Have you ever watched a cat or dog give
birth quietly, efficiently, and in peace?
There is a growing movement among dissatisfied consumers who have been manipulated, lied to, and coerced into the medical model of Obstetrics, to take back childbirth as it was meant to be. They are the couples who do the research and decide to birth unassisted. They choose to have their children without medical assistance and, since childbirth is not a medical event, are having great success. They are finding joy and peace during the growing of their families, and some medical and social authorities are having a difficult time accepting it.The hospital hierarchy also doesn't like the loss in income from medically managed birth.
historically has never been a man's world, until the early 1800's when forceps were introduced. When
man figured out how to get into the birthing room,it spelled disaster for the traditional midwife,
who had helped women for centuries. Once one intervention was invented, there came others, in the
name of helping women through what was then an unknown and treacherous land. Since the turn of the
century, however, when male doctors decided there was money to be made in the medicalizing of
childbirth,Women have been stripped, first of their identity and their clothes, then their
confidence in the female body to fulfil a natural function for which it was created.Well meaning
people(and in some cases, mercenary) decided to do the pregnant woman's thinking for her, and told
her to leave it all to them-The hospital staff would see to it that she would not "suffer". I wonder
how many nurses working with these women had decided that childbirth was so awful that they never
wanted children and would do anything to get rid of one if they did get pregnant?The sad part of the
whole obstetrical parade is that 80% of it is totally unnecessary. If a woman wants to, she can
educate herself and have her baby at home,unassisted,or helped only by her husband. It is her
choice, and for a well prepared couple,it can be a most enriching experience.
Here is a lady in labor, giving birth to her own baby.
The work of labor is just that, work: but can also be pleasurable.(Read "The Power of Pleasurable Childbirth" by Laurie Annis Morgan.)
Some women have a huge orgasm as the baby is born!
As the baby is born,the mother relaxes her bottom to let the baby out,avoiding a tear or an episiotomy.
Then the mom gets acquainted with her newborn. No one needs to tell her what sex the baby is, and then she puts the baby to her breast, and waits to expel the placenta.
The Dutch have the best model for using midwives for normal birth, and having the birth take place at home, and if the mother needs it, she sees an OB.But she still does not get the medical torment that goes on in this country in the name of "Safety"...(It's really lawsuit prevention!) Europeans typically don't have the lawsuit rate we do, because birth still belongs to women and thier midwives.
Wanna know how many babies have died from complications from a cesarean operation?
Read "Silent Knife" and "Open Season" by Nancy Wainer (Cohen), and "Immaculate Deception" by Suzanne Arms.
From inductions, especially Cytotec? Read "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth" by Ina May Gaskin("Spiritual Midwifery" is not to be missed either...it is what got me started on this path).Another "must-read" for the moms and grandmas is "A Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth" and "Obstetrical Myths and Research Realities" by Henci Goer. No one should have a baby without them!
Preparation is the key here, as in any endeavor. Read everything you can get your hands on, educate yourself to normality, and have a written birth plan and a back up plan. My Unassisted birth story
- Midwives Alliance of North America
- Unassisted Childbirth (this is the Unassisted Childbirth Forum I am on).
- BirthLove Site
- Laura Kaplan Shanley's Impeccable Unassisted Site, BornFree I have a video I bought from her showing her breech (footling) birth at home…it is awesome…
- Laborless Labors and Painless Births
- Laurie's Humble Home on the Web
- Head's Up! All about Breech Babies
- Mango Mama's Website(the information is priceless)
- Mango Mama's website.
- Attachment Parenting
- Unhindered Birth Site
- Virginia Birthing Freedom
- Active Birth Centre(a UK site)
- Home Birth Statistics
- Unassisted Birth Links
- Natural Parenting Site
- Birth In Love
- Aspiring Midwife Farm(My site)
- Naturally Attached
- Mother-Friendly Childbirth Initiative
- Birth Alliance
- Birthing the Easy Way(there is also a book by the same name by the same author)
- Heads Up! The Breech Baby website
- Compleat Mother
- Labor of Love website
On the Unassisted Birth Site there are many more links you might want to explore. (Here is a small sampling of my Library)…
- Spiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin
- Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin
- Special Delivery ……..Rahima Baldwin
- Having Twins…………..Elizabeth Noble
- The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding……..La Leche League
- Obstetric Myths Vs Research Realities…..Henci Goer
- Active Birth…………………Janet Balaskas
- Birthing from Within ……………England and Horowitz
- Immaculate Deception(both older and new editions) Suzanne Arms
- A Thinking Woman’s Guide to a Better Birth Henci Goer.
A Clear road to Birth
Giving Birth, Challenges and Choices
Vertex Twin Births at Home -this one is by The Farm, and I have several videos from them, they are GREAT!
So, you see, there is a great deal of information out there, that is readily accessible. Educate yourself and any who want to know more. Fear robs us of our greatest joys, don't let this be one of them!