Before Sunset
Return to Index.

Before Sunset
AUTHOR: Senia

Chapter 34
Gregory was annoyed and it was obvious to anyone that took the time to glance in his direction. A workaholic, he generally had no problem with last minute meetings that ran late, but today was different. Today he looked to the clock and frowned as one person after another droned on about the different possibilities in how to represent their latest client. He wanted to shout at them to just pick one. The factory involved was guilty of all the charges against them anyway and they knew it. They were fortunate that no one had lost their life in the accident that had destroyed one building and cost millions in lost merchandise. It was a case of negligence in safety... But that was not his job... His job was to get them out of the mess with as little monetary and public relations damage as possible. It was a job he was good at but one that, for the moment, he couldn't care less about. He had plans and he was late...


Olivia sat on Bette's couch and watched her with the baby. Bette was infatuated with the child... It was a good thing because neither of its parents seemed remotely interested in it. Madeline seemed to hate the very idea of it and Del was bored. They had hired a decent nanny that cared for the physical needs of the little girl, but Bette seemed to be providing the only source of affection, "You're wonderful with her." Olivia smiled, trying to take her mind off the fact that she was supposed to have been picked up an hour ago. Gregory's office had called and informed her that he was in a meeting, but it didn't make waiting any less frustrating. She was starving...

"Isn't she the cutest thing you have ever seen?" Bette beamed, cradling the baby as she offered her a bottle. "Doesn't it make you want one of your own?"

Olivia smiled. Yes... A baby would be nice, Gregory's baby... She glanced at the clock and sighed, "Elaine hasn't been around much..." As soon as she said it she wished she hadn't. She immediately felt guilty and fiddled with the blanket on the back of the couch. Wrapped up in uneasiness she didn't see the look that passed over her friend's face or she might have guessed she was not alone in that guilt...


When the meeting finally ended Gregory rushed out. The jeweler would already be closed, he cursed to himself. On his way past he gave his secretary the number and ordered her to offer them anything it took for them to wait for him. He'd put too much time and planning into this evening to let some stupid meeting or a merchants' dinner spoil it!

When he arrived the store was already locked but he went to the door anyway. Pounding on it finally brought a disgruntled clerk from the back that whined about being late for a night class because he'd had to wait on him. Gregory wanted to box his ears and assure him that whatever he was studying it was not half as important as what he was late for. He paid for the ring and tipped the kid $20 to shut him up. It didn't work but he didn't much care as he took the ring and hurried to his car. Just don't let dinner be ruined...


Olivia was annoyed when she answered the phone and found it was Gregory's office calling again. The annoyance slipped away when she was informed that he had just left and should be there shortly. She gave Bette a kiss on the cheek and another for the baby before darting upstairs to freshen up. Bette laughed as she hurried off and cooed at the baby, "You'd think it was their first date the way she reacts."
Gregory was relieved to find the cook he'd hired was flexible and resourceful. He'd altered the menu slightly when parts of it were obviously not going to work with the delay and he'd left the bread rising until he'd received word that his employer had been delayed. Olivia would never realize that anything at all had suffered and dinner would be as perfect as if he'd gotten out on time.

Gregory gave the man a hundred dollar bill in gratitude and excitement and instructed him to be out and lock up within 20 minutes. That's how long it would take him to get to Bette's, manage to extract himself and Olivia from her idle chatter, and bring the woman he intended to marry back for what he hoped would be a night she'd never forget...


Del arrived to pick up his daughter as Olivia was coming down the stairs, "Darlin', you look simply edible..." He drawled, admiring the woman he'd have been only too happy to have involved himself with if either of their financial situations had been different. She was much more... entertaining... than his wife would ever be, and he'd never gotten the opportunity to enjoy all she had to offer...

Olivia smiled appreciatively and graced him with a kiss on the cheek. Parts of her hated Del Douglas for what she knew of him, and what he knew of her, but he was her friend and no matter what their lives would always be tied together by that shared secret. "Stop or I'll have to turn Gregory away and do my best to steal you from your wife." She flirted. "You wouldn't want to make a homewrecker of me, would you?"

Del laughed, "No, we couldn't have that..." But in truth, he'd be only too happy to whisk her out the door and leave the life he'd built for himself behind; wife, child, and all. If only he could find a way to do that without losing his grip on Madeline's money. That money was the one thing he found more enticing even than Olivia Blake...


