was once a nameless jungle or a no mans land with an abundance of big
trees, talahib, cogon and wild grasses so tall and thick, it was a place
good only for hunters. Luckily, the pioneers who first discovered Zarraga,
headed by Marcelino Poblador, Fulgencio Pinuela, Eugenio Pedro Zarraga
and Marcelino Pinuela formed the town in 1853. The town of Zarraga was
named after Pedro Zarraga, then Alcalde Mayor of Irong-Irong (now Iloilo
City). He served for eight years until his death in August 26, 1882. When
the Americans finally allowed the Filipinos to establish their own civil
government, Fruto Gregorios and Petre Gustilo ran for the position of Presidente
Municipal but came out in deadlock. Instead, the elected Vice President,
Calixto Gustilo, became the Presidente Municipal of Zarraga.
many other municipalities established during Spanish era, Zarraga had undergone
the days of trial and humiliation. In the early part of 1904, it became
the arrabal of the municipality of Sta. Barbara, much to the chagrin of
its people. It remained as such up to the year 1940. When by virtue of
Executive Order No. 295, by them President Manuel L. Quezon, it again became
a municipality. Emelio Gregorius became its first municipal mayor. Mayor
Porferio Pinuela was the first elected mayor, followed by Jovito Arimas.
Following the death of Arimas, his vice-mayor, Emiliano Lacson succeeded
him as municipal mayor.
the next election, Mayor Silveo Jr. was elected mayor and remained as such
until the EDSA revolution in 1986 when he had to relinquish his post following
the orders of the Aquino administration. Mayor Orlando replaced him. In
the 1995 elections, Mayor Silveo was elected mayor and remains as such
to the present.
is located approximately 16 km. away from the heart of Iloilo City going
North Bound. It is converging point of two national highways, which are
the main roads of Central Panay, including the provinces of Aklan and Capiz
and the northern towns of Iloilo Provinces.
is composed of 24 barangays.
Area 5,448 hectares
areas 500 hectares
and Creeks 130 hectares
Land Uses 1,385 hectares
Type Sta. Rita Clay
Plant (Jazz Cola)
and Gravel Dealers
is mostly an agricultural place with almost 60% of the total land area
are devoted to rice and other agricultural crops, 24 % are primarily devoted
to fishpond and the remaining areas for other land-uses.
Fiesta-Beginning January there is a round of fiesta celebration reaching
its climax every 15th May with the celebration of the Municipal
and Patron Saint in honor of St. Isidore Labrador. A mass is held at daytime
and dancing at night until the wee hours of the morning while muses grace
the occasion. The town people also observe Tigkalalag of All Saints Day,
Christmas Eve and New Year.
Holy Week celebration is rather significance with the construction
of Kapilya to represent the stations of Christ way of the cross. The people
of Barangay Gines made a reenactment or Pagtaltal to remind us how Jesus
Christ suffers to save us.
Tourism Related Projects
and Poblador Park
Road 12.30 kilometers (asphalt)
Road 6.975 kilometer (concrete, gravel)
Road 21.111 kilometer (concrete, gravel, earth)
Road 1.246 kilometer (concrete)
station - PT&T and BUTEL telegraph office
service - Landlines and Cellphones
- one (1) Rural bank
Health Center - 1
Health Centers - 3
Schools - 3
Schools - 7
Care Centers - 16