he lifted himself off the ground and composed himself.  Unfortunately, three of the girls refused to let him go just yet.  As a result, he had Serena on his right arm, Princess Venus in his left, and Princess Jupiter on his back.  Kasheji laughed nervously as he scanned the room.  He even noticed his mom trying to hide her own amusement of the situation.

 

Queen Serenity watched in earnest as Kasheji tried to compose himself from the over affection of the girls.  She knew how shy he was and in a room with this many people, she couldn’t help but giggled at the display.  It amazed her how he could be so shy when he was constantly surrounded by female, many of his own age.  Since she first found him on an abandoned planet, she raised and loved him as much as her own daughter.  She knew Serena loved her brother just as much.  It also seemed that the other Princesses felt the same way.  Not only that, the older Senshis also felt… attached to him.  It’s hard to believe that it’d been 12 years.  A presence of great power stopped her from reminiscing the past.  Serenity quickly scanned the room and heard commotion in the crowd as they created the path for another visitor.

 

Kasheji suddenly felt tense as the crowd fell silent and rumors spread through the audience.  Suddenly, a figure appeared before him as the crowd separated.  Not entirely certain on the reaction, he gave a weak smile at the visitor.  He lowered and asked quietly, “Serena, why don’t you join your friends?” Kasheji smiled at Serena to reassure her that everything was going to be ok.  The other two girls followed Serena.  He stood and walked to Queen Serenity right side.  One of the Senshi stood next to him, while the other two stood on the other side of Queen Serenity.

 

“Welcome, Princess of Saturn,” said Serenity sweetly.

 

“Thank you, My Queen.” Saturn kneeled.

 

“Please stand Princess of Saturn.”

 

“Thank you for you kindness, My Queen.”

 

Smiling, “You’re quite welcome.  What can I help you with, Princess?’

 

Saturn merely nodded, “As you know, the mantle of Saturn have been pass on to me.  As the new Sailor Senshi of Saturn, I possess all the powers that come with the title.  This includes the Silence Glaive.”

 

Several uproars erupted from the audience, but were quickly silence as Queen Serenity held up her hand.  “Please continue.”

 

“Thank you.  As I stated, I have with me the Silence Glaive.  Many have expressed their opinion that such weapon is too dangerous to be anywhere near a civilized world.  Therefore, I request to travel to the outer rim of the galaxy to begin my training.”

 

Kasheji felt his anger rise as he noted several people nod in agreement.  He was about to voice his opinion when an arm held him back.  He turned and questioned Queen Serenity, but she just smiled.  Defeated, he held his position.

 

“Are you sure about this?” Serenity asked with concern.

 

“Yes, My Queen.  I-I feels it’s best course of action.  I’m still new and require more training.  To minimize possible damages, I’ve selected an abandoned planet.”

 

“Though you have a valid point, I do not believe that such action is necessary.”

 

“I believe I must do this, My Queen.”

 

“Are you certain?”

 

The Princess glanced at Kasheji, but quickly adverted his eyes, “Yes, My Queen.”

 

“It seems you’re quite set in your decision. Very well.”

 

“I am and thank you.”  Saturn kneeled and rose again.  Just as she was about to leave, the Queen spoke.

 

“Hotaru, you are always welcome here.”

 

Turning her head, she gave a small smile and said, “Thank you, My Queen.”  Again, the crowd made a path for the Princess as she departed.

 

Once she was out of the room, Kasheji turned to his mom, but she held her hand up and spoke first, “Not now, Kasheji.”

 

Sighing, he stepped back and held his position.

 

Much later that night when all the guests had returned to their respective home, Kasheji made his way to the Mom chamber.  Once there, before he knocked the door opened as if she had expected.  Before him, his mom and sister sat on the bed.  Serenity was brushing Serena long hair.

 

“Come in, Son.”

 

“Hi, oniichan,” Serena said excitedly.  “Mommy’s going to fix my hair to make it all pretty.”

 

“I’m sure it will be.”

 

Serenity raised her hand and motioned him to sit first.

 

Kasheji entered and found a seat across from his mother.

 

“Before you ask any question, let me explain.”  Seeing that he was prepared to listen, she continued, “As you saw this evening, the people were scared of Sailor Saturn and what she represents.”

 

Kasheji interrupted, “That shouldn’t matter, Mom.  That’s Hotaru-chan.  I’ve known her since I was little.”

 

“Mommy, Mommy.  Why would people scare of Hotaru-chan?”

 

“Listen, Serena and remember what I have to say.”  Turning to Kasheji, “Please calm down, Son.  Thank you.  Yes, you are correct.  It should not have mattered who carries the mantle of Sailor Saturn, but to the people, it does.  They can only remember what Sailor represent because of the past.  She is the Bringer of Silence.  Sometime we must choose the options that’s best for everyone.”

 

Kasheji lowered his head, not entirely sure what to say.  “I know, mom.  It’s just that I felt so helpless out there last night.”

 

“I know, son.  I wanted to comfort her too, but the fact still remains, the people were frightened.  Until they overcome their fear, we can only hope for the best.”  Serenity reached out and pulled him onto her lap.  “Son, I know you love her as much as you love your sister and I thank you for that.  In a way, she’s very much like you.  Both of you are shy and prideful as well as stubborn.”

