|Fox Harbour, one of two incorporated towns in the Placentia area, is approximately 15 miles from the town of Placentia. Fox Harbour was incorporated in 1964, as a community council consisting of a chairperson, a vice-chairperson and three councillors. In 1997 under the Municipalities Act the Community Council became a Town Council with a mayor, deputy-mayor and three councillors.
Fox Harbour, according to oral history had its beginnings possibly as early as the late 1700's to early 1800's. Its early inhabitants bore the name Spurrier (Sporier or Spurvey), today known as Spurvey. These early Spurveys made their way to Newfoundland and eventually to Fox Harbour from England. Other early inhabitants with names such as Healey, Kelly and Dreaddy came here from Ireland.
Since these early inhabitants were fishermen, in pursuit of codfish, Fox Harbour, then, owes its beginning to the cod fishery.
The origin of the name Fox Harbour is unclear. One theory suggests the name may have come from the many foxes in the area. Other sources claim that the original name of Fox Harbour was Little Glocester (sic) by American traders from New England (Fox Harbour Memories - A History of Fox Harbour from Memories of its people.)