administrator

Joined: 21 Feb 2001
Location: USA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 8:49 am    Post subject: WebWide ISP / LowestBids - Not Exactly What They Promised! Reply with quote

I just got this e-mail. So much for their FISP! Not only is it not really what they promised all those months ago, but they lie about it being "the worlds most inexpensive Unlimited Internet Access" and "the lowest priced Unlimited Internet access in the nation." icon_mad.gif
Quote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "WebWideISP" <info@lowestbidscorp.com>
To: <>
Sent: Saturday, June 29, 2002 3:02 AM
Subject: Free Internet access you signed up for...

WebWide I.S.P has Launched, the worlds most inexpensive Unlimited Internet Access. Hello registered user. You recently registered for our Internet access offer. We have now launched our Nationwide Unlimited Access and we would like to invite you to be one of the first to sign up and take advantage of the lowest priced Unlimited Internet access in the nation. This is our special invitation to you to be among the first to enjoy the benefits of what will become the worlds first and only retail and Internet network. To sign up, simply go to http://www.webwideisp.com/ and click on the download link. We suggest that you choose the prepaid annual service plan for $99.00, which includes two additional months of Internet access Free! That is only $7.07 a month. You may also choose the monthly plan for only $8.95 a month. Once your service is activated, you can log in using your username and password, and be able to localize your home page to your own city or town, or the city or town of your choosing. We have over 3,600 local dialup numbers available. You may browse through all of the .1web sites and take a look at all of the exciting new products and services we are offering to our users, many of them free of charge. Remember this is the nations most inexpensive Unlimited Internet access. We invite you to sign up today and start spreading the news. For every 9 people you refer and sign up, you earn your I.S.P free for each month they stay signed up with us. Say goodbye to high Internet access charges, and say hello to the lowest Internet access in the country. Why pay up to $24.95 a month for Internet access when you can get our Unlimited Access service for only $8.95 a month or less. You may also get your I.S.P Free by earning WebDollars. You have up to one year to earn enough WebDollars to apply to your I.S.P service. You can find out more about WebDollars through our website. We look forward to having you as a valued user. Sincerely, Bob DeMaio President & C.E.O

_________________
"Cheapest Of The Cheap" ISPs
Back to top
kelticwizard

Joined: 05 Feb 2001
Location: Connecticut, The Nutmeg State

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sneaky, sneaky, sneaky. icon_devilish.gif

No question that the reason LowestBids figures that they can get away with making claims that it is the cheapest ISP is that, with the referral schtick and other promotions, the service can be free for some people-free in the sense that no cash is exchanged. You cannot get cheaper than "free", so they figure they are covered.

Oh, well, $8.95 is not the worst price anyone ever paid for internet service.

I would be careful, though. These people sound full of all sorts of promotions. I would check to make sure they are not selling the customers' information as an additional revenue source. If they are going to pull a fast one with "free" internet, I wouldn't put it past them.
Back to top
OperaBob

Joined: 26 May 2001

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too Gimmicky

OB

Viking Woman Singing
20.3K 120 x 140
Back to top
drchaps
administrator

Joined: 19 Jan 2001
Location: Where you'd least expect me

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 17:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I got that message too... Didnt read it, hit delete... It was going to be a scam from the beginning, but we always have to hold out hope icon_smile.gif

Steve
_________________
"Once the game is over, the King and the pawn go back in the same box." ~Italian Proverb
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
`we647
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 12:04 pm    Post subject: free is u signup 9 people Reply with quote

free is u signup 9people, even thats a scam. most isps that run that give u one month for each refferal. this outfit still claims thier free[if u jump thru flaming hoops it might be. the free cd cost 8.95. i guess thier free a whole lot different than everyone elses
Back to top
charles
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 16:50 pm    Post subject: webwideisp Reply with quote