 

“Yeah, I guess you’re…. Hey!”

 

Serena started laughing uncontrollably.  “Oniichan’s so funny.”  She happily jumped around the room giggling.

 

Kasheji ‘humpfh’ and crossed his arms.

 

“Heheh, my Son, my manly Son.  I know you want to take away the pain, but sometime she needs that pain to make her stronger.  When she’s ready, she’ll call to you.”

 

“I guess you’re right.  Thanks mom.”  He gave her a hug, which she gladly returned.

 

“You’re very welcome.  Now can you do me a favor?” she asked sweetly.

 

“Er… Sure, Mom.”

 

“Can you get off, you’re not that light anymore you know?”

 

“Huh?”  He asked intelligently before noticing that he was sitting on his mom lap without realizing it and quickly moved over to the chair.  “Sorry, Mom,” he added sheepishly.

 

Serena ran over to Kasheji and sat on his lap.  “Oniichan, will you tell me a story tonight?  Please, pretty please?” she begged.

 

“Hmmm….  I don’t know.  I’m kinda tired tonight.”

 

“Please, -niichan.  Just one story,” she pleaded and batted her eyes.

 

Kasheji relented and nodded.  “Ok, but only one story.”  He received a hug and kiss as a thank you.

 

“Yipeee.”

 

Serenity chuckled at her flustered son.  He had grown up so much.  It felt like only like yesterday when she found him lost and half-starved to death.  Now, he’s the First Knight of the Moon Kingdom.  He’s skilled in all forms of combat and a great tactician.  She remembered his first battle over five years ago.  He was so young, so enthusiastic about everything, that some of the older commanders ignored him because of his age.  They certainly were surprised when he challenged them and won.  After several more incidents, the General finally relented and allowed him to join all the meetings as well as play active roll in the defense force. 

Just over two year ago, during a mission, he disappeared.  After a month, she frantically wanted to go search for her son.  The Senshis and others convinced her to wait for his return and allowed them search for him.  After what felt like an eternity, they stumbled across a distress message on an isolated planet outside the galaxy.  The message was simply ‘wild horse’.  No one thought anything of it.  It just happened that she was checking on the progress of the search that she found the note tossed aside.  When she read that message, she nearly collapsed.  She had prayed for his safe returned and now she knew she would find him.  She immediately sent several battle cruisers to the designated planet.  What she found on that planet shocked her.  On that planet, her son was raging a war against some dark force.  With the arrival of the cruisers, the dark force quickly retreated.  Once she saw her son, she just held him a cried.  Unfortunately, Kasheji was so exhausted that he collapsed in her arms. 

Once he recovered, she gave him the title of First Knight.  The first and youngest in which such power ever bestowed on anyone with the exception of the Queen.  His duty was to protect the Moon Kingdom and the Senshi.  Unlike the Senshi who could only tap into powers from their corresponding planet, Kasheji drew powers from almost any source, including her.  This was because she created a special link between her and Kasheji.

 

Kasheji sat and watched as his mother gazed at him.  Though it made me a little nervous, he also saw the love and pride in her eyes.  He wasn’t sure if it made him more nervous or proud.  He lost his parents when he was only five when their ship lost control and crashed on some planet.  He remembered crying over his parents and how much he wanted to be with them.  But for some unknown reason, he knew someone would rescue him.  Over two week of surviving on what’s left of the food supply, he began to have doubts.  A few days later, the food supply ran out.  Day by day, he became weaker and eventually, he couldn’t do anything but lay back and stared at the stars.  Just before passing out, he heard a voice beckoning him to live on, to live for his parents, to carry on the line.  And so, he obeyed and struggled to survive.  When he finally woke sometime later, he found Queen Serenity watching over him.  At first, he was scared, but he eventually found her undying love, a love he gladly returned, and a new sister who he loved just as much.  Though he could not remember his parents clearly, he still loved them.  Since then, he vowed he would do anything to protect his family at any cost.  He sets out to learn everything, martial arts, magic, battle tactic, and strategy, anything that he could later use to protect his family.  Since then, he had never failed.

 

A bit unnerved by the silence, Kasheji got up and approached his mother.  He quickly wrapped his arms around her and whispered, “Thank you, Mom.  For everything you’ve given me.”

 

Serenity smiled brightly and held her son.  “I’m very proud of you.  I’m always proud of you and I’ll always love you.”

 

A few tears escaped, but he ignored it, “I love you, too.”

 

With that said, they released each other and Kasheji left the room with Serena in his arms.  She had fallen asleep in the silence.

 

*******

 

[A month later]

 

In another part of the galaxy, a teenage girl heaved her giant staff into the air.  Standing in the mist of a plateau that rose high above the rest of the land, a young girl with dark hair that reached her shoulder.  Lifting her staff high in the air, she chanted.

 

“I am Life.”

“I am Death.”

 

“I am the Healer.”

“I am the Destroyer.”

 

“I am the Beginning.”

“I am the End.”

 

“I am the Light.”

“I am the Darkness.”

 

“I am Chaos”

“I am Silent”

 

“For there can only be One.”

“I am Sailor Saturn.”

 

Upon completion, the ground rumbled, the wind howled her name, the sky shifted, and the water quaked.

