Virginia genealogy Simmons family Floyd County Slusher Bishop Cox Dickerson Palmer Parmer Reed Simpkins Vaughan Vaughn
Ancestors of John Posie Simmons of Floyd Co, VA
including the surnames: Bishop, Cox, Dickerson, Palmer or Parmer, Reed, Simmons, Simpkins, Slusher, and Vaughan.
John Posie Simmons and his great-grandaughter riding "Brooks" in the family garden, Botetourt County, Virginia, Summer 1971.
1. John Posie Simmons, (2/24/1896, Floyd Co, VA - 8/17/1982, Roanoke Co, VA), son of (#2) Homer Luther Simmons and (#3) Eliza Ellen Slusher. He m. Eliza Ellen Keith 7/21/1921 in Floyd Co, VA. They had four children. Bur: Pleasant Hill Cemetary, Floyd Co, VA.
2. Homer Luther Simmons, (12/30/1867, Floyd Co, VA - 11/14/1938, Floyd Co, VA), son of (#4)Charles L. Simmons and (#5) Lucy Bishop. 3. Eliza Ellen Slusher, (1/10/1870, Floyd Co, VA - 6/7/1929, Floyd Co, VA), daughter of (#6) Archelaus Slusher and (#7) Elizabeth E. Palmer. They m. 2/14/1887 in Floyd Co, VA. They had:
Charlie Thomas Simmons (11/26/1887, Floyd Co, VA - 1944) He m. Pearlie Glasko.
Elizabeth Ellen Simmons (5/29/1889, Floyd Co, VA - 4/1986, Lodi, CA) She m. Charles Kartes and lived in Lodi, CA. She died in April 1986 in Lodi, CA.
Anna May Simmons (8/19/1891, Floyd Co, VA - 1968, Monzulla, ND) She m1: ______; m2: Otto Brown and lived in Monzulla, North Dakota.
Lillian Catherine "Lillie" Simmons (5/17/1894, Floyd Co, VA - 5/8/1975, Montgomery Co, VA) She m. Tazewell Miller Sowers. Bur: Pleasant Hill Cemetery, Floyd Co, VA
John Posie Simmons (#1)
Recy Tillman Simmons (8/26/1898, Floyd Co, VA -10/15/1974, Glendive, Montana) He m1: Violet Celia Kubler 8/1/1923; m2: _____Wilson.
Ellis Monroe Simmons (3/7/1900, Floyd Co, VA - 3/1968, Floyd Co, VA) He m. Elizabeth Clyde Keith, daughter of Nathaniel Keith and Martha Frances Keith Keith 5/22/1918 in Floyd Co, VA. He died in March 1968 in Floyd Co, VA.
Roena Stella Simmons (8/22/1902, Floyd Co, VA - 1940, of tuberculosis)She m. Price Hylton in 1919. They had no children.
Dora Matoka Simmons (4/14/1904, Floyd Co, VA -10/22/1993, Montgomery Co, VA) She m. Albert Pendleton and lived in Elliston, VA.
Oden Eller Simmons (5/18/1906, Floyd Co, VA - ) He m. Brashy Bont on 7/26/1926 in Montgomery Co. He lived in Monon, Indiana.
Archie Ray Simmons (12/25/1908, Floyd Co, VA - 5/1994, Floyd Co, VA) He m. Willie Eva Simmons 3/11/1928 and lived in Floyd Co, VA.
Beulah Edna Simmons (2/17/1911, Floyd Co, VA - 4/7/1990 in Floyd Co, VA) She m. Herman Martin and lived in Willis, Floyd Co, VA.
Ruth Eliza Simmons (8/14/1914, Floyd Co, VA - 4/7/1990, Rocky Mount, VA) She m1: Eddie Sowers 10/3/1932; m2: ____Reid.
