|MUN. OF TIGBAUAN||
Tigbauan is known as the Liberation Town.
When the ten Borneans datus under Datu Puti landed in Panay, the families of Maglawis and Labig-isog settled at a river bank teeming with all Tigbaw reeds. So, they called their place "Katigbawan" which included the present town of San Joaquin, Miag-ao, Guimbal, Igbaras, Tubungan, Leon and Alimodian under Don Esteban Rodriguez de Figuroa.
In 1575, it became a pueblo named Tigbuan with Francisco Malia as its first capitan. The poblacion was also moved to its present site. They called the old settlement Daanbanwa (now Parara). In 1592, the Jesuits under Fray Pedro Chirino established the first school for boys in the Philippines.
During the Philippines Revolution, Tigbauan joined it led by General Fermin Rivas. When the Americans established civil government, they installed Ramon altura as president.
During World War II, the town was one of those who suffered most under Japanese brutalities. Its war hero was Lt. Napoleon Rivas who was killed during the guerilla assault of Iloilo City. On March 18, 1945, the U.S. liberation forces under Gen. Roberto Eichelberger of the U.S. 8th Army landed at Parara.