Filamer Christian College began in a small unpretentious way as a home for orphans and poor children.
In August 1904, Rev. and Mrs. Joseph Robbins were entrusted with care of three little children. This situation of neglected homeless children touched their heart which led to the establishment of Capiz Home School, with the first building as a gift from the American Baptist Foreign Mission Society.
Miss Margaret Suman joined the work in 1905. The school, which was designed for girls, had 26 children at the beginning.
In 1908, after the construction of the new Baptist Home School building, it opened to admit boys. The school made progress and year 1920 was notable for its record in high enrollment of 80 pupils.
In 1949, the school raised to the high school standard. The Capiz Home School became a Filamer Christian Institute in 1952. The unusual name of "Filamer" is a combination of Filipino and American in establishing and running this joint venture in Christian education and cooperation.
In 1971, Filamer Christian Institute had a complete training up to the college level. Since then there was no stopping in the progress and expansion in term of its population, the increase number of professional courses offered, and acquisition of properties and new buildings.
It was in 1985 that Filamer Christian Institute became officially known as Filamer Christian College.
Associated with the early history of the school are such unforgettable missionaries as: the misses Celia Saenz, Margaret Summan, Freida Appel, Emma Necolet, Mabel Stumpf, Mayne Goldenburg, Irene Dolby, and Arcola Pettit. There is only one missionary in the person of Ms. Winnifred Stanford who has faithfully served the school since 1963. She served as the "spiritual fortress" of these halls for almost 36 years Ms. Stanford is now serving as baptist missionary at Minnesota, USA.
¦ TOP ¦