4. Charles L. Simmons, (10/19/1818, Montgomery Co, VA - 6/6/1886, Floyd Co, VA), son of (#8) Cary Simmons and (#9) Catherine Slusher. Bur: Simmons Cemetary, Floyd Co, VA 5. Lucy Bishop, (10/11/1822, Montgomery Co, VA - 6/3/1911, Floyd Co, VA), daughter of (#10) Dr. John Bishop, Jr. and (#11) Dicey Cox. Bur: Simmons Cemetary, Floyd Co, VA. They m. 6/24/1844 in Floyd Co, VA. They had:
Elkanah Simmons (6/30/1848, Floyd Co, VA - ) He became a doctor and moved to Indiana.
Margaret Catherine Simmons (10/25/1849, Floyd Co, VA - )
Mary Abigail Simmons (12/10/1852, VA - ) She m. Lanan Harman. He was born 9 May 1833 in Floyd Co, VA, the son of Benjamin Harman. Mary was Lanan's second wife.
John Bishop Simmons (12/30/1855, VA - 4/24/1941, Klickitat Co, WA) He m. Rebecca Ellen Spangler. They moved to Klickitat County, Washington, and had two children.
Nancy Eliza Simmons (9/1/1858, VA - ) She m. William Shelor, son of Thomas and Mary (Barnard) Shelor. He was born in 1850 in Floyd Co, VA.
Burdine Simmons (9/13/1861, VA - ) He went west, then came back and m. Judah Pratt, then they went west together.
Luvinna Simmons (6/6/1864 - ) She m. Greene Harris, son of Abraham Harris.
Homer Luther Simmons (#2)
Thomas Simmons (2/3/1873 -10/1887, age 14) Bur: Simmons Cemetary, Floyd Co, VA
6. Archelaus Slusher, (please see entry in Ancestors of Eliza Ellen Simmons.) 7. Elizabeth E. Palmer, (4/8/1843, Patrick Co, VA - 5/11/1880, Floyd Co, VA), daughter of (#14) Madison T. Palmer and (#15) Elizabeth Jane "Louisa" Vaughan. Bur: Harris Cemetary, Burks Fork, Floyd Co, VA. They m. 12/22/1866 in Floyd Co, VA. They had:
Mary Magdalene Slusher (5/11/1868, Floyd Co, VA - 6/26/1945) She m. William Harris in 1891.
Eliza Ellen Slusher (#3)
Nancy Elizabeth Slusher (1871, Floyd Co, VA - 12/22/1952) She m. George Washington Sowers.
Martha Ann Slusher (12/3/1872, Floyd Co, VA - 1/30/1873, age 2 months) Bur: Harris Cemetary, Floyd Co, VA
Charlotte Ann Margaret Slusher (1874, Floyd Co, VA - 1/14/1894) She m. Henry Harrison Hylton 4/3/1891.
Eden S. Slusher (11/23/1877, Floyd Co, VA - 11/24/1877, Floyd Co, VA, age 1 day)Bur: Harris Cemetary, Floyd Co, VA
She gave birth to a child 5/11/1880, which died before it was named. She also died in giving birth to this child. Both are buried in the Harris Cemetary, Floyd Co, VA
8. Cary Simmons, (4/11/1793, VA - 1/5/1868, Floyd Co, VA), son of (#16) Charles C. Simmons and (#17) Eleanor Weeks Bur: Obediah Simmons Cemetary. 9. Catherine Slusher, (7/26/1792, Shanadore/Shenandoah Co, PA - 12/13/1880, Floyd Co, VA), daughter of (#18) Christopher Schlosser/Slusher and (#19) Eve Hancock. They m. 1815 in Montgomery Co, VA. They had:
Eva Simmons (4/9/1816, Montgomery Co, VA - )
Barbara Elaner Simmons (She m. Jese Pratt in 1839 in Floyd Co, VA)
Charles L. Simmons (#4)
Lovanna Simmons (1/18/1826, Montgomery Co, VA - 12/8/1870) She m. John B. Weddle in 1846 in Floyd Co, VA.
Elizabeth Simmons (1828, Montgomery Co, VA -4/4/1903, Floyd Co, VA) She never married. Bur: Cary Simmons Cemetary, Floyd Co, VA.
