|MUN. OF TUBUNGAN||
The town of Tubungan was formally founded in 1768 through the efforts of Tan Mangon in barrio Tin-an that now forms part of the present town site. Settlers came from Nahapay, Guimbal and from neighboring towns of Leon, Igbaras and Tigbuan.
In 1769, it was an "arrabal" (a political unit bigger than a barrio) of Guimbal and Agustin Mambuti was appointed the first Teniente to represent Tubungan in the Municipal council.
Tubungan was made again a municipality in 1803 with the appointment of Fernando Paguntalan as its first Captain. However, bandit raids that placed the town under constant danger led to the incorporation of Tubungan to Guimbal from 1906 to 1820.
In 1821, when the situation returned to normal, Tubungan once more became independent. Then in1905, the American Civil Government ordered the fusion of small towns with the bigger ones. For the second time Tubungan became an "arrabal" of Guimbal and remain as such for 33 years, from 1905 to 1938.
The separation of Tubungan from Guimbal came as a direct result of keen political rivalry during the 1937 elections. A Tubunganon candidate for Mayor in the person of Mr. Miguel Tagamolila won by 12 votes over a Guimbaleño candidate, Mr. Felimon Palacios was officially declared as the winner. Feeling aggrieved, the people from Igtuble led by Teniente Donis (Taghap) and from Lanag Norte led by Tan Genton (Francisco) formed an assault group to burn the town of Guimbal. However, they pacified and conceded to settle their scores through legal means. Mr. Miguel Tagamolila filed protest and there were positive indications that would come out victorious. To avert political dissension, the Congressman of the first District of Iloilo, Hon. Jose C. Zulueta and Provincial Governo0r Tomas Confesor made representation with the President to make Tubungan an independent Municipality.
Thus, on May 1, 1938 virtue of Executive Order No. 143 of His Excellency, Manuel Luis Quezon, President of the Philippine Commonwealth, Tubungan was finally reestablished as an independent municipality with Miguel Tagmolila as the first Mayor.
The Municipality of Tubungan is in Region VI, located at the southern western portion of Iloilo Province. It is bounded in the North by the Municipality of Leon, by the Municipality of Guimbal on the South, on east by the Municipality of Tigbuan and on the West by the Municipality of Igbaras. It is more or less 490 kilometers away from Iloilo City with a year round accessibility by motor.
Land Area - 8,581.9785
- Built-up areas - 134.59 hectares
- Industrial - 13.20 hectares
- Pastures - 56.45 hectares
- Agricultural - 5,971.72 hectares
- Forest - 2,288.20 hectares
- Roads - 48.58 hectares
- Water Bodies - 6924 hectares
The topography of the municipality is mostly rolling hills and mountains with only limited plains. It is 100 ft. above sea level with slopes ranging from 0-8 percent on the lower or plainer areas; 10-20 percent in terraced areas and 25-50 percent on the upper areas that include mountain boundaries.
Climate - Wet and dry.
Population - 19,563 (1997)
- Bakeries - 2
- Drug Stores - 2
- Welding Shops - 9
- Carinderias - 5
- Sari-Sari Stores - 102
- Cooperatives - 15
- Rice Mills
- Public Market - 1
- Barangay Market - 1Agricultural products: Rice, Corn, Coconuts, Mangoes, Bananas, Peanuts and Root Crops
Livestock: Chicken, Swine, Cattle, Carabao, Goat, Muscoby duck, Duck, Geese, Turkey
The scenic spot of Barangay Igtuble
Mount Pinihikan Dalaga
Post office - Philippine Post
- Televisions - HH Televisions
- Telephone - Landlines, Cellphones, Tranceivers