Gregory stuffed the ring into his pocket and ensured that his tie was straight before stepping out of the car in front of Bette's house. He'd never been so nervous. Honestly, he couldn't remember a time when he had ever really been nervous apart from when he'd taken the bar exam, and that had been nothing compared to this. Then he'd been self-assured and confident. Why wasn't he know? Surely she would say yes. She had to...

Del opened the door when the buzzer rang, "Speak of the devil. Fortunate you got here when you did, I was just about to run off with your lady." He patted his friend's arm good-naturedly.

Gregory ignored him and smiled at Olivia, "I'm sorry I'm late. The old windbags were having some sort of contest to see who could talk the longest..."

Olivia took his arm and leaned up to kiss his cheek, "As long as you're here, and not about to leave on some urgent mission, I think I can forgive you."

Gregory held her eyes, "Nothing could take me away from you tonight..." He bent to kiss her lips.

"Okay, let's keep this rated G. There is a baby in the house..." Bette shoved them playfully out the door. "I'll talk to you tomorrow, Toots."

Olivia laughed and let Gregory lead her to his car.


The pleasant aromas of dinner reached them as Gregory opened the door. It was evident the catering crew had left moments before they arrived. Candles were lit through the kitchen living room; the bread, fresh from the oven, still steamed; and soft, classical music emanated from the speakers. Olivia stepped inside and turned to embrace him, "I thought we were going out...?"

"We were, but I didn't want to share you. Tonight you and I are the only people on Earth..." He pulled the phone's plug from the wall. "May I get your chair?"

She sat and he pushed her up to the table. She was impressed by all he'd put together, especially since he'd been stuck at work. It was much more elegant than the dinner she'd had prepared for him months ago. She watched as he expertly opened the bottle of Champagne and poured it before revealing the delicacies laid on silver trays and covered dishes. Some of her favorite things and others she'd never tried made her mouth water, "What did I do to deserve this?"

He lifted her chin and kissed her lips in answer; a slow, intimate kiss that sent waves of desire rushing over her. "I love you, Olivia." He whispered when his mouth released hers from its dizzying power. "And tonight I plan to show you how much..." The second kiss was quicker as he disciplined himself and turned his attention to the dinner.

Stuffed mushrooms, Radicchio Leaves Stuffed with Tuna Mousse, Beef Medallions with Shiitake Mushroom Sauce, Mashed Potatoes with Arugula, Orange and Ginger Glazed Beets, fresh baked Italian bread, and a Coeur á la Crème with Fresh Strawberries for dessert was more than enough to impress Olivia and she enjoyed each course immensely. Gregory was impressed with how well things had turned out and made a mental note to patronize the caterer again. Perhaps for their wedding... He smiled at the thought.

"What?" Olivia met his eyes, seeing something she hadn't before, something hidden behind the smile.

"I was thinking how fortunate I was to have you here..." He stood and offered his hand. "May I have this dance?"

"I'd be honored." She rose and slid into his arms. The soft music, the candlelight, and the meal combined to give the evening a pleasantly soothing feel as she rested her head against his chest, their bodies swaying together.

"I love you, Olivia." He said softly, finally pulling away from her.

She raised her head. "I love..." Her words were cut off, her head lowering to follow his movement as he dropped to one knee and held her hands. Her mouth remained open in disbelief as her heart raced and tears filled her eyes and realization dawned on her. "Gregory..." she whispered.

"Shhh..." He insisted. "I've practiced this a million times. If you say anything you'll mess me up... I love you, Olivia. I love you with all my heart. That sounds cliché and doesn't begin to express how I feel about you but after weeks of trying to find the right words I've realized they don't exist. You're a part of me, Olivia, and my life can never be complete without you in it. I can never be complete without you... I need you... I need to know every day that when I wake up you'll be there and that when I go to sleep at night I'll have you beside me, for the rest of my life." He pulled the ring from his pocket, "Olivia Blake, I'm asking you to be my wife. Will you marry me?"

Olivia could barely see through the tears as he slipped the ring onto her finger and then stood, taking her face in his hands and kissing away the tears on her cheeks. She raised her hands to his face and brought his lips to hers, kissing him and then wrapping her arms tightly around him, "Yes, Gregory... Oh, my Darling, yes... I've never wanted anything more than to be your wife."

Gregory held her close, his heart pounding against hers and laughed lightly, a carefree, ecstatic laugh. "Good... Because I would never have let you say no..."