Graham's Petersburg, Jackson's Kanawha, and Lurty's Roanoke Horse Artillery
by Robert H. Moore, II

(Published by H. E. Howard, Inc., 1996)
140 pages including maps, photographs, rosters, and bibliography
ISBN 1-56190-097-4

For pricing and availability contact:
H.E. Howard, Inc.
Rt. 2 Box 496H
Appomattox, Virginia 24522


About the Book:


Grahamís Petersburg Artillery

Organized before the Civil War under Captain Hugh Garland on April 25, 1843, this company had a rare antebellum history. Prior to the opening of the war, this battery was commanded by Captain Hugh Garland, and early on distinguished itself in military drill and professionalism. Immediately ordered to Charles Town, Virginia with other militia units, this company served as security during the trial of John Brown and was also present at the hangings. The company, upon its return to Petersburg, was organized with other Petersburg companies into the 4th Battn. Va. Vols. (militia) in December, 1860. Upon the opening of the war however, both armament and quality of training of the company were questioned. Enrolled April 19, 1861 into the service of the Confederacy, the battery left Petersburg with the 4th Battalion on April 20 and arrived in Norfolk where it was reassigned. Reorganized in May, 1862, the Petersburg Artillery served under Captain Edward Graham in eastern North Carolina and in the defense of the Weldon Railroad line. While an important assignment, it was nothing in comparison to the service assignments of other Virginia batteries and proved tedious duty. Redesignated as horse artillery, Graham's Battery served with General James Dearing's cavalry brigade and began to make up for missed opportunities. Assigned as a part of the Stuart Horse Artillery Battalion, the Petersburg Battery began to see a great deal of action. Perhaps best known for their arrival at Petersburg on June 9, 1864, the battery served with distinction at several engagements around Petersburg, including the "Beefsteak Raid", Ream's Station, Burgess Mill and Five Forks.


Jacksonís Kanawha Artillery

Organized originally as Captain John P. Hale's Kanawha Artillery, this company saw action at Scary Creek and Carnifex Ferry in 1861. The battery was captured in Ft. Donelson, Tennessee on February 16, 1862, having the rare distinction of serving in the west as a Virginia unit. However, the capture of the battery at Donelson also brought a close to the history of the company for over a year. As many of the men returned from the prisoner of war camps in the North, Captain Thomas E. Jackson, having held the captaincy of the battery before its demise, reformed the battery in May, 1863. Sometimes referred to as the Charlottesville or Kanawha Artillery after reorganization, the company gained several recruits from the Virginia Line and the 8th Virginia Cavalry. From Harrisonburg to Gettysburg and Droop Mountain in 1863, the company returned the following year to engage in the battles of New Market, Cold Harbor, Lynchburg, Monacacy, Georgetown, D.C., Cumberland, Md., and Moorefield among numerous other battles in the 1864 Shenandoah Valley Campaign. Losses were especially horrible in men captured at Moorefield and Fisher's Hill, leaving the battery with few numbers to continue service into 1865.


Lurtyís Roanoke Horse Artillery

Organized as Captain Warren S. Lurty's Company Va. Horse Artillery or the Roanoke Battery in October, 1863, this battery was composed of transfers from several other cavalry companies. Serving initially in the Lomax Horse Arty. Bttn., and later in Major James Thomson's Bttn. Horse Arty., the battery saw action at Droop Mountain and several other battles in the 1864 Shenandoah Valley Campaign. The battery was nearly annihilated by casualties and personnel captured, including Captain Lurty, on November 12, 1864 at Ninevah, near Front Royal, Virginia.


The battery was for a short time considered part of the Stuart Horse Artillery Battalion near the close of the war.

Back to books authored by Robert H. Moore, II



Contact Robert Moore: cenantua@yahoo.com

1