|MUNICIPALITY OF BANATE|
Vice Mayor: Exequiel Palec, Sr.
BRIEF HISTORYBanate is a beautiful coastal town with an obscure historical background, having no records of history prior to 1865 when Andres Maningo became its first teniente del barrio (Barrio Kapitan). At the time, Banate which was believed to have been only the barrio of Barotac Nuevo, which was founded by fishermen in the early days of Spanish regime. Ricardo Ikalina, who kept the town's historical data during his incumbency as Municipal Treasure, stated that Banate was not even considered a barrio at that early date. Historians referred to the place as "Visita" because it was visited every now and then by prominent Barotac Nuevo citizens for it was wide stretch of beautiful sandy beach.
Sometimes, the tow'ns name is reportedly attributed to the presence of many Banate trees in the area. According to the legend, when the Spaniards arrived in this place all its inhabitants fled except an old man who failed to go far because he was so slow. When it rained, the old man took shelter under the Banate tree where a Spanish officer found him. When the white man asked him, "Como sellema esta pueblo" the old native man, uncertain as to what to say, merely said "Banate", because he thought that the Spaniard was asking, him that name of the tree was. While such legend sounds too absurd to be true, it is the only explanation often given by people when asked why their, town is called Banate. Indeed Banate trees still around within the territorial limits of the municipality.
There is no recorded Act of Legislation that recognized the legal existence of the Municipality. It was, however, with the appointment of Felix Babieraas the first Gobernadorcillo in 1837 that Banate became a town. The original site of the Poblacion was then situated near the shore. A stone throw from it to the north was the town cemetery. For a market place, nipa and bamboo shack were constructed along the area.
Included within the territorial jurisdiction of the town were, Barotac Viejo and Anilao which were still barrios then Barotac Viejo became an independent town on January 1, 1918 as per executive order No. 84 of the Gobernador General, while Anilao seceded during the term of Benjamen Buyco as municipal mayor. He was a native of Anilao and served as Mayor of Banate.
LOCATION AND ACCESSIBILITYOf the 18 Barangay, the farthest is 13 km. from the town proper. Inner barangay could be reached by jeepneys and tricycles. There are more or less franchised 100 tricycles in Banate. In the Poblacion. trisicads are pre-dominant. The island Barangay of San Salvador which could only be reached by bancas and pump-boats before, could be easily reached by any land transportation with the completion of Talokgangan-San Salvador bridge. From the Iloilo city proper which is 50 km. away, peoples travel by bus, jeepneys or private vehicle. The adjacent municipalities in the province of Negros Occidental can easily reached by roll-on roll-off pump-boats or motorized bancas which have daily schedules.
The 11 mini-buses and 6 jeepneys in the municipality in addition to other vehicles from other municipalities and concrete road net work contribute to easy transportation to and from the city of Iloilo. There are two regular jeepneys, going to and from the province of Capiz via the municipalities of Passi and Calinog.
The minimum fare from Banate to Iloilo City is P19.00 on mini-bus and bus and P30.00 for the L-300 Van or FX-Van in going to and in the province of Iloilo or Iloilo City.
RESOURCES PROFILELand Area
DEMOGRAPHIC PROFILEPopulation - 23,364 (1990 NSO)
INTERESTING PLACES / EVENTS
Festivals and Town Fiestas
INFRASTRUCTURE AND UTILITIES
|Barangay Road||56 km.|
|Municipal Road||4 km.|
|Provincial Road||13 km.|
|National Road||5 km.|
|Balandra Bridge||15 linear m. wide and 30 m. long|
|Alacaygan Bridge||15 linear m. wide and 20 m. long|
Banate has one fishing port tha also serves the other neighbouring towns such as Pototan, Dingle, Calinog, and Lambunao. It also accomodates vessels travelling from Panay to the the Negros Province.
Medical and Health Facilities