 

The young girl arched back a little and spread her arms.  Every fiber in her body absorbed the sensations as the entire planet moved with her thoughts.

 

“My, aren’t we getting a little carried away here?”

 

Startled by the sudden appearance of another being on the planet, her instinct took control and she back flipped and kicked the intruder in one fluid motion.  Quickly spinning around to face the opponent, her eyes widen and then narrowed at the person.

 

“Very good, but you’ll have to do better than that, little one,” smirked the intruder.

 

“Don’t call me that!” the young Princess shouted back.

 

“My, someone is certainly in a bad mood,” the intruder said grinning.  “Maybe, I can help you forget your problems, little one.”

 

“Stop calling me that!”  Without any further comments, Saturn charged the intruder and threw a flying kick to the face.  Unfortunately, her leg passed through only air.  Using her momentum, she twisted in mid air before landing a few feet a way from the person.

 

“Very nicely done, little one.”

 

Without replying, she leaped for the person again and did a spinning kick to the head and then crouched down low for a sweep.  Again, both her attacks only met air.  Feeling the frustration build, she pushed her attacks further.  Thrusting her right arms forward in a palm strikes and knew she would only meet air, she spun on her right leg for a roundhouse kick with the other leg.  Using the angular momentum, she tried an elbow strike and extended it out for a knife hit to the neck.   Again, her combination failed her as she struck only air.  She attempted another series of combination, but all came up with the same result.  With each missed, she found herself more frustrated until an idea surfaced.  She stopped her attacks and stood straight.

 

“What’s the matter, little one?” he asked a little confused.  “You’re not tired already, are you?”

 

Saying nothing, she pulled out her staff and brought it level before her.  Closing her eyes, she began to chant quietly.

 

“W-Wait a minute there,” he stuttered.  “Y- You… You can’t do that.”

 

Again, Saturn did not respond.

 

“D-Don’t do that,” he pleaded.

 

Still no reply.

 

“Come on, hime-chan.  I won’t call you that again. Just put that staff down, please?”

 

Hotaru opened her eyes and grinned widely.  “Got ya, oniichan.”  She then burst out laughing.

 

“Huh?” replied the stunned brother.  As realization dawn, he grumbled, “Very funny, Hotaru-chan.”  Though he wanted to stay mad at his little sister, he could never hold a grudge against her for very long.  Soon, he was laughing along with her.

 

Sometime later, the two-siblings sat side by side on a log near the campfire he had just made.

 

“How are you feeling, Hotaru-chan?” asked her brother, concern evident.

 

“A lot better now, oniichan,” she replied in earnest.  Leaning on his shoulder, she sighed a bit.  “Oniichan?”

 

“Yes, Hotaru-chan?”

 

“Thank you.”

 

“You’re very welcome, little one,” he said with hint of giggles.

 

Hotaru quickly jabbed him in the rib with her elbow, “Oniichan!”

 

Lifting her up and placing her in his lap, he wrapped his arms around her.  “Ok, ok.  I’m just kidding,” he said while waving his arms wildly.  “Jeesh, you are so sensitive.”

 

“And you’re an insensitive jerk,” she said matter of fact.

 

“Hey!”

 

“But you’re the best insensitive brother I could ever have.”

 

“Uggh…thanks, Hotaru-chan.”  Not wanting to pursue the matter, he turned his attention back to reason for coming.  “So, Hotaru-chan, what’s bothering you?”

 

She sighed slightly and snuggled against his body more closely.  For some reason, she knew he would come and check on her even before he appeared.  Strange, he always appeared whenever she was in trouble or needed someone to talk to without ever knowing the cause.  He knew when she needed him and when she wanted to be alone.  He knew everything about her, her habits, quirks, likes and dislikes, and numerous other details.  She also knew he loved her and would always be there for her and protected her.  The thought warmed her body more than the campfire.  She loved him with all her heart, or as any sister could love her brother.  Ever since she could remember, he had been there for her and she could only hope to do the same.

 

“Is it because of the mantle of Sailor Saturn?”

 

“…”

 

“Hotaru-chan?”

 

Smiling, “I’m alright, oniichan.”

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“You know, Hotaru-chan.  The mantle doesn’t change who you are, only you can.”

 

Sighing, “I know, -niichan.  It’s just that I feel like I’m loosing all my friends.”

 

“T that’s not true!”

 

“Yes, it is!  Since I became Sailor Saturn, all the friends I knew at school stayed away from me.  They were scared of me.”

 

“Oh, Hotaru-chan.  I’m so sorry.”  He pulled her in tighter.

 

“I just felt so lost.  I just didn’t know what to do anymore.”  Hotaru sniffled a bit, but continued, “I was so scared that I would loose everyone because I was chosen to be Sailor Saturn.  I was so scare of loosing you that I thought about throwing everything away.”

 

Shocked, “HOTARU!  Don’t you dare!  You know you could never loose me.  I made a promise to you long ago I would always be there for you if you ever needed me.  And you know I always keep my promise.”  Turning Hotaru around so he could see her eyes, he spoke softly, “You do have friends.  Friends who loves you and cares about you.  Friends like Serena and the other Princesses.  You have a Queen who treasures you.  You have a brother who loves you very much.”  More sternly, “How could you ever think you’ll lose me or any of your real friends?”

