This face is guarding a now disused door into the North Aisle of Huntley Anglican church, St John the Baptist. This church is on a site where Christians have been worshipping for most of the last 2000 years. The tower was built about 1100 and the new church built in 1863 now needs the roof repaired, so the community has launched an appeal for funds.
According to the list of Rectors displayed in Huntley parish church, the first Rector was appointed on 20 April 1303. So we are holding 'Huntley 700' with celebrations and fund raising for the Restoration Appeal to continue all year.
The new St Johns was designed by Architect Samuel Sanders Teulon (1812 - 1873) and decorated by Thomas Earp - by 1861 he employed 21 men and 8 apprentices in his yard, now based in Kennington Road, London.
In 1862 at the International Exhibition, Earp the sculpter displayed a great deal of work for many architects including Street, Bentley and Teulon. Teulon exhibited the reredos and other pieces carved for the rebuilding of St John the Baptist, Huntley. Teulon regarded Earp as his 'favourite sculptor' and between them they prepared elaborately carved capitals, spandrels, statuary, altar pieces, font and pulpit. These in their final setting make the interior of St John's a breathtaking display.
|Our first view of the church, which was rebuilt from an ancient church, and re-opened in 1863.||Moving around to the left and getting a better view of the Tower with it's new (150 year old) spire.|
|The North and the East faces of the tower, which is the oldest part of the church, dating from approximately the 12th century. The spire was added by Teulon in 1863. The window tracery dates fron the 15th century.|
The window behind Roger now houses Victorian glass.
The memorial plaques were moved from the chancel area when the church was rebuilt.|
There are six bells, the oldest dating back to the 14th century. Bellringing is an ancient tradition, ably supported at St John's.
The font has coloured pillars to support the eight-sided bowl, which is decorated with angels bearing a most appropriate text. Each of the eight sides has its own decoration, including one with a pelican.|
The pillar capitals are all decorated with intricate designs of primroses, oak leaves, acorns, apples ferns and various flowers, all very familiar in the surrounding countryside
The pediment displays the emblems of the 4 Evangelists - the ox, the lion, the eagle and the human. This theme is repeated throughout the church.
The North Aisle has a memorial window to the Rev'd Capper's children, and another dedicated to his parents. The large West Window is designed by Teulon illustrating St John the Baptist.
High on the south wall are corbels supporting the roof, each decorated with an angel playing a musical instrument and illustrating the words of Psalm 150 - Let everything that has breath, Praise the Lord'
The church was designed to emphasise the value of preaching and listening to the written Word.|
The Entry Porch opens into the Nave where seating is arranged with four blocks of 8 benches, for about 120 parishioners.
|The Lectern is a carved alabaster and marble pillar, supported by two angels. The emblems of the Four Evangelists, then a brass eagle, support the Written Word. These photos concentrate on the Angels.|
|The sculpured Pulpit features St John the Baptist carrying a lamb and looking towards the congregation. The sides are decorated with colourful mosaics, and flying angels bear the text from the Collect for St John the Baptist's Day, 24 June.|
An English pipe organ|
Howard ready for the service
A view of the pipes, which are carefully decorated. This organ was constructed by Gray and Davison, and is surrounded by a framework of oak.
The reredos (panel behind the Communion Table) is carved in marble and alabaster. The centre piece is the scene of the Last Supper, the side pieces are scenes from the Nativity and the Resurrection. The whole is embellished with wheat, roses of Sharon, and lillies of the valley, finished with coloured mosaics and pillars.|
The East Window, above the Communion Table, was made by Lavers and Barraud featuring popular Biblical events.
|This elegant Catherine Wheel window from outside. It is high on the east wall in the Vestry.||Table Coffin|
|View||View of church and school|
|St Johns is an ancient church, which was rebuilt in the Victorian style, and re-opened in 1863, being inspired and financed by Revd Daniel Capper, the Incumbent. Brass plates, with latin texts bearing the Rev Capper's ancestry, are bolted to the altar steps|
If you enjoy this page, please Email me.|