present municipality of Ajuy started as a small settlement established
by the early Malayan freedom seekers on the north side of the Gubaton River
near the present site of Barangay Lanjagan. The natives originally called
popular story of how Ajuy got its name is as follows; "During the
Spanish era, a spaniard who was assigned to list the names of coastal villages
of this portion of Iloilo, came to this place where he met a native who
was gathering wood. The stranger asked for the name of the settlement.
The native, who did not understand Spanish, thought he was asked what he
was gathering; and so answered, "Kahoy". And so the spaniard noted down
the word Ajoy which was later changed to Ajuy, the present official
name of this town."
several years of its founding, the settlement prospered and the population
increased. Many people engaged in trade with the neighboring islands
and towns. However, they found it difficult to transport their goods to
those places from Ajuy, and so they located to a more convenient place.
Thus the present site of the poblacion was selected because of its ideal
municipality of Ajuy was formerly a part of Sara. It became a full-fledged
municipality in 1917 through the untiring efforts of its educated citizens
under the able leadership of Dionisio Diel, Alejo Posadas, Manuel Arones
and Antonio Manipula. These men were mainly responsible for the separation
of Ajuy from Sara.
of the Province of Iloilo (longitude: 123'01"16"; latitude: 11'10"30").
It is 92 km. from the city and it extends from Piliwan, its southern-most
sitio to Serruco River in the north.
SUBDIVISION / JURISDICTION
Area – 19,432 hectares
– Type II
- Apr. (60 mm./mo.)
- Dec. (203 mm./mo.)
38,415 (1995 National Census)
/ Cultural Minority Groups: Aetas
Area: 11,885 sq. m.
Area: 120,000 sq. m.:
Joseph Ice Plant
Multipurpose Inc. in Bubog Silagon sells consumers goods and fish cages (bangus)
Rosario MPCI in Sto. Rosario offers swine / cattle dispersal projects and
credits assistance through LBP.
Pili MPCI in Tigbao Tupas, Pili, offers credit assistance through LBP.
Church MPCI in Brgy. Poblacion sells consumers’ goods.
Bunglas MPCI in Puente Bunglas offers credit assistance through LBP.
"Parola". It has a lighthouse managed by 4 men of the Philippine Navy.
The lighthouse has quarters built around 1900 and appears to have not been
used. There are 8 guest rooms, which can accommodate 10 persons. Tourists
can either swim, snorkel, fish or boat. There are no residents in the island.
Island is only 150 m. from Calabasa Island. It also offers a place for
relaxation and rest, playgrounds and fishing. There are residential units
in the northern part of the island.
the residents it is "Punta". Instead of sand, the beaches have clean and
smooth stones thus making waters clear and crystal-like. It is an ideal
place for swimming, fishing, skin diving, boating and solitude. Although
undeveloped, it can attract tourists both local and foreign.
is 4 kilometers away from the Poblacion and located in Barangay Tipacla.
It is a scenic spot, which offers a cool environment and clear waters for
swimming and areas for picnics.
Hill Top (Culasi)
Falls (Sto. Rosario)
Falls (Sto. Rosario)
of attractions such as water falls, island beaches and other potential
scenic spots in the municipality:
Falls – Sitio Dawis, Poblacion
Buri Island – Brgy. Punta Buri
Island Beach – Parola Island
31 km. (concrete, asphalt, gravel)
10.984 km. (concrete, gravel)
43.1 km. (concrete, gravel)
Sea Ports – Victorias Milling Company Transloading Station for sugar cane
(Negros Occidental – Bay–ang route)
small wharves or docking area for four ferry boats which traverse the Ajuy
Victorias (Negros Occidental) route and vice versa