 

Tears ran down her cheeks freely as she hugged her brother tighter.  After a few moments, she calmed down and said in between sobs, “I’m sorry, oniichan.  I guess I wasn’t thinking clearly.”

 

“That’s better, little one.”

 

Hotaru just laughed and gave him a kiss on his nose.

 

“Hey, I was supposed to do that,” he pouted.  He just smiled as Hotaru giggles merrily.

 

The two siblings leaned on the log and watch the sky together.  Much later, he finally asked, “Are you feeling better?”

 

“Uh-huh.  Just thinking.”

 

“Oh, about what?”

 

“Hmm, about us?”

 

“Us?”

 

“Yeah, like the time we first met.”

 

“Oh?  When was that?” Only moments later, “Ow.”  Rubbing the sore rib, “Heheh, how could I forget?”

 

Silent moment passed over the two as they remember their first meeting.

 

“Kinda hard to believe it’s been eight years.”

 

“Yeah, I remembered you being so small and fragile that I was so afraid of hurting you.  I was about ten, and you were about six or seven and Serena was about four.  Wherever I went, you always followed but hid when I came to see you.”  Turning you Hotaru, he raised an eyebrow, “You never told me why you always hid from me.”

 

A bit embarrassed at the memory, she quickly looked away.

 

“Hotaru-chan?  Are you hiding something from me?”

 

Still refusing to face him, Hotaru shook her head.

 

“Hotaru-chan?!”

 

Hotaru grimaced for bit and turned around.  “Oh, ok.  Back then, Ihadacrushedonyou.”

 

“What was that?”

 

“Ihadacrushedonyou.”

 

“You had a what?”

 

“crushedonyou”

 

“crushed on me?”  Suddenly, Kasheji blushed when he realized what he just repeated.  “Y-You really did?”

 

“Y-Yes.”

 

“And because of that you didn’t want to talk to me?”

 

Nodded, “Y-Yes”

 

“Um….Why did you talk to me later then?”

 

“Well… I-I was jealous of the attention the others were getting.”

 

“Really?”

 

“Yeah, especially Serena.”

 

“Huh?  Why Serena?”

 

“Oh, you can be so dense sometime, oniichan!”

 

Bop!

 

“Huh? What I say?” asked Kasheji, very confused.

 

“I was jealous of Serena because of the amount of time you spent with her.  You were always there for her, protecting her.  I never really had anyone that close and seeing you like that made me wished I had a brother like you.”  Hotaru sighed as she recalled a few instances where Kasheji protected Serena, she said, “That’s why I was always following you.”

 

“Oh.  When we went to the park, I saw you peeking from behind a cherry tree as I was pushing Serena on the swing.”

 

Embarrassed, she bowed her head, “Yeah.  And then you came over and asked if I wanted to go on the swing also.”

 

“Heheh, you kept trying to hide behind the tree until I grabbed your hand and dragged you to the swing.  After a while, you and Serena became very good friends.”

 

“We still are.”

 

“So, do you, umm…, have a crush on me?” he asked nervously.

 

“Heheh, what do you think?” teased Hotaru.

 

“Umm…  I don’t know.  Er… I mean… That is… What I’m trying to say was…” he babbled.

 

Hotaru took pitied and placed a finger on his lip.  “Kasheji, I do love.”  She lets him hesitated for a bit before continuing, “But I love you as your sister.”

 

He released an audible breath and his shoulders relaxed.

 

Kasheji decided that he need to change the subject quickly, “Um, Hotaru-chan.  Do you want to return to the Palace?”

 

“I-I don’t know.”

 

“Well, if you don’t want to, we could train for a few more days and then we’ll return to the palace.”

 

“That’s a great idea, Kasheji-niichan.”  Hotaru hopped off his lap and faced him sternly, “And this time you’ll fight back or I’ll use the Silent Glaive.”

 

Kasheji waved his hands and said quickly, “Ok, ok.”

 

“Thanks, oniichan.”  With that, she gave him another peck on the nose before she ran off giggling.

 

After three weeks of training, Kasheji and Hotaru began their journey back to the Palace.  As the two approached the Palace, the assembled guards stepped aside to review the Queen.

 

“Welcome back,” Queen Serenity greeted warmly.

 

“Thanks, mom.  It’s good to be home.”

 

“Thank you, My Queen.”

 

“Ark, Ark,” cried the golden bird.

 

“Chiriko!” Kasheji shouted excitedly.

 

The bird soared through the sky and circled her master before perching on his shoulder.

 

“How are you doing?  You’ve been good right?”

 

The bird quickly nodded and ‘ark’ several times.

 

“That’s good.  I hope Serena didn’t give you too much trouble.”

 

As on queue, Sererna ran out of the front gate and leaped into Kasheji’s arms startling the bird.  Chiriku flapped her wings several times before taking to the air again.

 

“Oniichan!  I missed you so much.”

 

Smiling, he gave her a kiss on the nose, “I miss you too.  Have you been taking good care of Chiriku?”

 

Serena nodded several times and then she recounted all she did since he left.  Of course, most of her story was about her fight with Mars Princess.  Kasheji just shook his head and carried Serena into the Palace.