Noah Simmons (1829, Montgomery Co, VA - 1901) He m. Eliza Phlegar 2/19/1857.
Obediah Simmons (8/15/1830, Montgomery Co, VA - 1/14/1899) He m. Eliza A. Wade in 1869.
Mary Ann Simmons (1/22/1832, Montgomery Co, VA -11/26/1897) She m. Joshua Weddle.
Catherine Margaret Simmons (1837, Montgomery Co, VA - ) She m. Dennis Hylton in 1858 in Floyd Co, VA
10. Dr. John Bishop, Jr., (1792, prob. Montgomery Co, VA - 1863, Floyd Co, VA), son of (#20) John Henry Bishop and (#21)Frances "Fanny" Simpkins. 11. Dicey Cox, , (7/10/1792, Montgomery Co, VA - 1875, prob. Floyd Co, VA), daughter of (#22) Ambrose N. Cox, Sr. and (#23) Sarah "Sally" Reed. They m. ca. 1812. They had:
Asa Bishop (1813 - ) He m. Elizabeth Dodd, d/o Benjamin Dodd 3/2/1843. He served in the Confederate Army.
Dr. Jacob Bishop (He m. Lucy Cox, and was a well-known physician in Floyd Co, VA)
Mary "Polly" Bishop (3/1/1820 - ) She m. John Harman.
William Bishop (He was robbed and killed by a Tom Jennings)
Isaac Bishop (He was killed by a falling tree at age 12)
Lucy Bishop (#5)
John Bishop, III. (1/1827 - 5/4/1865, Floyd Co, VA, of a gunshot wound). He m. Sarah Boad and lived in Floyd Co.
Nancy Bishop (She m. Thomas W. Williamson, s/o George Williamson
Margaret "Peggy" Bishop (She m. Sparrel Slusher, s/o David Slusher, and lived in Floyd Co)
Mahala "Sarah" Bishop (She m. John Wade 9/17/1883 and lived in Floyd Co, VA)
14. Madison T. Palmer, (4/1810, Patrick Co, VA - ca. 1905, Floyd Co, VA), ?son of Edward Parmer/Palmer and Charlotte Harris (under research). 15. Elizabeth Jane "Louisa" Vaughan, (1824, Patrick Co, VA - ca. 1895, Floyd Co, VA), ?daughter of Joseph Vaughan and Nancy Malinda Turner (under research). They m. 12/1/1843 in Patrick Co, VA. They had:
Elizabeth E. Palmer (#7)
Mary A. Palmer (1845, VA - )
Martha J. Palmer (1847, VA - )
Samuel J. Palmer (1851, VA - )
John T. Palmer (1853, VA - )
Sarah Magdalene Palmer (8/5/1855, VA - 11/2/1898.) She m. Jackson Maberry.
Jacob A. Palmer (1859, VA - )
George W. Palmer (1865, VA - )
Rufus Palmer (1867, VA - )
16. Charles C. Simmons, (1765, Bedford Co, VA - 1833, Floyd Co, VA) Came from Franklin Co, VA to Floyd Co, VA ca. 1772. He is reputed to have m1: Miss Reed. Bur: Simmons Cemetary, between Willis & Alum Ridge, Floyd Co, VA. 17. Eleanor Weeks, (1754, Halifax Co, VA - post 1830, Floyd Co, VA. She m1: ______Cummings, ca. 1775. They had:
Mary Cummings (ca. 1776 - ) She m. Joseph Payne.
Elizabeth "Betsy" Cummings (ca. 1777 - ) She m. John Willson 8/28/1797)
She m2: Charles C. Simmons 5/17/1785 in Henry Co, VA. They had:
Rhoda Simmons (ca. 1785 - ) She m. Uriah Basham 5/27/1804
Milley Simmons (ca.1786 - ) She m. Job Meador 9/29/1806.
Sarah Simmons (ca. 1787 - ) She m. John Ferrill 9/30/1807.
