- The 1840 Grayson County, Virginia Census states he was between 30 and 40 years old.
- The 1850 Grayson County, Virginia Census states he was 45 years old.
- The 1860 Grayson County, Virginia Census states he was 56 years old.
- The 1850 Grayson County, Virginia Census states William was born in Virginia.
- The 1860 Grayson County, Virginia Census states William was born in North Carolina.
- The 1880 Grayson County, Virginia Census states Elizabeth Lovelace's father was born in North Carolina.
- The 1880 Grayson County, Virginia Census states A. Jackson Grubb's father was born in North Carolina.
- The 1880 Grayson County, Virginia Census states Sallie Hoffman's father was born in Virginia.
- The 1880 Grayson County, Virginia Census states Sarah E. Greer's father was born in South Carolina.
- The 1880 Ashe County, N.C. Census states Almeda Pennington's father was born in North Carolina.
- The 1880 Grayson County, Virginia Census states Frank Grubb's father was born in Virginia.
- Does anyone have the 1880 census for Mattie Vaught? She was living in Allegany Co., N.C. in 1880.
- William was listed in the 1860 census but not in the 1870 census.
- William wrote his will in October of 1865. According to a Balance Due Estate paper, he died on January 30, 1866.
- He was probably at home on his farm in Grayson County, Virginia when he wrote his will and later passed away.
- His great granddaughter stated he was buried in a cemetery on the farm. The Tiger mapping service lists two Grubb Cemeteries in Grayson County. One is near Troutdale and the other is on Middle Fox Creek. Carl Pendergrass identified the one near Troutdale as being his. The other one on Middle Fox Creek is near Grubb Chapel and is where Jacob Grubb (b-1790) lived.
-'There is a cemetary called Grubb/Young Cemetery in Grant, Va. It's at a beautiful site on top of a hill, surrounded by mountains and a lake...James Grubb is caretaker of this cemetery. We have a fund set up to assist him in doing this.' (from Crystal Zimmerman in February 2000).
Marriage to Catherine Colton:
- There is a record of a William Grubb marrying Catherine Colton on February 26, 1829. However this does not appear to be the same William Grubb. There is more information on the page that has the descendants of Henry Grubb.
Marriage to Rosamond Grubb:
- William Grubb married Rosamond "Rosanah" West on January 8, 1834 in Smyth Co, Va.
- Rosamond (Rosannah) shows up in the 1850 and 1860 Grayson County, Virginia census reports.
- Rosanah is listed as his wife in his will.
William Grubb's parents are still being researched. It has been thought for many years that they were probably from the family of Grubbs who lived in Wythe County, Virginia. After much concerted effort however, there appears to be very little indication that this is true. It was only just recently realized that the most commonly mentioned birthplace for William in the census reports is North Carolina. So the research is slowly turning in that direction. The most likely possibilities are those who are closest to Grayson County in the 1810 census. This list is:
Grubb, C. Ashe 007
Grub, Geroge Rowa 083
Grubb, Conrad Rowa 079
Grubb, John Rowa 079
Grubs, William Stok 127
There is a Wm. H. Grubb who married Jane Smith on September 16, 1823 in Washington County, Virginia. There is a Grubb family mentioned there in the census indexes but no further information is known.
3) Are there other possibilities?
William J. Grubb
William Grubb Rosamond (Rosannah) West Married Jan. 08, 1834 Children: 1834 Elizabeth "Betsy" Lovelace 1837 Mitchell ...................(Killed in action) 1838 Andrew Jackson 1841 Mary Ann 1843 Sarah (Sallie) 1845 Sedela 1847 Susanna 1850 Rosamond ................. (not proven) 1851 Almeda Pennington 1853 Franklin (Frank) 1856 Martha Jane (Mattie) 1860 Virginia...................... (not proven) -information from Crystal Zimmerman in February 2000. Ashe County: Marriage license issued to William (Trubb) and Rosannah West, Jan. 8, 1834. Obviously a mis=spell for Grubb. I didn't know if you have this info. -from Crystal Zimmerman in March 2000.
