|MUNICIPALITY OF PAVIA||
Pavia was established in 1848 by the Spanish as a town of the District of Jaro. Before the incurations of the Spaniards, Pavia was believed to be settled by the Malays and later on by the Chinese had established trade and commerce in the settlement with an estimated population of 200 to 400 persons.
The historical facts coupled with sentiments made sentimental Pavianhons believe that their town was built in 1848 when thirteen 13 landowners decided to shape the future of the former camping place, decisively noted as "biya-biya", meaning neglected or abandoned. In October 2, 1886, the plans for the bricks church of Pavia was completed in Spain and official launching of the construction was started on the day of Patron Saint, Sta. Monica, May 4, 1887. The Spanish Curate Rev. Fr. Antonio Fermintino who enlisted the labor force of the town undertook supervision of the construction. It is believed that the town was named after Colonel Pavia of Spain. Old folks still remember the heroic stand of Pedro Darroca and Juan Cornel in 1889 and the fierce battle against the Americans in Sambag and Ungka in 1899. Pavia, which had been a part of Sta. Barbara since 1901, seceded from it in 1904 and was annexed to Iloilo City. But Jaro, together with Pavia and Leganes, seceded from Iloilo City in 1907. This made Pavia an "arabal" of Jaro.
The first President Municipal was elected in 1916. In 1921, Pavia obtained independence from the district of Jaro through the efforts of prominent citizens.
Pavia is composed of 18 barangays.
Land Area - 3,804 hectares
The land area is used for the following purposes as shown below:Residential - 362.83 hectaresTopography
Industrial - 1109.00 hectares
Commercial - 5.745 hectares
Institutional - 12.945 hectares
Agricultural - 2066.57 hectares
Open Space - 247.57 hectares80% of land area - 20 feet above sea levelSoil Type
20% of land area - 30 feet above sea levelUmingan Sandy LoamMineral Resources
Sta. Rita ClaySand and Gravel
Main crop - rice
- leafy vegtables
Livestock and Poultrycarabao
Pavia is the Regional - Agro Industrial Center of Western Visayas as only of the components of the Panay-GuimarasNegros Agro-Industrial Area development Project (PAGNAIADP).
As of 1997 there are 38 manufacturing establishments operating in the are, producing various product such as poultry feeds, milled rice, farm implements, noodles, industrial and medical; gases, banana chips and sauce.
Pinipig making and Baye-baye Making in Brgys. Cabugao Sur, Cabugao Norte, Anilao, Purok III and Purok IV considered to be town's specialties well loved to be given as pasalubong and favorite delicacies.
- RAIC Industrial plants such as:
- Basic Fruits Corp.
- Panay Tropical Grain and Milling Corp.
- New Panay Ventures Inc.
- Pavia Feed Mill
- Jaspe Light Steel Industries
- Magnolia Nestle Corp.
- Coca-Cola Bottlers Phils., Inc.
- Robinhood Manufacturing
- El Grande Foods, Inc.
- Vitarich Corp.
- Mandaue Foam
Regional learning Resource Center - a P14 Million worth project and latest to be constructed at the campus of Pavia National High School, Pavia, Iloilo.
University of Iloilo in Barangay Ungka II - with its vast campus housing the College of Technology.
Commission of Population Building housing the Western Visayas Regional Office and training center.
Pottery - Making in Brgy. Jibao-an and Pandac and age-old livelihood, which manufacture flowerpots, cooking pots, jars and other pottery items.
Tourist FacilitiesAccommodationsExisting Tourism - Related ProjectsPension HouseRestaurants / Carinderias - Twenty eight (28)
- Function Rooms - three (3) (combined capacity of 500 persons)
- Aircon Rooms - five (5)
- Non-aircon - twelve (12)
Sports Recreation Centers
- Track Oval / Football Field with Grandstand
- Gym with basketball court 500 seating capacityImprovement of Municipal Hall and Plaza.Proposed Tourism Development ProjectsNational Road Lighting
Municipal Library and Museum
|Concrete / Asphalt Roads||Gravel Roads||Bridges|
Bank - one (1)