I have joined the ISP. I like it. I have been through so many ISP before. They always raise the price for service in the long run. Recently switched from att.net, however they were cheaper in the beginning and just doubled their service charge to 14.95 a month. Oh, well ... all I can say is search for your bargains. I am pleased with their service even if it
is not free. Seven bucks a month isn't such a bad deal. icon_shiny.gif
Charles
Back to top
cheaper
Guest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 17:10 pm    Post subject: re: webwideisp Reply with quote

charles wrote:
I have joined the ISP. I like it. I have been through so many ISP before. They always raise the price for service in the long run. Recently switched from att.net, however they were cheaper in the beginning and just doubled their service charge to 14.95 a month. Oh, well ... all I can say is search for your bargains. I am pleased with their service even if it
is not free. Seven bucks a month isn't such a bad deal. icon_shiny.gif
Charles
but access4less is cheaper. icon_smile.gif
Back to top
Boz
administrator

Joined: 21 Feb 2001
Location: USA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 18:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several that are cheaper, including Access4Less at 5.95, AllVantage at $5.95, and Access4Cheap at 6.95, AND they all require only monthly payments. In order to get WebWideISP at a rate of 7.07, annual payments in advance are required.
_________________
"Cheapest Of The Cheap" ISPs
Back to top
Boz
administrator

Joined: 21 Feb 2001
Location: USA

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 20:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know when this change occurred since I haven't been watching this ISP too closely, but they have different pricing now.

$6.95 per month paid monthly unlimited access or

$4.99 per month paid $59.95 annually unlimited access

The option remains to get the access free by buying from the .1web network.

I haven't read the TOS, but it doesn't look too shabby based on the plan descriptions.
_________________
"Cheapest Of The Cheap" ISPs
Back to top
dannyboy

Joined: 26 Oct 2001

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 21:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boz wrote:
... $6.95 per month paid monthly unlimited access ...

This looks EXTREMELY promising.
I checked the access numbers & my area is UUnet (my FAVORITE).
The TOS says unlimited but not dedicated access (and not 150 or 200 hours posing as "unlimited" icon_smile.gif ) .
I also caution everyone to NOT pay annual in advance.
(That has proven to be a costly mistake, just ask anybody here).
If TalentG makes me mad, http://www.webwideisp.com/ will definitely be on my list, but I am not going to dump TalentG for $1 saving.
Good find, Boz! (New UUnet price leader for Cheapest-of-the-Cheap)
Dan icon_smile.gif
_________________
icon_hypocrite.gif
http://www.talentg.com/ UUnet primary ISP with any Qwest as backup.
If TalentG goes belly up, I will try http://www.webwideisp.com/ UUnet (cheaper).
Back to top
Boz
administrator

Joined: 21 Feb 2001
Location: USA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like DUN is okay, based on this "Live Instant Help" conversation:
Quote:
Kevin_CSR: hello boz...
Kevin_CSR: welcome to the .1web network
Boz: Hi. If I sign up for your service, do I have to use the software, or can I set up the connection manually?
Kevin_CSR: i think a few people have just used connection wizard to connect ot our service...
Kevin_CSR: but we will only support our software
Kevin_CSR: so i you can do both...
Boz: Okay, I just wanted to make sure that it was acceptable to NOT use the software, understanding the support is limited to the software.
Boz: Thank you.
Kevin_CSR: okay
The service is looking pretty good since the price reduction and the clarification that DUN is okay.

If anyone is brave enought to sign up for the annual plan, they do have a fair refund policy if cancellation occurs prior to the end of the year.
http://www.webwideisp.com/signup/signup.asp?Billing=2 wrote:
Cancellation of the pre-paid annual service is refundable on a prorated basis, based upon the full monthly charge of $6.95 per month

And although it isn't advertised as a tech support number, they do have a toll-free number posted.
http://www.webwideisp.com/signup/signup.asp?Billing=2 wrote:
If you have any questions, problems, or would like to order a CD by phone, please call 1-888-567-0100.

