German-Austrian Folk Dance Association
The German-Austrian Folk Dance Association is a gathering of folk dance groups primarily from the central and eastern United States who meet to share German and Austrian folk dances. We hold a biennial weekend Tanz Treffen for this purpose.
Announcing the next Tanz Treffen on 14-15 May 2004
Hosted by GTEV D´Lustigen Isartaler Bavarian Club
Teutonia Männerchor Club House, Pittsburgh, PA
Contact: Béla Pater, Vorplattler, at 412.725.3562 or via email at BelaPater@aol.com
Invitation | Registration Form | Stiftungsfest (WORD Documents)
Invitation for 2004
Grüß euch Gott, liebe Volkstanzfreunde!
This is an invitation for you to attend our
6th Biennial Tanztreffen - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Friday and Saturday, May 14th & 15th, 2004
Registration Fee: $10/person - includes dance instructions/music cassette
Registration Deadline: Friday, May 7, 2004
This weekend event of Volkstänze und Ländlern will take place at the Teutonia Männerchor Club House, 857 Phineas Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15212 (map and directions) and is being hosted by the G.T.E.V. D´Lustigen Isartaler Bavarian Club. Food/beverages are not included in the registration fee. Snacks/sandwiches will be available to purchase on Friday night and a luncheon buffet and then a dinner available on Saturday for purchase. Menu and complete details will be sent upon your registration confirmation. For lists of past dance instructors and dance repertoire, please check on the GAFDA website: http://www.oocities.com/gafda
This year's Tanztreffen will be similar to the previous years. Friday evening, beginning at 7 o'clock there will be the registration of participants, "Happy Hour," an informal dance session and Gemütlichkeit, getting acquainted with each other; it will go until bar closes. On Saturday morning, beginning at 9 o’clock & after lunch there will be dance sessions. In conjunction with the D´Lustigen Isartaler 29. Stiftungsfest (29th Anniversary), a Festabend (evening fest) will be celebrated in the evening with a full dinner, German band and Ehrentänze (formal dance performances). Participants of the Tanztreffen are most welcome and invited to attend the Festabend. Some new dances learned at the Tanztreffen will be performed during the Festabend. Festabend tickets are $8.
Please use the Registration Form for your registration. Maps and driving directions can be sent to you upon request; just indicate your request on your registration form. (We suggest to check out Mapquest.com where you will be asked to enter the street address for which you would like directions.)
The Teutonia Männerchor is located in historic Pittsburgh´s North side, also known as "Deutschtown", which is just cross the many bridges from downtown Pittsburgh. (map and directions)
For hotel accommodations, we recommend:
Ramada Plaza Suites* -- 1 Bigelow Sq. -- 412-281-5800 -- $89 / $109 Suite
Omni William Penn* -- 530 Wm Penn Pl. -- 412-281-7100 -- $117
The Priory**, N. Side -- 614 Presley St. -- 412-231-3338 -- $95
Westin Convention Center -- Penn Avenue -- 412-281-3700 -- $145
Hilton Downtown Pittsburgh -- Gateway Center -- 412-391-4600 -- $119-$144
Holiday Inn, N. Hills -- 4859 McKnight Rd. -- 412-366-5200 -- $89
* These are the 2 official hotels of the 2004 Tanztreffen! We have rooms (and suites at Ramada) booked here for a special group rate. Be sure to mention “2004 Tanztreffen” when booking a room to receive the special daily rate. Book your reservation by April 21st to receive this special group rate.
**The Priory is owned by a Teutonia member, mention the 2004 Tanztreffen for a $95 special rate. The Priory is a couple of blocks away from Teutonia, but has only a limited number of rooms available. It used to be a German Catholic church and priory (home of Benedictine monks) and now is a beautiful Inn.
If you desire alternate accommodations or more hotel listings, please contact the host.
Contact for GAFDA Tanz Treffen 2004: BelaPater@aol.com
Planning | Program | Accommodations | Directions | Registration
Previous Tanz Treffen have been held in Pittsburgh (1994), Dayton (1996), Baltimore (1998), Cleveland (2000), and Lancaster (2002). The 2004 Tanz Treffen has been planned and is described here at his web site.
The individuals and dance groups involved in the planning of the various GAFDA Tanz Treffen are the following:
- Doris Blouin, e-mail: email@example.com. Address: Doris Blouin, GAFDA Coordinator 2002, 13 George Circle, Mechanicsburg, PA 17055. Phone 717-697-8455.
- Lois Lynch, 1828 Pinecrest Dr., Dayton, OH 45414-5320; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Morry Gelman, GTEV Immergrün, 13017 Jordan's Endeavor Drive, Bowie, MD 20720, tel. 301-805-6816.
- Michael Gelman, Vorplattler, GTEV Immergrün, email@example.com.
- Gottscheer Tanz und Spielkreis, Margit Grajzl, President, 12915 Rock Haven Rd, Chardon, OH 44024; tel. 440-285-9442; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ; Hilde Kobetitsch, Secretary; Email: Hbrunhilde@aol.com
- Herbert & Carol Traxler, Leaders, Alpine Dancers, 5817 Runford Drive, New Carrollton, MD 20784-2976, tel. 301-577-3503, Email: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Béla Pater, Vorplattler, G.T.V. D'Lustigen Isartaler Bavarian Club, Pittsburgh, Email: BelaPater@aol.com
- Jackie & Bill Dorfner, Pittsburgh, Email: email@example.com
AccommodationsInformation is made available by the host. Attendees make their own hotel reservations; suggestions for 2004 are provided above in the invitation letter.
DirectionsTeutonia Männerchor is located at 857 Phinieas Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15212 . 412-231-9141. Map and Directions
RegistrationDownload Registration Form or request a registration form from host. Registration fee ($10) and Saturday Fest ($8) are to be paid in advance. Meals may be purchased on-site in Pittsburgh.
Other sites of interest2002 GAFDA Tanz Treffen
2000 GAFDA Tanz Treffen
1998 GAFDA Tanz Treffen
Videotapes of the GAFDA Tanz Treffen in 2000 (Cleveland), 1998 (Baltimore), and 1996 (Dayton).
Washington Area Cultural Events | Washington Area Cultural Organizations
Webmaster: Carol Traxler
Last update: March 8, 2004