|MUN. OF POTOTAN||
The first people of Pototan were the family of Datu Ramon, a grandson of Datu Puti, a Malay who came from the town of Dumangas. They first settled at Barangay Naslo, which was formerly the Poblacion. In that place found a luxuriant growth of trees called "PUTAT" after which the place was subsequently named "KAPUTUTAN". However, due to its hilly terrain and the arduousness in securing their water supply, they decided to move nearer the bank of the Sausage River, which turned out later into a flourishing place now called Pototan.
In the middle of the 16th century, the Chinese traders arrived in Pototan. Their arrival gave birth to a new horizon. The natives learned the techniques of trade and commerce, which continued to flourish until the middle part of the 17th century.
The arrival of another foreign group, the Spaniards, sparked new changes in the socio-economic and political life the residents. It was the starts of anew era and the conversion of the natives of Catholicism. It was also at this time that the name "KAPUTUTAN" was changed to "POTOTAN" by the colonizers. Education was introduced, although this was only for the privileged few. To improve the economic and social condition of the place, the Spaniards introduced and built roads and bridges. They constructed the tribunal of Municipal Hall under the supervision of Tomas Sajen and Don Escribano with the residents contributing the labor force. The tribunal was able to withstand and the wrath of the last global was and in the early 50's was modified into what is now known as the Western Visayas Hospital. In 1874, the Pototans were given the opportunity to run their own political affairs with the appointment of Juan Marcelo as the first Capitan Municipal. This form of government continued until the arrival of the Americans.