Rules for Using MLE1 Personas and Cards
1) All MLE1, MLE2, and MLE3 cards are legal...sort of (see below). Of the
current MLE promo cards, only Alertness and Holy Ground are legal. You can
submit any MLE personas. Any reference to "MLE" within these rules refers
only to WJ-permissible MLE sets. MLE4, Dark Duncan, Ramirez Collection,
Michael Moore/Quentin Barnes, Morgan D'Estaing, and all other promos, are not
2) You can only play and challenge people of the same "rank" as
yourself (i.e., Normal, MLE, any new future ranks). If you wish
to challenge someone of a higher rank, you must request to be
upgraded to that "rank."
3) If you are playing a non-MLE personas, it is assumed you do not want
to play with or against MLE cards, unless you tell me otherwise. You will
be listed as a "Rank 1" Persona in this case.
4) You cannot accept challenges from persons of a higher rank. If you wish to
accept challenges from a higher rank, see #6 above.
5) You cannot play with cards of a particular expansion unless you indicate
you are willing to accept challenges from people using cards from that
expansion. Using MLE cards without notifying the Watcher and having
your MLE rank/status indicated is a violation of the rules.
6) You can choose to enter a higher rank even if you aren't using cards from
that rank. That is the only way to fight someone of that higher rank.
7) MLE1 Ramirez (if used as a non-Persona pregame) and Ahriman are not
Personas - you do not have to indicate you are using them as part of
your "Persona" (i.e., Luther/Ahriman) on the WJ page. You do have to
indicate if you are using them as a pre-game, as normal. However,
Nemesis cards are still not permitted in WJ games. Use of Ahriman will
only permit you to use other Ahriman cards.
8) If you choose to play Darius or a Faction card such as "Four Horsemen",
you need only list "Darius" or "Four Horsemen" as your Persona name for
the WJ listing. You do not need to reveal which Personas you are using
until you make or accept a challenge, as per the normal pre-game
announcement rules. You may switch your two selected pre-game Personas
like any other pre-game card, between games.
9) Anyone willing to play at a particular rank is expected to be conversant
with cards of that rank. Please do not slow down games by asking your opponent
for what certain cards do, or what certain rules are. Spoiler lists
and rules for the MLE set are available at the MLE website(s).
10) Any MLE rules issues should be sent to the Watcher (email@example.com).
As necessary, the MLE Team will be consulted to resolve issue the
Watcher cannot answer based on his own experience with the set and
with the official rules and Addendum. This may result in delay of game:
if so, be patient, or agree to continue with the game based on whatever
temporary ruling you can come up with, or that the Watcher provides.
11) The following MLE cards are banned from WJ play: Sanctuary (Location)
(as per the normal WJ rules against "end the game/save your head" cards);
Seduce/Faith, Posse Member/Faith, and Inside Information (same reason as
Scrye - inability to effectively look through your opponent's Endurance
in an on-line game and subsequently keep it in order). Stalk/Kenny
is legal, since it only involves tracking 7 cards.
12) Graham Ashe's Back Away is allowed.
13) At this time, the only legal Ramirez card at this time is the Ramirez
Persona found in MLE1. All other Ramirez cards that are not published
by TCG are currently illegal.
15) All other WJ rules apply normally.
16) The text for the promotional MLE Alertnesses is: "Edge - 3 - If you do
not play a Special card, you may play this card if your opponent played
a non-Ranged attack or Combat Trick that is undodgeable [unblockable].
You may play a dodge [block] against this offensive card as normal."
17) The text for the promotional MLE Holy Ground is: "Event - 3 - You may
play this event during your Defense Phase. You avoid all attacks and
Combat Tricks this turn. Each player must draw three cards then discard
three cards at random. Your Defense Phase ends and skip your Attack
Phase this turn."
18) The text for the MLE Holy Ground has been errata'd so that it is removed
from the game after it is played/activated.
19) If you are using certain Unexpected cards from MLE1 in your deck, and
you draw them on your first turn and as are going first, be advised
that your opponent draws simultaneously and may have Unexpected cards
of the same type that nullify them before they go into effect. If you
draw any of the following Unexpected cards in your opening hand, check
with your opponent before activating them during draw/discard: Forced
Back (Sit), Explosion, Fall Back, Holy Ground, Lost the Edge, Unforseen
Plot Device, Unplanned Situation itself, Where Are We? (Event),
20) There is only a single pool of Qs shared across all ranks.
Watcher Journal Main Page