 

Outside, Queen Serenity and Princess Saturn walked side by side.  Breaking the silence, the Queen asked, “How was your training trip?”

 

“Very well, My Queen,” Hotaru answered politely.

 

“That’s good.  I hope my Son didn’t trouble you too much.”

 

A slight blush reached her cheeks.  “Um… No, My Queen,” Saturn said nervously.

 

“That’s good.  Kasheji’s always carefree and prideful.”

 

“Stubborn as well,” Hotaru added.

 

“Insensitive,” added another as she joined the group.

 

“Macho jerk,” someone interjected.

 

“Heheh… Yes, he is.  Then again, he’s also very honorable and caring.”

 

“Protective,” one Senshi commented.

 

“Forgiving.”

 

“Nice.”

 

“Honest.”

 

“Self sacrifice.”

 

“All the reasons why he is First Knight,” concluded the Queen.

 

“And the responsible for the powers given to him,” added Sailor Pluto.

 

Everyone nodded.

 

The scene changed to show the group entered the Palace and the doors closed behind.

 

[Several years later]

 

Below the bright blue planet of Earth, the Moon Crystal Palace was in full celebration.  People from everywhere gathered for this one event, the joining of the Moon Princess and Terra Prince.  The party was in full swing and everyone was happy.  Most the Senshis were enjoying themselves as well, with the exception of Sailor Pluto who was absent.  Prince and Princess danced to their heart desired.

 

Later that night, Hotaru and the other Senshis were gathered around Serena asking her all sorts of questions about the young Prince from Terra.  Not the biographical information, but the behind the scene type.

 

Serena blushed profusely at the implication of some of the questions.  Quickly searching for another topic, she said wishfully, “I wish oniichan was here.  He’s been gone for so long.”

 

The other Senshis became quiet.  They also have been worry about First Knight sudden disappearance almost a year ago.  So far, there have been no clues to his whereabouts.  Though they knew was a great warrior, it did nothing to soothe their worries.

 

Breaking the uncomfortable silence, Hotaru said, “Don’t worry.  Kasheji-niican will be back before you know it.”  Though she tried to express the statement with confidence, a certain dread entered her voice.

 

Everything was going well until a sudden explosion caught everyone attention.  A dark cloud hovered above the Palace and a cruel laughter echoed through the night.

 

“Well, Queen Serenity.  I hope you don’t mind me joining your little party,” said the women coldly.

 

“Of course not, Beryl,” replied the Queen diplomatically.

 

“Always the calm loving Queen, ha Serenity.”

 

“This is a celebration, Beryl.  Please try not to ruin it for everyone.”

 

“Oh, I wouldn’t think of ruining your ‘beautiful’ party.”

 

Before Queen Serenity commented, Chiriko attacked Beryl.  Beryl fell back from the unexpected attacked and immediately retaliated.

 

At the appearance of Beryl, the Senshi immediately ran for the Queen.  When they saw Chiriko attacked Beryl, they all shouted in surprise, “Chiriko!”  Then they paused when they realized another important fact, ‘if Chiriko’s here, then’.  “KASHEJI!” they shouted in unison.  Just as they finished their shout, a man in battered armor covered in blood landed a few feet in front of Queen Serenity.  They all gasped at Kasheji rugged look and fierce expression.

 

Not wanting to waste anytime, Kasheji commanded, “Sailor Senshi!  Stop Beryl at all cost!”  When he didn’t notice any action, he shouted, “NOW!”  Turning to his mother, he quickly lifted her and made his way to the Palace.  Once inside, he lowered her and said quickly, “Mother, there’s no time to explain.  Beryl betrayed us.  She has an army of darkness preparing to attack the palace.”

 

“But…”

 

“Please listen, Mom.  We’re not going to survive.  They’re too powerful.  I know, I fought them.  I’m the only survivor left from the expedition.”

 

“K-Kasheji…” she whispered, voice broken.  “But, the Senshi and the others… I can’t let them die,” she said more sternly.

 

“Mother, I know.  I said Beryl was powerful, but not unstoppable.”

 

“W-What?  H-How?” she asked nervously.

 

“The Crystal.  It’s the only way.”

 

Serenity eyes widen, “No.  You can’t.”

 

“It’s the only way to save everyone.”

 

“But… You’ll…”

 

“I knew my responsibilities when I accepted the position.”  Kasheji quickly hugged his mother and felt the tears ran down his cheek.  Quickly wiping the tears away, he said, “I love you, Mom.  Always,” and disappeared down the dark hall.

 

Queen Serenity felt her heart weighed heavily as she watched her son disappeared.  Slowly, she left the Palace.  When she saw the destruction before her, her hearts saddened even more.  On the ground, the Senshis laid bleeding.  Not far away, she noted Endyminion holding Serena in his arms protectively.  In front of them, Sailor Saturn kneeled on the ground desperately holding together the shield with whatever strength she had left.  Tears ran down her face at the cruel fate of those around her.  She looked up to see Beryl laughing at the destruction.  Without hesitation, she closed her eyes and concentrated.

