The power plant building was constructed in 1917 and power units were installed. The two guns were first proof-fired on May 14, 1917. According to an official US Army history of the post written during World War 2, "The guns were dismounted and sent to France in December 1917 and returned and remounted on June 12, 1919". It is unknown if this an accurate statement, and additional research is required to confirm or deny this unusual movement of these coast artillery weapons.
The Report of Completed Works (RCW) dated April 19, 1923 states; "These 2 guns are covered" by "portable housing built by Eng. personnel. Emplacement of concrete block".
The battery was renamed Battery Fergusson in honor of the late Brigadier General Frank K. Fergusson USA, on December 1, 1939.
Battery 220 (never completed) was scheduled to replace Battery Fergusson.
What's left today?
No trace of Battery Fergusson exists today. Only some bits of broken concrete around the dunes of Bay 16 remain in this area. This concrete could also be the remains of the USLSS Station or other abandoned structures in this area.
Plan of "East Battery"
(Location is SE corner of Fort Tilden, Atlantic Ocean is at top of plan.)