_________________
"Cheapest Of The Cheap" ISPs
Back to top
Boz
administrator

Joined: 21 Feb 2001
Location: USA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WWISP has raised its annual payment plan from $4.99 per month paid $59.95 annually up to $6.25 per month paid $74.95 annually. The monthly payment plan is still at $6.95 per month. See http://www.webwideisp.com/signup/ for more info.
_________________
"Cheapest Of The Cheap" ISPs
Back to top
teddeebur
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 13:08 pm    Post subject: free not fee isp Reply with quote

I am a little confused about the complaint that Dot1Web is not the cheapest ISP. The price is now not $8.95 but $6.25 when paid annually or $6.95 when paid month to month, no contract required. WHAT ARE YOU PAYING? Then if you follow the program to earn Free ISP, you can and will receive Dot1web FREE. Try it and let me know. I am using it and saving many bucks after quiting AOL.
icon_lol.gif
Quote:
Back to top
Boz
administrator

Joined: 21 Feb 2001
Location: USA

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 15:37 pm    Post subject: Re: free not fee isp Reply with quote

teddeebur wrote:
I am a little confused about the complaint that Dot1Web is not the cheapest ISP. The price is now not $8.95 but $6.25 when paid annually or $6.95 when paid month to month, no contract required. WHAT ARE YOU PAYING? Then if you follow the program to earn Free ISP, you can and will receive Dot1web FREE. Try it and let me know. I am using it and saving many bucks after quiting AOL.
icon_lol.gif
Quote:
Because there are several ISPs that are cheaper, including NeanderTech at $5.75, Access4Less at $5.95, AllVantage at $5.95, QwickConnect at $5.95, all paid monthly, and there are several other less expensive with quarterly or 6-month payments. I don't see anything wrong with WebWideISP, it is just that they shouldn't say they are the cheapest if they are not.
From http://www.webwideisp.com/signup/ :

If they want to claim to be the cheapest, then they need to lower their prices!
_________________
"Cheapest Of The Cheap" ISPs
Back to top
Corrine
administrator

Joined: 18 Jan 2001
Location: Upstate NY, USA

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 19:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pay less than $5/month so they really have quite a ways to go to be the cheapest.
_________________
Back to top
happy6610
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 20:51 pm    Post subject: re: cheapest isp Reply with quote

Corrine you costs are very low? Can you share with us who your provider is? I for one would like to know. This may have been talked about in the past, but I only found this message board about 1 month ago.
Back to top
Corrine
administrator

Joined: 18 Jan 2001
Location: Upstate NY, USA

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 21:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueFrog is currently regional to western NYS, in A/C's 315, 585, 607 & 716. I learned about BlueFrog here at Freedomlist and have been with them since they were a FISP. In November 2000, they went to $25/year, followed by $25/6 months last November and just raised the rates to $24.95/5 months.

I'm paid up through March 2003. So, all total, I've paid $69.95 for 2 1/2 year internet service. That includes a $5 deduction for a referral. (If someone mentions a member's name when they sign up, the member gets $5 off their bill.) icon_up.gif BlueFrog icon_exclaim.gif
_________________
Back to top
plodr

Joined: 12 Apr 2001

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 11:11 am    Post subject: cheap ISPs Reply with quote

Hang around here and you will find true bargains. I signed up for access4cheap when they were running a special and ended up paying $24.75 for 6 months (yup that's less than $4.13 per month).
I also had Stowetel @ $5/month.
I've signed several friends up with Poetworld at $7.50/month.
teddeebur, $6.95 a month is good but there are lower rates and you don't have to jump thru any hoops to get them. For 10 hours a month free 4 ever, sign up for access4free - a one time fee of $4.95 (I use that as a backup).
Eventually you will find that quite a few of us here are good at pinching pennies. (I'm cheap and not afraid to admit it).
Back to top
Display posts from previous:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    freedomlist.com Forum Index -> $10 & under ISP's All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

*freedomlist.com assumes no responsibility for any postings