 

Hotaru was fighting for her life and for the life of her friends.  With all the powers she possessed, she couldn’t help her fallen friends.  Suddenly, the shield collapsed and she felt the strength drained from her completely.  Then, in a flash of golden light, she saw the Queen held the crystal before her and gasped in horror.  She knew what the crystal meant; everyone knew what the crystal meant.  The crystal was only to be used as a last resort.  She didn’t care for that.  A second flashed caused her to close her eyes.  When she opened again, Queen Serenity and Beryl were engaged in battle.  Just when Beryl energy beam was about to penetrate Queen Serenity’s shield, a surge of power erupted from the crystal.  Within that power surge, a voice echoed through her mind, “Farewell.  I love you all,” and then it ended.

 

Another flash of light engulfed the surface of the moon and everything disappeared.

 

******

[Present]

 

“OOOONNNNIIIIIIIIIICCCCHHHHAAAANNNN!” rang through the dark apartment.  Footsteps were heard rushing towards the source of the sound.

 

The green hair women quickly rushed over to the bed and held the sobbing Hotaru.  Humming softly, she tried to soothe the child.  Eventually, the sobbing stopped and she laid the child back on the bed.  Worried look crossed her face as she watched the sleeping child.  Not wanting to leave the child alone, she pulled a chair nearby and sat there watching.  Her companion did the same and sat next her holding her hand.

 

******

 

Some distant away in another bedroom a blonde hair girl jolted upright startling the feline that rested next to her screaming the same thing.

 

Within the house, footsteps could be heard.  The two parents were immediately by her side comforting her.  Another figure yawned and leaned against the door.

 

“Why did you called me, sis?” asked the boy, a little irritated.

 

“Usagi-chan, are you ok?”

 

“Heh?” Usagi asked intelligently.

 

“You woke up screaming for your brother.”

 

“Oh…. Heheheheh… it’s just a nightmare, that’s all,” Usagi said sheepishly.

 

“Well, try to get some sleep.  You do have school today.”

 

“Oh, sure.  Thanks, mom.”

 

Once the parents left the room, Usagi laid back and curled up tightly.  Slowly, she closed her eyes and cried herself to sleep.

 

Luna crawled back onto the bed and lie down quietly.  She knew whom Serena was referring to and felt a sudden of sadness washed over her.  With all the Senshis reborn, she too wished that First Knight could join them.  He sacrificed himself in order to give Queen Serenity the power she needed to defeat Beryl.  Silently, she wept.  There was nothing to be done.  She had hoped to spare Serena the pain of remembering about him.

 

Soon both occupants fell asleep dreaming about a brother from long ago.

 

The next morning, Serena was late to school with a sad expression.  By lunchtime, she and her friends had gathered by a table in the schoolyard.

 

“Hey Usagi, why the gloom face?” asked the cheerful Minako.

 

“Yeah, Usagi.  You’re acting like someone die,” said Rei.

 

“Whhhaaaaa” Usagi wailed.

 

Large sweat drop formed on their face.

 

“Hey, calm down.”

 

“Yeah, no body died.  I’m sorry.”

 

“But someone did die,” Usagi said tearfully.

 

“What?”  “Who?”

 

“Oonniicchhaan,” Usagi started wailing again.

 

“What?” shouted the girls.  “What do you mean Shingo’s dead?”

 

“Waahhhhh.  Shingo’s dead!”  Suddenly, Usagi stopped crying and looked at the scouts.  “Huh?  Wait, Shingo’s not dead.”

 

The scouts looked at each other, face faulted, and then shouted, “What?!”

 

An irritated dark hair girl grabbed Usagi by the collar and shook her a few times.  “What do you mean Shingo’s not dead?”

 

Confused, “Rei, are you ok?  Why would Shingo be dead?”

 

Still holding on to the collar, she asked very violently, “You just said your brother is dead!”

 

“He is!”  Realization dawning, Usagi laughed nervously, “I meant my brother from the Silver Millennium.”

 

The girls all fell on their face.

 

Ami quickly recovered, “Usagi, why don’t you tell us what all of this is about?’

 

“Um… Ok.  Last night, I had a dream about the Silver Millennium and I saw my brother again.  I couldn’t believe I forgot about him.  I can’t remember much of the dream, but I remember him dying so my mother could save us.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“I don’t know really.  My memory a bit jumbles right now, but before waking up I saw his face and he said that he loves me.  After that, he disappeared.”

 

“That doesn’t mean he dead.  Your mom could have sent him to the future like us,” Minako tried to reassure her friend.

 

“No, it’s not like that.”

 

“What do you mean?” inquired Ami.

 

“I-It’s like he knew.  He knew I would never see me again.  H-He knew he couldn’t be reborn.”

 

“You don’t…,” Rei began but immediately caught herself.  A sudden shiver ran down her spine.  She didn’t like the feeling one bit.

 

The others looked on with concern plastered on their face.  Ami broke the silence and gently shook Rei’s shoulder.  “Rei, are you ok?”

 

“Yeah, Rei.  You’re giving me the creep,” said Usagi, her problem temporarily forgotten.

 

Rei continued to remain in some kind of trance as the other tried to wake her.  Ami grabbed her computer and scanned Rei for any kind of reading.  The only thing she got was a spike in energy, but it quickly disappeared.  All other scan came up negative.  She wasn’t entirely comfortable with the situation.

 

As suddenly as Rei had snapped into the trance, she quickly recovered and continued her conversation as if nothing happened.  “… know that!”  Her angry expression was replaced by a confused and then nervous look.  All her friends were staring at her as if she grew a second head or something.

