|MUN. OF SAN ENRIQUE||
It was once the old folk’s tradition to have a patron saint in every pueblo. Hear says are quite uniform in stating that the act of choosing San Enrique to be the town’s patron saint was intentionally done; that is in honor of the incumbent Spanish Provincial Governor of Iloilo named San Enrique. However, it was found out that the act of making San Enriqueas to town’s patron saint could not be pushed through because of financial problems. The town was understood to have no fund yet to buy the image of the saint with its own expense. Hence, when a fellow named Simon Padios, offered the image of Saint Auxilium Christianorum, the people gladly accepted the offer.
When the priest of Passi
heard of the incident that Saint Auxilium Christianorum would replace San
Enrique as the patron saint of Bontok, he admonished the people by saying
that the spirit of San Enrique would be displeased. The priest thus suggested
that in order to appease the spirit of the saint, they should name pueblo
Bontok as pueblo
San Enrique. That put on record that the Municipality of San Enrique was first established in 1881 capable of self-government and determination.
There were eighteen (18) barrios that were included under the jurisdiction of San Enrique namely; Camiri, Paga, Compo, Rumagayray, Palje, Cabas-an, Tambunac, Garita, Mapili, Dumiles, Bantayan, Gines, Quinolpan, Abaca, San Antonio, Madarag, Dawatan and Catan-agan.
From 1881 to 1904 San Enrique enjoyed its independence as a municipality. When William Howard Taft howewver, became the first Civil American Governor General of the Philippines Island, he ordered the merging of the neighboring towns into one municipality, this was done for economic and political reasons. Passi was made the seat of the municipal government. That made San Enrique together with Dueñas and Calinog an "Arrabal of Passi".
After the Second World War, same prominent citizens of San Enrique, notably Jesus Prudente, Cenon Pama, Exequiel Garrido and Romulo Von Lallab prepared a petition for San Enrique’s petition from Passi.
The petition duly signed by the people was forwarded to the President on July 1, 1957 through Mariano E. Peñaflorida of Iloilo and hand carried by Congressman Jose Aldeguer. Executive Order No. 259, duly signed by his Excellency Carlos P. Garcia on July 12, 1957 recreated the Municipality of San Enrique in the province of Iloilo.
The Municipality of San Enrique has a total land area of 8,772 hectares.
Land Use / Cover
Out of the total land area of 8,772 hectares; 7572 hectares is devoted to Agriculture; 33.34 hectares in Industrial; 12 hectares in Commercial; 86 hectares in residential; 25 hectares in Institutional and 1,043.66 hectares in forest, rivers, marsh and swamps.
Land Classification Status
|Alienable & Disposable||
There are six mountains range that landmark the topography of this municipality to wit:
Standing on their own right, the queen of these mountains is Mount Cañapasan, which is noted for its panoramic surrounding area. Its highest skyline makes vertical lift of 569 meters sea level. Second highest mountain is Mt. Bayoso with 405 meters above sea level. Located in the eastern part of the Poblacion, the grandeur and splendor of its crest is the seat of the towering RCPI, SMART, PLDT and other relay stations.
Besides from the small mountain ranges mentioned above, hilly to rolling is the several slope of the land. With slightly rolling and marginal flat land that blighted its landscape, this is utilized for lowland farming.
Generally, the soil type distribution in this area regardless of the land classification is clay and loam. This dominant in any topographic area.
San Enrique has non-metallic mineral resources located at Bgy. Camiri and Rumagayray. So its resource potentials have no mineral reserves, mineral production and claimed mine land.
Despite the presence of non-metallic minerals like limestone in Rumagayray, some private individual is engaged in processing and a production of limestone. Yearly production of hydrated lime is very small in volume because limes produced only by using the crude of "Tutod" method and cannot compete with the others like in Guimaras Island. In Bgy. Camiri there’s also a non-metallic mineral resource for use in the making of pots, jars, etc. They used clay soil.
As of 1995 the National Census and Statistics Office (NCSO) has registered a total household population of 25,572 from the municipality of San Enrique, this indicated an increase of 875 over the 1990 total population of 24,697.
Ethnic / Cultural Minority Groups
Aside from the prevailing inhabitants of this municipality, the transient ethnic groups that frequent this place belongs to the cultural minority, the aetas or Negriteos. They are seasonally around during planting and harvesting of sugarcane.
Existing Tourism - Related Projects
Proposed Tourism Development Projects
The type of existing roads in the municipality is the National Roads, Provincial Roads and the Municipal Roads. The National Roads are the San Enrique-San Rafael Road, the San Enrique-Garita Road and the San Enrique-Dingle Road, the San Enrique-Dueñas Road and the KABASAKA Road. The Municipal Roads consist of Municipal Streets and the Barangay Roads.
There are six (6) major bridges and considerable meterage of overflows and box culverts. The different concrete bridges are located in different barangays. Asisig bridge at Bgy. Asisig with a total length of 45 LM. The bridge located in Imbesad-an is measured approximately 30 LM in length. Lictinon bridge at Bgy. Catan-agan is approximately 39 LM. Rumagayray Bridge is measured roughly about 30 LM in length and Paga Bridge with a length of 25 LM.
Since numerous shallow creeks in addition to bridges traverse the land surface of the town, overflows are constructed to supplement the road network. These overflows are usually a fill-up of boulders amalgamated with concrete and supplemented with reinforced concrete pipes serving as water under passage. During floods, water just overflow, since flooding of this creeks or rivers is usually of short duration, suspension of traffic during floods along these overflows is very temporary.
Some of the overflows can be found at Bgy. Abaca, Bgy. Cubay and Bgy. Lip-ac-Palje.