USCGC Taney (WHEC-37)
The Coast Guard cutter Taney has had a long and distinguished career. Built by the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard as one of seven Treasury class ships, she was comissioned on October 24, 1936. She served in the Pacific during her early years, including being present at the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. During the first part of the war, she served as a patrol and intelligence ship out of Pearl Harbor. Transferring to the Atlantic in 1944, the Taney served as a convoy escort. Back in the Pacific in 1945, she participated in the Okinawa campaign.
After the war ended, Taney served as a weather ship in both the Pacific and Atlantic, and served as a Coast Guard training vessel for the Coast Guard Academy. During the Korean War, she served as a search and rescue ship for downed airmen, as well as her duties as communications and weather ship. Serving again in the Vietnam War, Taney participated in Operation Market Time, inspecting vessels and providing shore bombardment. During her final service years, Taney acted in the anti-drug role in the Carribean.
After 50 years of service, she was decomissioned on December 7, 1986, the last active ship that was at Pearl Harbor during the Japanese attack. In 1988 Taney was designated a National Historic Landmark. Now open to the public in Baltimore, she is an important part of the Baltimore Maritime Museum, which includes the USS Torsk (SS-423) and the lightship Chesapeake.
Length: 327 feet
Width: 41 feet
Displacement: 2700 tons
Propulsion: 2 oil fired steam boilers, 2 steam turbines, 6200 hp
Propellers: 2 3-blade
Max Speed: 20 knots