 

Quietly, “Rei, are you ok?” asked Lita.

 

“Of course I’m fine.  Why wouldn’t I be?” Rei asked.

 

“Well, it’s just that…I’m mean…it’s was like… You…” said Usagi.

 

“Rei, you were in some kind of trance a few minutes ago.  I tried to get some reading, but came up negative,” Ami interrupted.

 

“A-Are you sure?” Rei asked nervously.

 

The other Senshis just nodded.

 

Before Rei commented, Ami spoke, “Rei, maybe you should get some rest and we’ll stop by after school to talk about it.”

 

Rei merely nodded.

 

“That’s a good idea, Ami.  Maybe we should invite the outer Senshis as well.”

 

“I think that’s a good idea, Usagi,” Ami said approvingly.

 

“Yeah, and just maybe Setsuna can tell us more about this First Knight,” Lita added.

 

“I wonder if he’s cute,” Minako said dreamily.

 

The others stared at her for a moment and then face fault very hard on the ground.

 

After leaving the main office, Rei began her walk home.  She wasn’t comfortable about the knowledge that she went into a trance and not remembered it.  What could it mean, she asked herself.  At the bus stop, she sat on the bench and thought about the situation.  << Why did I go into a trance in the first place?  Why can’t I remember anything?  What does all of this mean?  Will it happen again? >> Unable to answer, she sighed and waited for the bus.  << Maybe I should try a fire reading? >> Rei shook her head.  << No, that wouldn’t work.  I need a target for the fire reading. >> So lost in her thought, she didn’t notice a man sitting down next to her.

 

“Um…excuse me.  Can you tell me where the Tendou Dojo is?”

 

The young man scratched his head, shrugged and left.  At the next person on the street, he asked the same question.  After the man pointed the direction, he bowed and went in the opposite direction.

 

In the meantime, Rei stared ahead of her until the bus stopped and opened to door.

 

“Hey! Are you going to come in or not?” shouted the driver.

 

Startled, Rei jumped to her feet and stared at the driver.

 

“Well?” the driver asked again, annoyed in her voice.

 

“Er… Yeah.  Sorry,” Rei said quickly and stepped into the bus.

 

At the shrine, Rei walked into her grandfather’s chamber.  “Hi, grandpa.”

 

“Ah, Rei-chan.  You’re certainly home early.”

 

“Yeah.  I….  There’s something I want to ask you,” Rei said, nervous.

 

“Of course,” Grandpa Hino said while he gestured Rei a seat.

 

“Well, during lunch, I…I went into a trance,” Rei said as she fidget with her dress.

 

“Oh, that’s not unusual.  You had those before,” he said, eyebrow raised.

 

“I know, but this one is different.”

 

“How is it different?”

 

“Well, um, I can’t remember it.”

 

“I see,” he said thoughtfully.

 

“D-Do you know why, Grandpa?” she asked, hope filled voice.

 

“Well, I can’t say for certain.”  He paused, “But I think someone’s trying to communicate with you.”

 

“R-Really?  Who?”

 

“Hmmmmm…”

 

“Grandpa, please tell me,” Rei pleaded.  Maybe it’s a spirit or something, she thought.

 

“Well, let see.”  His brows furrowed.

 

“Please tell me!”

 

He pinched bridge of his nose and snapped his finger.  “I know!”

 

“WHO?”  Rei was on her feet.

 

“Your…”

 

“What?”

 

“Boyfriend,” he shouted excitedly.

 

Rei blinked twice, face faulted, jumped to her feet, clenched her fist, turned, stomped out the door, slammed the door shut, and shouted, “BAKA! BAKA! BAKA!”

 

******

Later that day, the rest of the scouts and Namaru arrived, except for Setsuna.  Well, Usagi was a little late, but that was normal for her.

 

“So Rei, what’s this meeting about?” Haruka asked, leaning against one of the pillar.

 

“It has to do with a dream Usagi had,” Rei replied.

 

“D-Dream?” Hotaru stuttered.

 

“What’s wrong?” Usagi asked with concern.

 

“I-I…” Hotaru began, but trailed off.

 

“Hotaru, I think it’s time to talk about it,” Micheru added.

 

Everyone waited silently as Hotaru composed herself.

 

Looking at Usagi, she said quietly, “It’s about our brother.”

 

“W-What?!” Usagi stuttered as well as the rest of scouts and Namaru.

 

“Hotaru, why didn’t you tell us?” asked Micheru.

 

“I….I-I didn’t want to bring it up,” Hotaru said quietly.

 

Usagi dashed over to Hotaru while on her knees.  “Hotaru, Hotaru.  W-What about our brother?  Why wasn’t he reborn?  Why?” Usagi asked hysterically, almost near tears.

 

“Usagi, please calm down,” Namaru urged.

 

Hotaru lowered her head and spoke softly, “Oniichan can’t be reborn.”

 

“Why?” wailed Usagi.

 

“In the battle against Beryl, he lent all of his power to the Queen.  In order to do that, he gathered his powers and gave it all to Queen Serenity.”

 

“I still don’t understand why,” said the confused Usagi.