Descendants of William J. Grubb 1 William J. Grubb b: 1804 in N.C. d: 1865 in Grayson Co, Va. Fact 1: Farmer. Land valued at $3000 in 1850, $6000 in 1860. Fact 2: Census records list place of birth as both N.C. & Va. +Catherine Colton m: 26 February 1829 *2nd Wife of William J. Grubb: +Rosamond "Rosanah" West b: 19 February 1816 in Washington Co, Va. m: 08 January 1834 in Smyth Co, Va. 2 Elizabeth "Betsy" Grubb b: Abt. 1836 in Grayson Co, Va. +Jeremiah E. "Jerry" Lovelace II b: Abt. 1827 in Tenn. m: 07 February 1852 in Grayson Co, Va. Fact 1: 29 May 1861 Enlisted in Wytheville & served in Co. C, 45th Va. Infantry. Fact 2: 05 June 1864 Captured at Piedmont . Sent to Camp Morton. Fact 3: 26 February 1865 Enchanged. 2Mitchell Grubb b: 1837 in Va. d: 10 February 1862 in Fort Donelson Cause of death: Killed in action. Fact 1: 04 June 1861 Enlisted at Forks of Wilson Creek & served in Co. D, 50th Va. Infantry, CSA. 2 Andrew Jackson Grubb b: 17 September 1838 in Grayson Co, Va. d: 02 January 1915 in Grant, Grayson Co, Va. Fact 1: Farmer Fact 2: 29 May 1861 Enlisted in Wytheville & served Co C, 45th Va Infantry, CSA. Fact 3: 12 July 1861 Sick. Fact 4: 1862 Was a butcher by trade +Martha Elvira Boyer b: 11 March 1843 in Grant, Grayson Co, Va. m: 28 November 1866 in Grayson Co, Va. d: 01 March 1926 in Demorest, Habersham Co, Ga. Cause of death: Flu. Fact 1: Buried in Grant, Va. in the old family cemetery on the Grubb Place. 2 Mary Ann Grubb b: Abt. 1841 in Grayson Co, Va. 2 Sarah "Sallie" Grubb b: 01 May 1843 in Va. d: 06 June 1924 +Charles H. Hoffman, Dr. b: 03 October 1822 in Germany m: 12 May 1867 in Sugar Grove, Va. d: 01 March 1898 in Va. Fact 1: Bef. 1867 Came to the U. S. as a stowaway on a ship. Fact 2: Physican from the University of Berlin. 2 Sedelia Grubb b: Abt. 1845 in Grayson Co, Va. +Andrew Jackson Greear b: 27 May 1843 in Grayson Co, Va. m: 20 December 1865 in Ashe Co, N.C. Fact 1: 27 July 1861 Enlisted in Grayson Co. & served in Co. C, 8th Va. Infantry CSA. Fact 2: 27 April 1862 Reenlisted at Crump's Bottom, W.Va. Fact 3: 20 September 1864 Deserted. Fact 4: Served as an escort to General William Wing Loring. 2 Susannah Grubb b: May 1847 in Grayson Co, Va. d: 23 September 1858 in Grant, Grayson Co, Va. Cause of death: Scarlet Fever 2 Rosamond Grubb b: Abt. January 1850 in Grayson Co, Va. 2 Almeda Grubb b: Abt. 1851 in Va. +Cicero Pennington 2 Franklin "Frank" Grubb b: 17 December 1853 in Grayson Co, Va. d: 06 February 1934 Fact 1: Farmer +Mary E. McCarroll b: Abt. 1856 in Va. m: Abt. 1877 2 Martha Jane "Mattie" Grubb b: 22 April 1856 in Grayson Co, Va. d: 17 September 1938 in Grant, Grayson Co, Va. Fact 1: Postmistress at Grant, Va. +Alfred Jacob "Jake" Vaught b: 30 January 1848 in Grayson Co, Va. m: 26 February 1871 in Alleghany, N.C. d: 20 October 1920 in Grant, Grayson Co, Va. Cause of death: Dropsy Fact 1: Farmer Fact 2: Lived at Crumpler, N.C. before moving to Grant. Fact 3: Born near Piney Creek, N.C. 2 Virginia C. Grubb b: 1860 in Va. -from Harold Haga in February 2000.
1840 Grayson County Census (Western) William Grubb 201001 10001
1850 Grayson County, Census William Grubb 45 M Va (household 565 on Sept. 13, 1850) Rosannah 35 F Va Elizabeth 14 F Va Mitchell 12 M Va Jackson 11 M Va Mary Ann 9 F Va Sarah 7 F Va Sadelia 5 F Va Susannah 3 F VA Rosamond 6/12 F Va (Harold Haga also states William owned land valued at $3,000)
1860 Grayson County, Census William Grubb 56 M NC Farmer (household 883) Rosamond 46 F Va Mitchel 22 M Va Jackson 21 M Va Mary A. 19 F Va Sarah 16 F Va Sedela 14 F Va Almede 9 F Va Franklin 6 M Va Martha 4 F Va (Harold Haga also states William owned land valued at $6,000)
1870 Grayson County, Census Andrew J. Grubb 31 m Va 4000 1568 house # 432 Martha E. 27 f Va Virginia 2 f Va Charles M 1 m Va Sarah J. 3/12 f Va Franklin 16 m Va Martha J. 14 f Va Virginia C 9 f Va Rosanah 52 f Va
(c) 2000, Jeff Carter