to the records of the National Historical Commission under Chairman
Esteban A. De Ocampo of Metro Manila, the Municipality of Cabatuan
was founded in the year 1732.
founding in 1732 is justified
by a huge cross made of hard thick "murawon" (molave) the
base of which still stands at Pamul-ogan Hill. On the cross
which was officially revenerated on April 9, 1972, during the celebration
of the 239th year Foundation was carved "1732" although what remains of
the cross now is only its base. Only residents of the town recall
that the cross was more than four meters high, loading the Tigum River
and the plains towards the town. It is presumed that the early founding
Spaniards, following their procedures of establishing a new town is first
dedicating the place of Christ, had made the cross and carved the date
was believed originally planned by Tono, it conceded tribal leader with
two leaders, Gomoc and Amihan. The site of early settlements
was on level track of land near the Northern bank of the Tigum River where
the Poblacion is now located.
Cabatuan was officially organized upon the installation of Rev. Father
Antonio Lopez as first priest and Tan Tono as its first Governadorcillo.
Hall and the Catholic Church were simultaneously built, in the locality.
Tono the organizing leader, became its first governadorcillo or "Capitan".
The town was placed by the priest under the spiritual protection of Saint
Nicolas de Tolentino whom Cabatuananons still venerated today as their
Patron Saint on September 10 of every year.
were constructed and the number of homes increased with rapid rate.
However not until more than one hundred and fifty years later that
the giving of official names to the streets was made.
Cabatuan got its name
Cabatuan is suggestive of the character of its people and the nature of
the locality. It may be derived from hiligaynon word "Kabatuhan"
meaning full of stone or bato, from "batuan" meaning against, contrary
or opposite, to resist, oppose, challenge, defy, fight or contest.
Some old folks believed that the name was derived from batuan, a
tree whose sour fruits are used in seasoning vegetables and other foods
which formerly abound in the locality.
lies at the heart of the Island of Panay. It is come 24 kilometers
away from Iloilo City. Located on the west central part of the Province
of Iloilo. It is bounded on the north by the Municipality of Janiuay, on
the east of Maasin, on the northwest of Sta. Barbara and New Lucena, on
the south Alimodian and San Miguel. All the aforementioned towns with exception
of Alimodian are directly connected with roads from Cabatuan.
of Cabatuan is composed of 68 barangays of which 11 are found in
the Poblacion and 57 are in the rural areas. Cabatuan has a total land
area of 11,653 has and has a climate under type II.