towns along the coast of the island of Panay. Anilao was founded by a group
of fishermen during the Pre Spanish period. Its name was reportedly
derived from the Anilao tree growing abundantly along the bank of Anilao
formerly an arabal of the municipality of Banate and became an independent
on November 1, 1939 by virtue of Executive Order No. 220 of President Manuel
L. Quezon under the sponsorship of Governor Tomas Confesor and Assemblyman
at the northeastern of Iloilo Province; 40 kilometers from Iloilo City.
Bounded by the Municipalities of San Enrique in the north, Banate in the
east, Dingle in the west, Barotac Nuevo in the southwest and Guimaras strait
in the south.
clay loam - at the western part of the municipalities
Mostro, Manganese, Balunos and Guipis have manganese deposits and are believed
to have potential for gold deposits
- 20,711 (1995 NSO)
– located at Brgy. Palaypay; 2.50 km from the poblacion
– located at Brgy. Balunos; 8 km from the poblacion
– located at Brgy. Manganese; 8 km from the poblacion
Festival and Fiesta
May 21-22 - Religious
October 31 – November
1- Kaadlawan sang Anilao
Proposed Tourim Projects
The municipality proposes
for the establishment of Ecological and Conservation Park for Flaura and
Fauna at Patugpahon Plateau situated at barangay Manganese some 8 kms.
away from the Poblacion and Municipal Centennial Park at Poblacion.