MUNICIPALITY OF DUEÑAS

Mayor: Pio B. Pama Jr.
Vice Mayor: Pablo L. Landar

[ brief history ]  [ accessibility ]  [ resource profile ]
[ demographic profile ] [ tourist facilities ]
[ infrastructure and utilities]

BRIEF HISTORY 

The documented historical account of Dueñas started when Miguel Lopez de Legaspi sent his men to Panay in 1569 and made the island as the second Spanish settlement in the Philippines. Legaspi then assigned an encomienda to Diego Lopez de Valdepenas covering Sibucao, a district of Dueñas in 1571. Dueñas was founded in 1590 with the name of Sumandig. Sumandig was an annex of Sibucao. In this place the people practiced pagan rituals and idol worshipping. A certain god named diwata Banog, believed to delay or impede travelers, was offered rituals and dances as peace offerings. A certain folk hero named Labaodunggon was also hero-worshipped by the folks. He was the husband of Unay Tanayon, the daughter of Datu Paiburong and his wife Pamalaon. In 1598, the Agustinian took back Sibucao where Fr. Juan de Villamayor was assigned as the first Parish of Dueñas in May 7, 1599. Four years later it was joined to Dumangas (1603) and enjoyed independence two years after (1605). In 1608, it was transferred to Laglag (now Pader, Dueñas). It had only five barrios, namely: Sibucao and sumandig in the Lowlands; and Misi, Camantungan and Malonor in the upland.

As the conversion of the natives in the lowlands were going on, those natives who refused to be converted went upland and continued their pagan rituals/religious practices. A noted sorcerer named Tapar used to go around the town as babaylan (quack doctor) and convince people to worship idols and practices fornication. This was during the term of Fr. Francisco de Mesa as Parish Priest of Laglag (1659-1663). When the priest learned the unhappy condition in which souls of parishioners were at stake, he went to the barrio of Malonor, despite of much opposition from some town officials, to persuade Tapar and his followers to go back to the holy faith, only to face his death in the hands of the latter. Two days after, the Spanish soldiers went to the barrio of Malonor to recover and bury the body of the town’s first martyr.

Lately, in 1845, Laglag was moved around four (4) kilometers eastward with the name of Dueñas, in memory of the birthplace (Dueñas, Palencia, Spain) of Fr. Florencio Martin, OSA who authored the transfer. The word "Dueñas" or "Dueña" (sing) is derived from the Latin word domna or domina, which means landlady or madam who, has dominion over a certain or estates.

Signs that early or pre-Hispanic Civilization or settlement existed in Dueñas are also proven by the relics found in Tinocuan and Pader, formerly called Laglag, ceramic wares found in these areas are characterized by technical perfection of a simple feldspathic glaze of Song ceramics of Sung Dynasty (960-1279), and the blue and white resulting from cobalt pigment of Ming Ceramics of Ming Dynasty (13681644). These relics confirm the fact that early trade contacts with the Chinese and Arab Traders had been going on. What is significant about the two areas are their strategic places along the river which were logical points to give birth to civilization or settlement since they are along the river the only means of transportation.


ACCESSIBILITY


RESOURCE PROFILE


DEMOGRAPHIC PROFILE

  

PLACES OF INTERESTS

 

INFRASTRUCTURE AND UTILITIES

  

[ brief history ]  [ accessibility ]  [ resource profile ]
[ demographic profile ] [ tourist facilities ]
[ infrastructure and utilities]
1