Rebecca Simmons (1787 - )She m. William Lester 1/10/1809.
William B. Simmons (1788 -1852) He m. Rhoda Lester 5/12/1812 in Montgomery Co, VA.
Cary Simmons (#8)
Thomas Weeks Simmons (1797 -1852). He m. Delila Booth in 1818.
Elinor Simmons (ca. 1799 - ) She m. Hulen Lester 6/3/1819.
18. Christopher Slusher, (10/15/1757, Lancaster Co, PA - 12/11/1845, Floyd Co, VA), son of (#36) Peter Schlosser and (#37) Maria Margaretha Wesenbach. He served as a solider in the American Revolution. He signed an Oath of Allegiance 9/27/1777 in Lancaster Co, PA (Deed Book L, 391, B, 2) 19. Eve Hancock, (ca. 1755 - ca. 1837, prob. Floyd Co, VA. They m. ca. 1776 in Lancaster Co, PA. They had:
Margaritha Schlosser (11/1/1776, Lebanon, Lancaster Co, PA - pre-1784 in Lebanon, Lancaster Co, PA). Baptized at First Reform Church in Lebanon, PA 11/30/1776.
Johann George Slusher (5/6/1778, Lebanon Township, Lancaster Co, PA - pre 1845, Page Co, VA) He m. Mary ____.
Christopher Huffstuffle Slusher, Jr. (6/14/1781, Bucks Co, PA -12/24/1853, Lexington, Lafayette Co., Missouri) He m1: Hannah Ann Meyers, 1801, Frederick Co, VA; m2: Susan Houx, 6/14/1838, Lafayette Co, MO; m3: Christina Nevins 8/18/1845, Lafayette Co, MO.
Peter Slusher (11/1784, Washington Co, MD - 3/1870, Floyd Co, VA). He m. Celia White 11/2/1812 in Montgomery Co, VA.
Elizabeth Slusher (1/14/1787, Washington Co, MD -11/11/1860, Floyd Co, VA. She m. Solomon Harman 3/6/1810 in Montgomery Co, VA.
Barbara Slusher (1/14/1789, Washington Co, MD - 6/2/1856, Carroll Co, VA) She m. Elijah Turman 8/4/1812 in Montgomery Co, VA.
David Slusher (9/6/1790, Washington Co, MD -4/6/1840, Floyd Co, VA) He m. Nancy Cox 4/6/1840 in Montgomery Co, VA.
Susan Catherine "Caty" Slusher (#9)
Harmon Slusher (ca. 1794, VA - )
Mary Slusher. (She m. Isaac Gilhan 6/6/1826 in Montgomery Co, VA)
Nancy Slusher (She m. David Phleger 6/2/1828 in Montgomery Co, VA)
Solomon Slusher (4/27/1796, VA - 6/2/1878, Floyd Co, VA) He m. Permilla "Milly" E. Reed 6/2/1816 in Montgomery Co, VA.
Jacob Slusher (9/2/1797, Frederick Co, VA - 10/31/1871, Floyd Co, VA) He m. Tabitha Matilda Hylton 11/3/1818 in Montgomery Co, VA.
Stephen Slusher (1800 - 12/10/1865, North Salem, Hendricks Co, IN) He was a soldier. He m. Charlotte Hylton 12/30/1824 in Montgomery Co, VA. (See her listing in The Ancestors of Eliza Ellen Keith)
Mary Ann Slusher (4/26/1803, Montgomery Co, VA - 7/7/1888, Floyd Co, VA) She m. Burwell Hilton 3/4/1823 in Mongtomery Co, VA
20. John Henry Bishop, (6/1757, Holland - 6/21/1839, Montgomery Co, VA) He m1: (unknown), pre-1777. He arrived in Floyd Co, VA in 1777 with his wife and four children. His wife later drowned while attempting to cross the New River on horseback. He m2: Frances Fanny Simpkins. He fathered:
Rev. Jacob Bishop (He m. Melvina Kiser, and was a Methodist minister)
Phemia Bishop. (She m. James Breeding)
Nancy Bishop (She m. Thomas James Finch 3/20/1823)
Margaret Bishop (She m. Alexander Cox)
Sarah Bishop (She m. John Moore 6/27/1806)
William Bishop (He died in the War of 1812 in Fort Strodard, Louisiana).
Mary Bishop (7/1791 - ) She m. Matthew Cox, Jr.
Dr. John Bishop Jr. (#__)
Rev. Henry Bishop (11/19/1796 - ) He m1: Nancy Quesenberry, 1820, Montgomery Co, VA; m2: Mahala Phlegar. He was a Methodist minister.
21. Frances "Fanny" Simpkins, (1768, Montgomery Co, VA - 5/29/1850, Floyd Co, VA), daughter of (#42) Daniel Simpkins. They m. 5/23/1785 in Montgomery Co, VA.
22. Ambrose N. Cox, (1772, Pittsylvania Co, VA - 3/10/1848, Beauford, Floyd Co, VA), son of (#44) Matthew Cox, Sr. and (#45) Lucy Dickerson. 23. Sarah "Sally" Reed, (1774, Franklin Co, VA - 9/26/1854, Floyd Co, VA), daughter of (#46) George Reed and (#47) Anna/Nancy Wigington. They m. 9/5/1790 in Montgomery Co, VA. They had:
Luke Cox (His birth date has been written as both 1791 and 3/23/1794. He died in 1862.)
Dicey Cox (#11)
Ambrose Cox, Jr. (1793 - )
Lucy Cox (1794 - ) She m. Tobias Phillips
Nancy Cox (twin) (1798 - )She m. Samuel Lester.
Mary "Polly" Cox (twin) (1798 - d. 5/3/1869 of a tumor) She m1: Randolph Phillips; m2: Henry Harrow.
Sarah Cox (8/4/1800 - ) She m. George Quesenberry.
Elizabeth "Eliza" Cox (7/22/1802 - ) She m. Henry Wade.
Braxton Cox (7/26/1806 - )
Paul Cox (1/29/1808 - died young)
Eunice Cox (1/12/1811 - ) She m. Joshua Wilson 6/10/1831.
Mastin Cox (7/6/1813 - d. 1913 in Illinois) He m. Belinda Wilson 11/9/1831. They lived in Illinois.
Aris Reed Cox (6/6/1817 -1860) He m. Irene Maberry
36. Peter Schlosser, (1/20/1710, St. Arnaud, Nassau, Saarbruch, Germany - 1/8/1790, Whitehall Township, Northampton Co, PA), son of (#72) Jost Schlosser and (#73) Margaretha Frey. He arrived in Philadelphia 9/30/1732 on the ship Dragon, accompanied by his brother Leonhardt. They settled in Lebanon, PA. He took the Oath of Allegiance 9/30/1737. (Most of the early data on this family is from old Lutheran Reformed Church records in the area) Bur: Sharpsburg, Washington Co, MD 37. Maria Margaretha Wesenbech, (ca. 1715, Germany - died in PA). The m. in PA. They had:
Peter Schlosser, Jr. (ca. 1735, PA - )
John Frederick Slusher (8/1737, Lancaster Co, PA - ) He m. Anna Otillia.
Anna Barbara Slusher (4/1738, Lancaster Co, PA - ) She m. Balthasar Schally
Anna Christina Slusher (4/12/1742, Lancaster Co, PA - )
Maria Barbara Slusher (1/14/1745, Lancaster Co, PA - )
George Ernst Slusher (8/8/1746, Lancaster Co, PA - )
Catherine Margaretha Slusher (1/10/1748, Lancaster Co, PA - )
John Heinrich "Henry" Slusher (8/2/1751, Lancaster Co, PA - )
John Slusher (9/10/1754, Lancaster Co, PA - 1840, Montgomery Co, VA)
Christopher Slusher (#18)