 

Hotaru refused to continue.  It hurt too much just thinking about it.

 

Luna decided that it was best of she continued the explanation.

 

“First Knight cannot be reborn because he trapped himself in the Crystal Chamber of Crystal Palace.”

 

“What’s that supposed to mean?” asked Rei, becoming impatient.

 

“The chamber acts as a focal point where energy can be concentrated.  Anyone within that chamber cannot be reached by magic.  First Knight used that chamber to channel his powers as he gathered them and gave it to Queen Serenity.  As a result, Queen Serenity was able to stop Beryl and sent all of you into the future.  First Knight was never reached because he was in the Crystal Chamber,” Luna explained, her voice cracked towards the end.

 

The room remained silent for sometime before Minako spoke.

 

“Luna, what was First Knight like?”

 

“His name is Kasheji,” Hotaru said warmly.

 

“That’s correct,” Luna confirmed.  “Queen Serenity found him on an abandoned planet during one of her travels and adopted him.  He’s very gifted in armed combat and tactics.  I remembered when the Queen told story of Kasheji defeating the Generals.  He was elected to become First Knight by the Queen and all members of the Royal Council.  Everyone trusted him and his judgement when it came to battle.  He’s very loyal to the Moon Kingdom and trusted by all.  Because of this, they allowed First Knight the large amount of powers.  Each Royal Family granted Kasheji a portion of their planet’s power.  As a result, First Knight had access to all the planets as well as the Moon Kingdom.”

 

At this, every gasped.  Each of them had incredible powers at their disposal, but for someone to have that much powers was unbelievable.

 

“At first, they thought about creating other Knights, but the Council dismissed the idea because they were afraid the user will abuse it.  That’s why there’s only one Knight.  He’s the only one to obtain complete trust from all the Royal Families and pretty much everyone loyal to the Moon Kingdom,” Luna said with pride.

 

“He’s not only a great warrior, but also great brother,” Hotaru added.  She looked at Usagi, “He loved all the Princesses.  He always protected us no matter the consequences.  If you were about to fall, he was there before you hit the ground.  When he was home from his mission, he would play with all of us.”

 

Hotaru looked towards the sky as she spoke, “He was also very shy, but he never let his embarrassment stopped him from being around us.  I think that’s why the Royal Families trusted him so much.  They knew he would never harm us.”  Hotaru took a deep breath and continued, “I remembered when I was little and got hurt when some bullies picked on me at school.  Oniichan had rushed home in the middle of battle to check on me.  He was so upset that I got hurt that he went to the school dressed in his armor and told the entire school that if anyone ever harm me, they would answer to him.”  Hotaru chuckled a bit, “The entire boy population was so scared that they never came anywhere near me.”

 

The others looked at Hotaru with awe and envy on their face.

 

“Of course he got scolded by his superior for leaving in the middle of battle like that.  When the General asked him if that would ever happen again, he smiled and said yes.”

 

“Did he have a girlfriend?” asked Minako, hearts in her eyes.

 

“I’m not sure, but I think all the scouts were interested in him.”

 

“R-Really?” Haruka asked nervously.

 

“Yeah, he was very popular with the female populations,” Artemis agreed, completely ignorant to the nervous glances Haruka had between Micheru and the cats.

 

They spent the rest of the day recalling memory of First Knight and his relationship with each of the scouts.  The cats told them of his adventures and skills.  Though everyone wished they had better memory of him, they still found a joy in talking about him.  Most of all, Hotaru and Usagi felt better as well.

 

Just as everyone prepared to leave their separate ways, Rei paused in her steps as she escorted the group to the front gate.

 

“’umph’.  Hey Rei, why did you stop all the sudden?” ask Usagi while rubbing the nose.

 

The antic caught the attentions of the other scouts and everyone looked at Rei with concern and curiosity.

 

“Rei?”

 

“Is this like the last time, Usagi?” Luna asked.

 

Usagi nodded her head and wave her hands wildly in front Rei.  She paused, hands on her hip, and then she snapped her fingers.  She approached the unmoving Rei and stuck out her tongue, pulled down her eye with one hand, brought the tip of her nose up with the other hand, and stood on one foot.

 

The rest of the scouts watched Usagi’s displayed, sweated, face faulted, and thought, “She’s our Princess.  Don’t kill her.  Not just yet.”

 

“HELP ME…… DANGER…….. RELEASE ME……..” Rei said in a deep voice that was not like her own.

 

Usagi startled screeched brought everyone back from their hypnotic state.

 

[The end]

 

*******

Author’s notes:

Finally finished with chapter 2.  For some reason or another, I could not finish this chapter.  I spent about 4 months trying to write the chapter, but always ended up writing about 3-4 lines and couldn’t go on. 

 

I spent a lot of time from Hotaru point of view.  I could have used Serena or any of the Senshi, but I wanted to create a bond between Kasheji and Hotaru.  Not the bond between lovers, mines you, but between two very close friends.  Hotaru is an orphan in the Silver Millennium.  Kasheji and Serena are siblings, but not by blood.  I might go back and add a few scenes with Serena and her point of view.  This probably takes place when Kasheji first arrived at the Palace.

 

Next chapter is in the work.  Outline completed and I’ve started writing.  Hopefully, I won’t have too much trouble with this chapter.