benefits of therapeutic massage on the respiratory system:
- Normalizes breathing through a balancing effect on the Autonomic Nervous System;
- Encourages deeper breathing and a more complete breath through the relaxing effect of massage;
- Can loosen the intercostal muscles (the muscles between the ribs) and free the rib cage to allow greater chest expansion, thereby deeper breathing and therby more oxygen to all cells;
- Can release congestion and aid in lowering blood pressure;
- Generates heat to raise body temperature and respiratory rate;
- Stimulates proprioceptors in the joints and increases respiration through range of motion in an inactive person.
Benefits of therapeutic massage on other systems of the body: