CUB SCOUT SPORTS: GYMNASTICS
Tiger Cubs, Cub Scouts, and Webelos Scouts may complete requirements in a family, den, pack, school, or community environment. Tiger Cubs must work with their parents or adult partners. Parents and partners do not earn loops or pins.
REQUIREMENTS FOR THE GYMNASTICS SPORTS BELT LOOP
Complete these three requirements:
- Explain the six events of men's gymnastics: floor exercise, pommel horse, still rings, vaulting/side horse, parallel bars, and horizontal bar.
- Participate in three of the six events using the proper equipment.
- Explain the safety rules you should follow to learn gymnastics.
REQUIREMENTS FOR THE GYMNASTICS SPORTS PIN
Earn the Gymnastics belt loop, and complete five of the following requirements:
- Write a report on the history of gymnastics.
- Take gymnastics lessons.
- Attend a gymnastics meet
- Practice and demonstrate five floor exercise skills.
- Practice and demonstrate two skills used on the pommel horse.
- Demonstrate two skills on the still rings.
- Demonstrate two skills using parallel bars.
- Demonstrate two skills using the horizontal bar.
- Demonstrate a vault using the side horse.
- Develop a regular routine of physical and mental conditioning.
- Learn about three U.S. gymnasts who have won medals in the Olympics.
GENERAL SPORTS REQUIREMENTS
Following are the requirements for earning the Sports belts loops and pins.
- Belt loops and pins are earned only by Tiger Cubs, Cub Scouts, and Webelos Scouts (not adults).
- The archery and BB-gun shooting belt loops and pins must be earned under BSA range-trained supervision. The BB-gun shooting loop and pin must be earned at a BSA facility range.
- Requirements may be adjusted to accommodate the special needs of Tiger Cubs, Cub Scouts, and Webelos Scouts with disabilities.
- Webelos Scouts may earn a belt loop or pin a second time to qualify for Webelos activity badges.
- Boys may earn belt loops more than once; however, leaders should encourage boys to try different requirements and earn the pin. Packs should have a clear policy in place about whether the pack or the boy's family is responsible for the cost of awards earned more than once.
CUB-SAFE GYMNASTICS RESOURCES FOR KIDS
USA Gymnastics Online - learn about the sport and some of the athletes. Find out how the Olympic team is chosen.
All About Gymnastics - learn about the history of gymnastics, the different events, how to stretch, and much more!
Browns Gymnastics - check out the Olympic Training Center, home to over 1600 gymnasts!
Gym Fan Forum - creative forum for gymnastics fans. Includes artwork and poetry inspired by gymnastics, as well as pictures, cartoons, and a birthday list of gymnasts.
Gymn Forum - an electronic forum for gymnastics.
[ Back To Top ]