42. Daniel Simpkins, (ca. 1744 - ) Currently under research.
44. Matthew Cox, Sr., (pre-1730, Goochland Co, VA - 1804, Wilkes Co, NC.), son of (#88) Matthew Cox and (#89) Mary_____. He m1: Mary Bagley (They had no known children); m2: Lucy Dickerson, ca. 1762, Halifax Co, VA. He and his second wife moved to Surry Co, NC in 1786, then later moved to Wilkes Co, NC. 45. Lucy Dickerson, (ca. 1737, Hanover Co, VA - 1832, Caldwell Co, NC), daughter of (#90) Griffith Dickerson and (#91) Sarah ______. She m1: Abraham Spencer of Halifax Co, VA, ca. 1755 They had:
Griffith Spencer (1756 - )
Abraham Spencer (1757 - )
Susannah Spencer (1758 - )
Lucy Spencer (1758 - ) She m. Peter Reed
John Spencer (1761 - )
She m2: Matthew Cox, Sr. They had:
Carter Cox (1762, Botetourt or Halifax Co, VA - 3/1852, Floyd Co, VA) He m. Nancy Reed and lived in Montgomery/Floyd Co, VA.
Mastin Cox (1765 - ) He moved to GA.
Aris T. Cox (1775 - ) He moved to KY
Ambrose N. Cox (#22)
Matthew Cox, Jr. (5/4/1773 - ) He moved to NC
Braxton Cox (12/29/1780 - ) He m. Nancy Ellison
Delphine Cox (She m. William Roberts)
46. George Reed, (ca. 1730, (?)Scotland - 1807, Montgomery Co, VA). 47. Anna/Nancy Wigington, (ca. 1735 - post 1807) They m. pre-1770. They came from PA and settled in Franklin Co and later Floyd Co, VA. They had:
Humphrey Reed (He m. Sarah _____ She died 9/15/1869 at the age of 76)
George Reed, Jr. (He m. Nancy McGeorge 7/18/1786, Montgomery Co, VA
Andrew Michael Reed
Sarah "Sally" Reed (#23)
Jesse Reed ( - d. 5/27/1865 in Floyd Co, VA of diarrhea) He m. Delia ______.
Nancy Ann Reed
Elizabeth Reed (She m. Morrel Dickerson)
72. Jost Schlosser, (ca. 1686, Germany - ), son of (#144)Heinrich Schlosser and (#145) Anna Maria Schampar. 73. Margaretha Frey, (ca. 1690, Germany - ) They m. prob. in Germany. She arrived in Philadelphia 9/1734. They had:
Peter Schlosser (#36)
88. Matthew Cox, (ca. 1695, (?)England - 1735, Goochland Co, VA) He is reputed to be of Irish descent. 89. Mary _____, They had:
Matthew Cox (#44)
90. Griffith Dickerson, (ca. 1707 - post 1778), son of (#180) Nathaniel Dickinson, Sr. and (#181) Elizabeth Garland(?) 91. Sarah _____. They had:
Lucy Dickerson (#45)
144. Heinrich Schlosser, (ca. 1662, Germany - ), son of (#288) Friedrich Schlosser and (#289) Christina Schenck. 145. Anna Maria Schampar, (ca. 1666, Germany - )They m. prob. in Germany. They had:
Jost Schlosser (#72)
180. Nathaniel Dickinson, Sr., (ca. 1678 - pre-1742, Caroline Co, VA) 181. Elizabeth Garland(?) They had:
Nathaniel Dickinson (ca. 1700, New Kent Co, VA(?) -9/1753, Louisa Co, VA)
Elizabeth Dickerson (ca. 1704, New Kent Co, VA(?) - )
Griffith Dickerson (#90)
(daughter) Dickinson (ca. 1710, New Kent Co, VA(?)
James(?) Dickerson (ca. 1714 - )William Dickenson
288. Friedrich Schlosser, (ca. 1638, Germany - ) 289. Christina Schenck, (ca. 1642, Germany - ) They had: