La Villa de Arevalo
- 6 kms southwest of Iloilo City: seat of the Alcadia de Panay; first
Spanish settlement in Panay to be attacked in 1588 by the English privateer
Molo District - Called Parian in the old days. It was the Chinese Quarters of La Villa de Arevalo; Athens of the Philippines, has produced many intellectual and political leaders.
Molo Church - 3 kms from the city proper; Gothic Renaissance Church of coral rock; completed in the 1800, two rows of female saints line both sides of the church.
Asilo de Molo - 3.5 kms south of Iloilo City proper; an orphanage where princely vestments worn by church dignitaries are made, designated and hand embroidered by little orphan girls under the tutelage of the nuns.
Jaro - 3 kms from the city proper: old colonial houses of the sugar barons and Hispano-Filipino houses of the elite still stand, antique shops; seat of Catholicism in Western Visayas.
Jaro Belfry - 3 kms northwest of Iloilo City proper; ruined by an earthquake in 1948: one of the few belltowers in the country which stands apart from the church.
Jaro Cathedral - 3 kms from the city proper; seat of the Jaro Archbisphoric embracing Western Visayas.
Old Building at Downtown Area - Downtown Iloilo, J.M. Basa Street or Calle Real boasts of buildings that dated back during the Spanish and American colonial periods.
Muelle Loney - Port of Iloilo named after British Nicholas Loney, Father of the Sugar Industry of Panay and Negros. Considered one of the safest harbors because of Guimaras Island that protects it from drastic winds: first opened to foreign trade in 1855.
Fort San Pedro - Built by the Spaniards in the early 1600; attacked by Dutch , British, American and Japanese troops; birthplace of the first Filipino commercial air transportation, the Iloilo-Negros Air Express Co., founded by the Lopez brothers on February 3, 1933.
Pavia Church - 13 kms northwest of Iloilo City; a neo-classical church where Gen. Martin Delgado of the Visayan Revolutionary Government convened the junta that raised the first cry of revolution against Spain in Iloilo.
Sta. Barbara Golf Course - 16 kms north of Iloilo; 18-hole; 37 hectares of golf course which is the oldest in the country; built in 1907.
Tigbauan Church - 22 kms southwest of Iloilo City; baroque facade; behind the rectory was the first Jesuit school for the boys in the Philippines, established in 1592.
Panay Liberation Marker (Tigbauan) - 23 kms. southwest of Iloilo City; commemorates American liberation of Panay from the Japanese in 1945.
Miag-ao Church - 40 kms southwest of Iloilo City; built in 1786; native facade; a unique explosion of botanical motif reminiscent of Aztec Art; declared a national landmark in 1973 by P.D. 260.
Spanish Bailiwick, Brgy. Carmelo - 300 meters from Banate town proper; a historical landmark known as the hiding place of the Spanish authorities from the Moros.
Guimbal Church - Yellow sandstone church built by Fr. Campos; Spanish-Filipino vintage towers and stone walled cemetery built by Fr. Agustin Llorente.
Guimbal Watchtowers - 29 kms southwest of Iloilo City; 5 stone watchtowers called bantayan by the natives during the Spanish Era to warn the townspeople of marauding pirates.
Siwaragan River -
According to legend, the ten Bornean Datus landed here in the middle of
the 13th century and bought the island of Panay with a beaten gold hat
and a long necklace from the Negrito Chieftain, Marikudo. With the
barter of Panay, the Negritos decided to live in the mountains while the
Malays occupied the lowlands.
San Joaquin Cemetery - 53 kms southwest of Iloilo City; built in 1892 of coral rock; a hexagonal chapel crowns a 20 step staircase flanked by stone balustrades; rose windows at the main entrance.
Cabatuan Church - Neoclassical; built in early 1800; every side is a facade in itself; walls are overlaid with brick.
Japanese Fortification, Cabatuan - Concrete structure during the Japanese occupation. Built on a hill 20 ft. high with a diameter of 9 ft., used as a lookout by the Japanese soldiers guarding the road and the approach to the airfield in Tiring; Cabatuan Walls are still intact.
Janiuay Church - Ruins of the beautiful church at the town’s plaza where it had been built. Bells of JD Reyna foundry in Iloilo in 1871 and 1898 are still in use.
Januiay Cemetery - Famous Hispano-Filipino cemetery built in 1875 of cut stone and fossil rock sprawling on a hilltop with 3 imposing stairways and 2 Gothic doors: 32 kms. from Iloilo City.
Concrete Pillboxes - Built by the Japanese forces during the war, rise on both ends of Janiuay Bridge on the way to Lambunao. One is about 25 ft. tall with a diameter of 9 feet. Both pillboxes are intact. These were manned by Japanese soldiers who were later flushed out by Filipino Guerillas; barely 1 km. from Janiuay town proper.
Antique Collections - Collection of Philippine colonial sculpture, wood stone and ivory saints, Chinese porcelain wares and other artifacts by the following:
Isla de Gigantes - Where 15th century burial caves are still found. One cave has a stone elephant and a natural swimming pool; 12 kms. east of Estancia.
Nadsadjan Falls - In Igbaras, 39 kms. southwest of Iloilo City; a 50-foot high falls dropping on a giant cauldron-like natural swimming pool.
Cataan Cove - In San Joaquin town, 60 kms southwest of Iloilo City; has beautiful marine garden; ideal for scuba diving.
Nasidman and Calabasa Islands - The two islands are 150 meters away from each other and 7 kms and 1 nautical mile from Ajuy poblacion. Calabasa is government owned. Both islands offer solitude, land and sea playgrounds, fishing and other water sports.
Punta Buri - Brgy. Punta Buri, 6 nautical miles from Ajuy poblacion; ideal sport for day and night swimming.
Darangkulan Waterfall - In sitio Bagibong, Brgy. Balabag, 8 kms from the town proper of Ajuy; lush vegetation; situated at the foot of Mt. Manyakiya, the highest peak in the municipality.
Nagpana Falls - 12 kms from Barotac Viejo poblacion; swimming hideaway overlooking the beautiful scenarios; forest abundant with wildlife; ideal place for hunting. Nearby is the place where Aetas (cultural minority group) live.
Moroboro Springs - Located in Dingle town, 41 kms from Iloilo City, has swimming pools supplied with crystal-clean water from the eternal springs. There are pavilions for excursionists.
Tinagong Dagat (Hidden Sea) - A lake situated at the outskirts of Lambunao, Iloilo near the Iloilo-Antique boundary; 20 kms from the poblacion or about 16 kms from the West Visayas State University-College of Agriculture and Fishery (WVSU-CAF) campus at Lambunao, by mountain trail; 2,000 ft. above sea level; surrounded by 40 hectares of rolling hills; abounds with eels, edible snails, carps, tilapia and other fish.
Mt. Napulac - 60 kms from Iloilo City or 5 kms from Agdum, Miag-ao town; nearest barangay to its base; has virginal forest and abundant wildlife.
San Juan Falls - 6.2 kms from Sara town proper. A series of falls and pools located in a valley of lush vegetation. Accessible by road; approximately 100 ft. high.
Note: Off Iloilo’s northern coast from the town proper of Concepcion to the town of Carles are many more islets that offer unspoiled nature, peopled by folks engaged in the elemental pursuits of living. The fine white sand, hilly uplands, seemingly unlimited freshwater, virgin forests, rare and exotic flora and fauna are some of the island’s many splendored assets.
Dept. of Tourism