|Welcome to LIDGATE, Suffolk|
|WHERE TO FIND US
Our village of something over 200 inhabitants is situated on the B 1063, seven miles from the famous horse racing town of Newmarket and twelve miles from historic Bury St.Edmunds.
Like many other villages we have lost most of our amenities -doctor, school, garage, post office, shops, a direct bus link to Bury, but we make up for it by a thriving parish council, hall committee, church and pub The village still warrants its ancient title: 'Happy Lidgate'
The village name is Anglo-Saxon in origin and means 'swing gate'. Either a gate for herding cattle or more probably a toll gate of some sort
We are a village of great historical interest and this site will mainly deal with this aspect.
|The VILLAGE SIGN shows important features of the village:
The Church set on the hill in a
Bailey of the Norman Castle.
The BAILEY POND that is the home for a variety of bird life, including the occasional heron and well stocked with fish.
The FIGURE OF A PRIEST in eucharistic vestments dating from 14th century, representing John de Lydgate based on brass in church. The brass more likely commemorates a former rector , perhaps the first. Walter Maunsel 1302
The FIELDS AND MEADOWS of this largely agricultural area.
A PLAQUE denoting Lidgate as winning the Best Kept Village competition in the locality in 1966 and 1972 is also attached.
|Site updated November 2003