Some scenes of Gettysburg
The Gatehouse of
Evergreen Cemetery [LEFT]
Lutheran Seminary [RIGHT]

The 42nd. Virginia Infantry Regiment organized at Lynchburg in June-July 1861. Ten companies formed from seven counties in the south central and southwestern part of the state.
Companies and Location are listed at bottom of page. 

You are VisitorSince Dec.1997

To view a map of the positions of the 24th. and 42nd. at Gettysburg CLICK HERE.After viewing just hit back button on your browser to return here.

Below is the story of their action at Gettysburg.

On July 1st.,after a march of 25 miles,the brigade reached Gettysburg late in the afternoon, moved along the Gettysburg and Hanover railroad to a point northeast of the town near the junction of the York turnpike and the Hanover Road, and turned south for a short distance. In a ravine in an open field,about one-half mile northeast of the Benner House, protected by the hill of the same name, the brigade and divison deployed into line of battle about twilight. As soon as the line was formed, Jones put pickets well toward the front.A patrol from the 42nd, sent out by Gen. Johnson, reached nearly to the summit of Culp's Hill. But on the east slopes of that hill, in the dark, the "unsuspecting squad of scouts" encountered a patrol from the 7th Indiana, and some of the 42ned men were captured.( The roster does not indicate any men captured on July 1.) The remaining patrol members returned to the 42nd and, with the regiment,slept on thier arms. Not until 4P.M. of the next day (July 2) did the brigade move foward, deploying to support Latimer's Artillery battalion which was firing from Benner's Hill. The 42nd halted near Dr. Lady's stone house, about 300 yards form the artillery position, and remained there "about two hours." As Latimer's duel with Union batteries ended, the brigade moved to the top of Benner's Hill, and then advanced with the division "in a splendid line" to assault Culp's Hill. Halting temporarily at Rock Creek to reform its lines,the brigade surged up the rugged,wooded slopes in the dark. The 42nd,which had suffered some casualties at the creek from artillery, moved seventy-five yards from the creek and opened fire on the enemy.For an hour the regiment kept "loading and firing and pressing up the hill." The darkness,rugged terrain,and enemy fire disorganized the regiment. Most of the 42nd got within 30 paces of the enemy's breastworks. Some of the men pushed nearer. Lt. Col. Withers was wounded. Capt. Saunders assumed regimental command. Brigade command devolved upon Lt. Col. Dungan of the 48th Virginia afer the wounding of Brig. Gen. Jones. The intense enemy fire, coming as it was from strong breastworks,could not be overcome. Dungan ordered the brigade backdown the hill. The 42nd fell back slowly "about half-way down the hill," and then back across Rock Creek. There the brigade reformed and advanced again across the creek about 50 yards and halted for the night. The official report of the 42nd's casualties reflected the intensity of the day's fight:8 killed and 48 wounded. (The offical report for the regiment claims that all the regiment's casualties occoured on July 2. The roster indicates that there were also casualties on July 3.)On the morning of July 3, as the remainder of the division renewed the assault on Culp's Hill, Dungan's Brigade skirmished heavily all day with the enemy to its front, but made no serious attempt to advance. About 10 p.m. , the brigade withdrew with the division to Seminary Ridge, west of Gettysburg. On the 4th, Col. Bradley T. Johnson took command of the brigade. About 10 p.m. he led the brigade away from Gettysburg toward Fairfield, staying on the move until daylight July 5. After repulsing a cavalry attack on the brigade's flank soon after daylight, Johnson halted again to camp for the night a mile and a half west of Fairfield. Still at Gettysburg were the 42nd's casualties ( as indicated by the roster ): 16 killed or mortally wounded,43 wounded,12 captured. Sixteen wounded had to be left in hospitals on the battefield and were captured on July 4. Another 19 wounded, as well as two of the regiment's wagons, were captured on July 4 and 5 by Union cavalry who raided the army's ambulance trains.
[The above text is taken from 42nd Virginia Infantry Regimental Series -H.E.Howard Pub.- John Chapla- 3rd edition.]

Sign it Private:
Thats an order!

Company A—Henry volunteers. Henry County. Enlisted June 15, 1861 at Lynchburg, Campbell County.
Company B—Floyd Guards Enlisted May 25, 1861 at Floyd Court House, Floyd County. Assigned to regiment on June 15, 1861.
Company C—Buford Grays. Enlisted May 18, 1861 at Lisbon, Bedford County. Assigned to regiment on June 22, 1861.
Company D—Campbell-Lee Guards. Enlisted May 31,1861 at Yellow Branch, Campbell County. Assigned to regiment on June 27, 1861.
Company E—Dixie Grays. Enlisted June 4, 1861 at Salem, Roanoke County. Assigned to regiment July 1, 1861.
Company F—Leatherwood Fencibles. Enlisted June 22,1861 at Martinsville, Henry County.
Company G—Second Company of volunteers from Henry County. Enlisted July 3, 1861 at Lynchburg, Campbell County.
Company H—Patrick Henry volunteers. Enlisted May 22, 1861 at Spoon Creek, Patrick County. Assigned to regiment on July 5, 1861.
Company I—Campbell Guards. Campbell County. Enlisted July 11, 1861 at Lynchburg, Campbell County.
Company K—Franklin Invincibles. Enlisted June 17, 1861 at Rocky Mount, Franklin County.
These companies remained with the regiment throughout its service and no companies were added to or deleted from the original ten.  

Some of the battles the 42nd was involved in were:

resources: 42nd. Virginia Infantry-H.E.Howard,Inc.-John D. Chapla 3rd. Edition



This page hosted by GeoCitiesGet your own Free Home Page